E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Imbalanced Hood (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm having a very strange problem. the hood is imbalanced ! the left side's (driver's side) gap is a lot wider than the right side. i can easily put my pinkie in the gap on the left side but not the right side. even the ending point on the left side of the hood (close to a-pillar and wind shield) is sticking out a bit . the gap is from the kidney grille all the way up to the end of the hood. the hood is closed completely and i checked there is nothing inside the hood that makes it imbalanced. i'll take it down to the dealer and have them take a look today or tomorrow. has anyone experienced this before?

Hood
Old 07-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Jul 6 2004, 04:12 PM
i'm having a very strange problem. the hood is imbalanced ! the left side's (driver's side) gap is a lot wider than the right side. i can easily put my pinkie in the gap on the left side but not the right side. even the ending point on the left side of the hood (close to a-pillar and wind shield) is sticking out a bit . the gap is from the kidney grille all the way up to the end of the hood. the hood is closed completely and i checked there is nothing inside the hood that makes it imbalanced. i'll take it down to the dealer and have them take a look today or tomorrow. has anyone experienced this before?

Hood
hello,

i had the same problem with the bumper misaligned to the fender. call Tony at BMW of Honolulu's Service Department or ask for the Foreman. they had to re-adjust the problem and now it matches up perfectly.

btw, i am selling my '04 BMW 5-series. http://5forsale.tripod.com if you know anybody interested.

aloha,

Mike Chen
808-542-1844
Old 07-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Senior Members

i talked to tony a couple times and seems like he's the only nice guy around there. i'll go down there and ask for him. thank you.

btw, the pic on the left is you? how come it looks different than the one in your site?
Old 07-06-2004, 02:30 PM
Members

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Jul 6 2004, 04:25 PM
i talked to tony a couple times and seems like he's the only nice guy around there.? i'll go down there and ask for him.? thank you.

btw, the pic on the left is you?? how come it looks different than the one in your site?
hi there,

tony is a good man indeed; yah, the pic in the avatar is yours truly with the wifey...

for more pics of me and the 2002 audi a4 (my last car), check it out at: http://a4sale.tripod.com -- a very lucky gentleman in las vegas is enjoying that a4, how i miss building it and driving the quattro!!!

aloha,

mike chen
808-542-1844
http://www.goodrealtor.info
Old 07-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Members

btw, simple fix to your situation is to lift the hood to about your chest height, then slam the hood shut. it cured my hood misalignment. apparently, the hinge doesn't catch well if you gently shut it (the hood) so you kinda have to give it a bit downforce and it'll shut snugly. good luck! mike
Old 07-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Yeah ... your hood is not properly closed. It has to latch in 3 places and needs to be slammed pretty hard to get it latched properly. I closed mine gently the first time and ended up with the same problem. Slam that sucker!
Old 07-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by mynew5-fka-t4t3hybrid' date='Jul 7 2004, 01:48 AM
btw, simple fix to your situation is to lift the hood to about your chest height, then slam the hood shut. it cured my hood misalignment.? apparently, the hinge doesn't catch well if you gently shut it (the hood) so you kinda have to give it a bit downforce and it'll shut snugly.? good luck! mike
I had that same problem on a loaner and when I downforced it a bit the problem was solved. If not your dealer will fix it!
Give it a try, alohalc.

Aloha !
Old 07-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

I noticed on my car that the hood did not align on the dirver's side up by the windshield/windscreen. Is that an easy fix?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

guys, i'll give it a hard slam tonight . hope it'll solve the problem. will keep you guys posted. thank you.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Senior Members

yeah u got to slam it hard! i had problems closing it initially cos i thought it would close like my e46, then the dealer told me since this hood is aluminium n very light, i could slam it shut!

Quick Reply: Imbalanced Hood (w/pics)