E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing an e60 to Canada - Daytime running lights.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my car across the border last week.

The US Customs were no problem.

The Canadian customs treated like me a criminal and did not believe the purchase price I gave them for duty and tax calculations. I was not trying to hide anything. Eventually they accepted the bill of sale and all the emails I had about the transaction. I paid the $5500 Can and I was off.

I took the car into the dealer to have the daytime running lights activated. This turned out to be very difficult for them. They had to update software, swap a module in and out etc. etc. In the end I was out $320 for the DRL activation, and $220 for the out of province inspection. The DRL charge seems like alot, but I know how long it took them, and it was actually a fair charge by an hourly rate. They said normally they charge $120 for it, but this took them along time, and allot of calls to the germany to get sorted. I just wish I had a US dealer do it. I suspect they would not have had the same troubles.

I just need some paperwork from the Federal Government, and then I think I'm done!

Bill
Old 04-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Strange, I have had daytime running lights since I picked up my ride last year.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhorne' post='410688' date='Apr 5 2007, 10:03 PM

The Canadian customs treated like me a criminal and did not believe the purchase price I gave them for duty and tax calculations. I was not trying to hide anything. Eventually they accepted the bill of sale and all the emails I had about the transaction. I paid the $5500 Can and I was off.

I took the car into the dealer to have the daytime running lights activated. This turned out to be very difficult for them. They had to update software, swap a module in and out etc. etc. In the end I was out $320 for the DRL activation, and $220 for the out of province inspection. The DRL charge seems like alot, but I know how long it took them, and it was actually a fair charge by an hourly rate. They said normally they charge $120 for it, but this took them along time, and allot of calls to the germany to get sorted. I just wish I had a US dealer do it. I suspect they would not have had the same troubles.

I just need some paperwork from the Federal Government, and then I think I'm done!

Bill
Turning on/off the DRL is a five minute job. You shouldn't have to pay for the dealer's incompetence. Try to find another dealer. This one is only good for fitting Elk shoes.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya DRL activation or deactivation is really really simple. I took my car in to get them deactivated... and it literally took them less then 5 mins. Honestly... I dropped it off... I spoke with the advisor and then watched them drive my car to the back and before I was able to finish getting my coffee and sit down on the couch I watched my car come back out...
Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

Did you take it to Edmonton or Bavaria for the DRL activation?
Old 04-06-2007, 04:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by blinkme_210' post='410779' date='Apr 6 2007, 03:41 AM
Did you take it to Edmonton or Bavaria for the DRL activation?

I took it to Bavaria. Bavaria also thought it should take 5 minutes, and they say they have done many. There appeared to a problem with the software and/or a module. The real question is whether it should be a warranty claim, since the specifications for the car say that this can be done. Bavaria obviousily thought they couldn't claim it, and somebody had to pay for their time.

Bill
Old 04-06-2007, 06:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhorne' post='410797' date='Apr 6 2007, 08:10 AM
I took it to Bavaria. Bavaria also thought it should take 5 minutes, and they say they have done many. There appeared to a problem with the software and/or a module. The real question is whether it should be a warranty claim, since the specifications for the car say that this can be done. Bavaria obviousily thought they couldn't claim it, and somebody had to pay for their time.

Bill
Bill,
If they determined a problem with the LM or the software then it is a warranty claim. The work for turning the DRL on/off is the only thing that they should have charged you for, eventhough BMW NA states in one of their SIBs that should be offered for free as a courtecy to the customer along with washing and filling the car with gas. You may want to call BMW NA Customer Relations to let them know but I don't think they will do anything.

Regards
Old 04-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='410811' date='Apr 6 2007, 07:12 AM
Bill,
If they determined a problem with the LM or the software then it is a warranty claim. The work for turning the DRL on/off is the only thing that they should have charged you for, eventhough BMW NA states in one of their SIBs that should be offered for free as a courtecy to the customer along with washing and filling the car with gas. You may want to call BMW NA Customer Relations to let them know but I don't think they will do anything.

Regards
hi, i am in canada myself

just curious was it brand new or used?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi

Originally Posted by bhorne' post='410688' date='Apr 5 2007, 07:03 PM

Bill
Wait, I just got 2007 530xi. I am in US but I am always driving with lights on. I went to iDrive settings, Vehicle/Tires and checked 'Daytime Running Lights' checkbox. I also keep light switch in rightmost position. Car turns light off automatically when I shut down the engine and exit the car.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

In Canada, DRL's are required to be on by law. We do not have the option in idrive to turn them off or on. That's one of the differences between the US and CA software.

Quick Reply: Importing an e60 to Canada - Daytime running lights.