E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm sick of Japanese cars and my friend!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay...now i need all you guys to help me out on this. I have a friend who cherishes Acura and pretty much all japanese cars. Since the time I got my 545i last year, every month or so he would tell me about him seeing an article in Car & Driver about how BMW got rated low compared to Acura, and how Japanese is soo much better and blah blah blah. I kept on listening to him as I thought if I like my BMW then I don't care what anyone thinks. But today was the last draw....he kept on bringing up the topic of how Lexus GS430, Infinity M, and the Acura RL beat BMW 530i in overall rating by one of the major car magazines. Now i know 530i i probably not up to par with the GS or the M but its close enough. He kept on raving how BMW wasn't in the top 3.

I need YOUR help in finding ANY articles online (as many as possible) that compares these new cars and where BMW has a higher rating. I so desperatly need to shut him up. HELP
Old 05-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 525D with M-Sport Package (M-rear spoiler incl.) - Manual Drive - Carbon black - amethyst leather (2 tone) - Summer: styling 128 rims (245/35 R19Y - 275/30 R19Y on Michelin PS2) - Winter: styling 135M rims (245/40/18ZR on Dunlop M3 SP Winter Sport)- Logic7 - Nav.Syst.Prof. - bluetooth - xenon - adapt. headl.- PDC - Sun Protection Glass - Through Load Syst. - M5 mirrors - Chrome Grill - Extended Inter. Light Package - Front Seat Heating and...the amazing floormats

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='May 3 2005, 12:56 AM
Okay...now i need all you guys to help me out on this.? I have a friend who cherishes Acura? ? and pretty much all japanese cars.? Since the time I got my 545i last year, every month or so he would tell me about him seeing an article in Car & Driver about how BMW got rated low compared to Acura, and how Japanese is soo much better and blah blah blah.? I kept on listening to him as I thought if I like my BMW then I don't care what anyone thinks.? But today was the last draw....he kept on bringing up the topic of how Lexus GS430, Infinity M, and the Acura RL beat BMW 530i in overall rating by one of the major car magazines.? Now i know 530i i probably not up to par with the GS or the M but its close enough.? He kept on raving how BMW wasn't in the top 3.?

I need YOUR help in finding ANY articles online (as many as possible) that compares these new cars and where BMW has a higher rating.? I so desperatly need to shut him up.? HELP?
[snapback]123118[/snapback]
Since he's so fond of japanese, you could always serve him some 3 week old sushi. Usually does the job in shutting people up
Old 05-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Since he's so fond of japanese, you could always serve him some 3 week old sushi. Usually does the job in shutting people up
[snapback]123125[/snapback]
[/quote]

I like this advice - however will not totally solve the problem.

Here is what I tell people when having a debate about Jap cars.

First of all, you will never win the discussion of which car is best! So, I give into the fact that if you are looking for a good, reliable and very luxury oriented car, the Lexus, Acura, Infinity are GREAT cars and if that is what you are interested in, then one of these cars is for you.

If you are looking for an unbelievable driving machine "The Ultimate Driving Machine", then you buy BMW.

You can not understand this tag line until you own one or spend 500 miles behind the wheel pushing the envelope.

Yes, I will probably be in the shop more for repairs and my repair cost will be higher, but that is what you get when you own a car that pushes the envelope. They do get dinged on electronics and some of the gadgets.

Shit, I almost bought a used e39 instead of the e60 because of what the mag guys said. They ripped Idrive, Active steering and did not give much credit to active roll. Just shows how much they know, Idrive is not a problem, I have enjoyed active steering, active roll is incredable, not to mentioned more HP, better ride and quieter than the e39. They are still pissed about the styling changes and have not gotten over it.

My 545i will accelerate faster, is more perfectly balanced, will stop better (not just once, but as long as you want to push it without brake fade and warped rotors), and can push almost 1g of lateral force to be a contender with a Corvette or Porshe, while still providing a luxury environment and a great ride without rattling your teeth.

The Jap cars go for satisfying the ride for the cost of handling/performance - that is what most people buy. The BMW will sacrafice some ride for unbeatable handling.

Just this Sunday I was talking to a gentleman that was raving about the new Lexus and adaptive headlights - shit, BMW had adaptive headlights 2 years ago.

BMW owners don't have to win a debate - all we need to do is get in our cars and drive and the reward happens right after the engine starts.

Pull a BMW up to a valet service and see who's car gets parked in the front. Not that this is what I bought mine for, but it is something I have noticed since I owned it.

If that does not work, then go with the 3 week old sushi!
Old 05-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Check out:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=10468
Old 05-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='May 2 2005, 03:56 PM
Okay...now i need all you guys to help me out on this.? I have a friend who cherishes Acura? ? and pretty much all japanese cars.? Since the time I got my 545i last year, every month or so he would tell me about him seeing an article in Car & Driver about how BMW got rated low compared to Acura, and how Japanese is soo much better and blah blah blah.? I kept on listening to him as I thought if I like my BMW then I don't care what anyone thinks.? But today was the last draw....he kept on bringing up the topic of how Lexus GS430, Infinity M, and the Acura RL beat BMW 530i in overall rating by one of the major car magazines.? Now i know 530i i probably not up to par with the GS or the M but its close enough.? He kept on raving how BMW wasn't in the top 3.?

I need YOUR help in finding ANY articles online (as many as possible) that compares these new cars and where BMW has a higher rating.? I so desperatly need to shut him up.? HELP?
[snapback]123118[/snapback]

why do you think you need to prove anything?

To compare a V8 to a L6 already puts BMW behind.

No to mention the fact that C&D rigged the test.

C&D took 2k off the sticker of the GS430 (GS as tested in that comparison is almost $58k). They over inflated 530i cost by about 2K.

They took a 530i none sport/none navi to justify how well the japanese car handled.

The fact of matter is that 530i with Sports pkg would beat all cars in that comparison in the handling department. OR if C&D wanted to play fair, they could have asked for a base 545i and still would be cheaper than the GS430 they tested.

My guess is that BMW no longer pays a lot of ads in C&D anymore hence, the testing standard changed.

What's worse is that they could have waited another 2 month to do the test with the 255HP L6 which would match GS430's performance.

I will agree that some area that E60 is not as good as the japanese. But that test in C&D was never fair to begin with. It was designed to fit the result that C&D was looking for.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jsal' date='May 2 2005, 05:24 PM
[snapback]123125[/snapback]
I like this advice - however will not totally solve the problem.

Here is what I tell people when having a debate about Jap cars.

First of all, you will never win the discussion of which car is best! So, I give into the fact that if you are looking for a good, reliable and very luxury oriented car, the Lexus, Acura, Infinity are GREAT cars and if that is what you are interested in, then one of these cars is for you.

If you are looking for an unbelievable driving machine "The Ultimate Driving Machine", then you buy BMW.

You can not understand this tag line until you own one or spend 500 miles behind the wheel pushing the envelope.

Yes, I will probably be in the shop more for repairs and my repair cost will be higher, but that is what you get when you own a car that pushes the envelope. They do get dinged on electronics and some of the gadgets.

Shit, I almost bought a used e39 instead of the e60 because of what the mag guys said. They ripped Idrive, Active steering and did not give much credit to active roll. Just shows how much they know, Idrive is not a problem, I have enjoyed active steering, active roll is incredable, not to mentioned more HP, better ride and quieter than the e39. They are still pissed about the styling changes and have not gotten over it.

My 545i will accelerate faster, is more perfectly balanced, will stop better (not just once, but as long as you want to push it without brake fade and warped rotors), and can push almost 1g of lateral force to be a contender with a Corvette or Porshe, while still providing a luxury environment and a great ride without rattling your teeth.

The Jap cars go for satisfying the ride for the cost of handling/performance - that is what most people buy. The BMW will sacrafice some ride for unbeatable handling.

Just this Sunday I was talking to a gentleman that was raving about the new Lexus and adaptive headlights - shit, BMW had adaptive headlights 2 years ago.

BMW owners don't have to win a debate - all we need to do is get in our cars and drive and the reward happens right after the engine starts.

Pull a BMW up to a valet service and see who's car gets parked in the front. Not that this is what I bought mine for, but it is something I have noticed since I owned it.

If that does not work, then go with the 3 week old sushi!
[snapback]123134[/snapback]
[/quote]

hahaha...that was excellent
Old 05-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's not worth the argument. If you want to shut up your friend, agree with him and he'll have nothing else to say. Congratulate him on his fine choice of car and tell him how much you wish you'd have chosen one just like it.

In all seriousness, it's easier to not engage someone who's clearly not going to be swayed by anything you say or do...
Old 05-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Contributors

dude, don't sweat it. at the end of the day, you're the one with the e60, and that's all that matters.

for those that don't get it (auto writers or japanese car fanboys), it does'nt matter.
f**k em. who cares, man?

it's all about you, and how you feel about your ride.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:41 PM
NES
Members

It may just be me, however when I see any type of advertisement or sponsorship in a publication, I immediately refuse to trust them as a "reliable source". You know who the reliable source is... us. We all know that the test was not fair, but why do we get bothered? We know what few problems the e60 has but it still wont make us change our cars... Here's the deal... How is an old timer editor going to accept such a drastic change as idrive when they are behind the wheel for only a few miles for the test? Get in the car and you reep the rewards of idrive when you drive at least a few hundred miles. Mags... well read them for entertainment, not data!
Old 05-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Find some place where you can safely race him, hopefully with lots of twists and turns. That should shut him up.

Quick Reply: I'm sick of Japanese cars and my friend!!!