E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Incorrect fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d saphire black, beige leather, 124 alloys, auto, wood trim, Advanced air con

I stupidly filled up my beautiful 530d engine with unleaded. I only realised as I drove off the forcourt, so stopped the car immediately (400 - 800 yards) and called bmw emergency service. They towed the car in, and the local garage is saying that they need to change all components that come into contact with the fuel and this is going to cost between 4-?5000 yes you read it correct. I have told them to drain the fuel flush it out and change the filters. Has anyone else had this stupid problem. and what was the final outcome. I keep kicking myself when I think how stupid i,ve been.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pedlar17' post='267229' date='Apr 10 2006, 06:46 PM
I stupidly filled up my beautiful 530d engine with unleaded. I only realised as I drove off the forcourt, so stopped the car immediately (400 - 800 yards) and called bmw emergency service. They towed the car in, and the local garage is saying that they need to change all components that come into contact with the fuel and this is going to cost between 4-?5000 yes you read it correct. I have told them to drain the fuel flush it out and change the filters. Has anyone else had this stupid problem. and what was the final outcome. I keep kicking myself when I think how stupid i,ve been.
I'm afraid that is the correct diagnosis. It's now a common problem with modern diesels. Apparently, even just turning the ignition is enough because of the 'priming' performed!

I guess they could do the 'flush' but BMW won't honour any warranties!
Old 04-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Senior Members

How much diesel did you put in ? If you only drove 400-800 yards you should get away without causing any damage to your car as the petrol would not have reached the engine in that short period (with a bit of luck).
Old 04-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d saphire black, beige leather, 124 alloys, auto, wood trim, Advanced air con

There was about 1/4 tank of deisel left in the tank and then I filled up with unleaded on top. The car did not seem to drive any different. What damage could be done?
Old 04-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

Originally Posted by pedlar17' post='267229' date='Apr 10 2006, 07:46 PM
how was that possible to happen? normally the fillers have different sizes, so that you can't plug in the wrong filler. the unleaded fillers are bigger than the diesel fillers.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Members

I dont know, it must be the other way around unleaded nozzles are smaller than diesel.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Members

This is a bad thing to do. It is only possible to do it this way around. The diesel nozzle won't fit into an unleaded tank. Two of my work colleagues have done the same thing. They were Audi's, neither drove any distance (like yourself) but both resulted in change of filters etc costing ?500+. If any engine damage (or warranty damage ) is caused, a few thousand is quite possible.
I would think if any damage is done, you will know about it immediately. If not, the engine may 'die' prematurely, but either way you're paying. I'd try to persuade them to let you take the risk.

Good luck
Old 04-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pedlar17' post='267294' date='Apr 10 2006, 08:22 PM
There was about 1/4 tank of deisel left in the tank and then I filled up with unleaded on top. The car did not seem to drive any different. What damage could be done?
Some articles to read:

AA
Telegraph
Old 04-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

Bugger - I feel for you....

A garage near me actually made the same mistake recently and put diesel in the unleaded tank....about 30 or so cars were scuppered.

If it makes you feel better once you filled it there was nothing you could have done. Just unlocking the car with the key fob primes the fuel system.

Insurance ???
Old 04-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Interesting & unfortunate problem. From the AA article:

"Any petrol present can cause scarring of the pump elements, and the seals can be damaged by compounds found in petrol. The combustion efficiency of an engine designed for petrol will be very poor if it?s fed diesel fuel, and the resulting unburned fuel passing through to the exhaust can cause the catalyst to overheat."

I had no idea! It seems too easy to do and very expensive to correct.

Quick Reply: Incorrect fuel