E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Implications of Software Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545 (Dec. 2003 production date)

I have my 12/03 build 545i in for service right now. My vehicle has Sirius pre-wire, but no Navigation. The service is for replacement of the cr***y Dunlop runflats (BMW covering 1/2, dealership covering 1/2), installation of the Sirius radio, upgrade of the SW to 15.2 and replacement of the drivers side seat leather due to seat warmer recall.

My question is will the upgrade to 15.2 cause conflicts with the original TCU and therefore require a replacement of the TCU (hopefully under warranty) so that I can enable BT?

I know there is a lot going on in this post and I can clarify if needed, but at the end of the day, I would like to get BT working on my vehicle without spending 1500-2000 for a new TCU. I have read other posts where they have been able to get the dealership to do this under warranty due to incompatibility issues, and was wondering what drove the incompatibility?

Let me know your thoughts and any ideas you might have in working with my dealerships master service tech.

Thanks, Bob
Old 03-23-2005, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I wouldn't hold my breath on the 15.2 having some conflict that requires TCU replacement under warranty. My 1/04 build has the same set up (no Nav, sirius etc) as your and the software upgrade was done, though it did take FOUR DAYS!!!! I guess there is always a chance you could get lucky. I would call everyday to see if my car was ready and they would say that they couldn't get the new software to "take". I guess if the problems persisted, they might have changed something under warranty. Someelse did have a problem requiring a new TCU, so keep you fingers crossed!
Old 03-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Mar 23 2005, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath on the 15.2 having some conflict that requires TCU replacement under warranty.? My 1/04 build has the same set up (no Nav, sirius etc) as your and the software upgrade was done, though it did take FOUR DAYS!!!!? I guess there is always a chance you could get lucky.? I would call everyday to see if my car was ready and they would say that they couldn't get the new software to "take".? I guess if the problems persisted, they might have changed something under warranty.? Someelse did have a problem requiring a new TCU, so keep you fingers crossed!
[snapback]105585[/snapback]
At this point, I guess this is the best I can hope for. They had my car for 10 days last time and basically did nothing except wreck it and repair the damage. They have managed to wreck (both fairly minor) both of our BMWs (X5 and 545) while they were in for warranty repairs/mntc. They have been fairly sheepish, but so far the only favor they have done me is agree to pay for the 1/2 replacement cost of the tires since they failed to catch the excessive wear before 10K miles during my oil change. Lots of apologies, lots of phone calls, but little action. The bummer is that the next closest dealer is 30 miles away.

Oh well, I guess we will see how long it takes them to complete these repairs and if they agree to anything if it starts to be excessive again.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:22 PM
huy
Contributors

rahbimmer.. Welcome! another member from Rocklin.. that's 2 i think.. did you take your car to Roseville?.. i had Niello enable BT on my 05/04 a few weeks ago.. think it was their first time doing such a task..

not sure how i'm going to handle the tire replacement yet.. it only has 4500 miles so far.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rahbimmer' date='Mar 23 2005, 12:54 PM
My question is will the upgrade to 15.2 cause conflicts with the original TCU and therefore require a replacement of the TCU (hopefully under warranty) so that I can enable BT?
[snapback]105565[/snapback]
I agree, don't count on it. I was one of the lucky ones who got their TCU replaced under warranty. They were trying to update me to CIP 13.2 and it just would not take. They had my car (for a handfull of reasons) for a week before they gave up. But this was pure luck. A handfull of folks here have hoped for the same situation and most (if not all) have been disappointed.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by huy' date='Mar 23 2005, 06:22 PM
rahbimmer.. Welcome! another member from Rocklin.. that's 2 i think.. did you take your car to Roseville?.. i had Niello enable BT on my 05/04 a few weeks ago.. think it was their first time doing such a task..

not sure how i'm going to handle the tire replacement yet.. it only has 4500 miles so far.
[snapback]105745[/snapback]
Yes, it was Roseville. There service is mediocre at best, but they are convenient. Look's like you have a bichon. We have one as well. Can't post a picture as I am not sure how that works.

I can't get BT to work on my car as it was a pre-03/04 production, so they have to replace the TCU if it is to work. I was trying to get it done under warranty, but so far there is nothing fatal with the TCU and the SW upgrades keep working.

How hard is it to mess up a good SW upgrade?

Oh well, I guess I will have to pick up my car and enjoy the new tires, new seat and Sirius radio they installed.