E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Im scared of SMG reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='221233
Originally Posted by Rudy' post='221150' date='Jan 8 2006, 07:59 PM
I can't say you won't have problems but you seemed convinced that you will. Sure there are some people that have had issues but I think it's safe to say that there are more people who haven't had any problems with their SMG.

If I were you, I'd get one and also be sure to purchase an extended warranty to cover you after the standard warranty. I'd say that's something you should have even with a steptronic...
Good call on the extended warranty! I want to go for it, I have the opportunity to test drive a SMG M3 this week to see how I like the SMG.
Be warned, the E46 M3 SMG is very different from the E60 5er SMG. The M3 setup is by far and away better and more advanced than the one for the 5er.

As to you original question ... I'm simply scared of the reliability of the E60, in general.
[/quote]

How is the M3 smg more advanced & better? I have an appt to drive a M3 smg this weekend, it is the only smg the dealer has for me to drive... will i get an accurate idea of how it will be? I plan to test drive in auto & manual modes...
Old 01-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by delirium' post='223149
Originally Posted by delirium' post='221217' date='Jan 8 2006, 07:20 PM
[quote name='Rudy' post='221150' date='Jan 8 2006, 07:59 PM']
I can't say you won't have problems but you seemed convinced that you will. Sure there are some people that have had issues but I think it's safe to say that there are more people who haven't had any problems with their SMG.

If I were you, I'd get one and also be sure to purchase an extended warranty to cover you after the standard warranty. I'd say that's something you should have even with a steptronic...
Good call on the extended warranty! I want to go for it, I have the opportunity to test drive a SMG M3 this week to see how I like the SMG.
Be warned, the E46 M3 SMG is very different from the E60 5er SMG. The M3 setup is by far and away better and more advanced than the one for the 5er.

As to you original question ... I'm simply scared of the reliability of the E60, in general.
[/quote]

How is the M3 smg more advanced & better? I have an appt to drive a M3 smg this weekend, it is the only smg the dealer has for me to drive... will i get an accurate idea of how it will be? I plan to test drive in auto & manual modes...
[/quote]

A little history of the Sequential Manual Gearbox (or SMG) by BMW and then some technical points to really tease out the differences and nuances between SMG in non-M cars and SMG in ///M cars.

THE HISTORY

SMG I

SMG was first introduced in Europe in the E46 3 series. This is SMG I and is essentially what you will find now in the current North American production models of the Z4 (E85), 5er (E60), and the 6er (E63/64).

SMG II

This is what you will find in the current E46 M3.

SMG III

This is what you will find in the current E60 M5 and the soon to come M6.

TECHNICAL DETAILS

SMG I really only provides two modes - auto and manual. The shifts in manual are, in general, crisp and fast enough -- and faster depending on how high the rpms are revved.

SMG II by contrast contains drivelogic settings S1 to S6. S6 is engaged by turning of DSC. S1 shifts the slowest. S6 shifts the fastest and produces a noticeable "clunk" -- it's almost violent sounding. There are also similar drivelogic settings for the auto mode -- e.g., A1 to A5 (no A6 setting). The software underpinning the SMG II provides a more aggressive shift pattern and mapping structure than the SMG I.

SMG III basically builds on the SMG II, and advances it bit on the shifting speeds (e.g. clutch engagement/disengagement, etc.) Contains the same type of drivelogic settings but adds an additional speed. SMG III is a seven speed gearbox.

Now, if you drive the M3 SMG, I would suggest setting the drivelogic setting at around S3. This will be the best fascsimile of what the E60 SMG would be like. I would also suggest you drive the Z4 with an SMG (if you can find one) -- this would be the best representation of what the E60 woudl be like with the SMG.

Also, the Auto mode in any of the SMG iterations are basically worthless in my opinion. The shifts are jerky and if not done properly can in many ways constitute a great commercial for Dramamine.

Have fun with your test drive and good luck shopping.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Members

What about resale value on a SMG versus a Steptronic. I would think that a steptronic would hold its value better because it is a luxury vehicle & most people dont want the SMG, hence none on the lots... what do you guys think?
Old 01-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Steptronic will probably sell easier and better.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by delirium' post='223565' date='Jan 12 2006, 07:59 PM
What about resale value on a SMG versus a Steptronic. I would think that a steptronic would hold its value better because it is a luxury vehicle & most people dont want the SMG, hence none on the lots... what do you guys think?
Yup. Compared to the Step, resale values for SMG is definitely lower. That's why BMW pulled SMG from the E90 and is seriously considering removing SMG technology (for the NA market anyway) from all non ///M models.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Dealers actually push buyers away from SMG. Couple dealers I went to when I was looking tried to get me to stay away from SMG.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='223582' date='Jan 12 2006, 11:49 PM
Dealers actually push buyers away from SMG. Couple dealers I went to when I was looking tried to get me to stay away from SMG.
I can imagine that resale would be less.. what a bummer, any more input? Resale? Reliability?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by delirium' post='223866
I can imagine that resale would be less.. what a bummer, any more input? Resale? Reliability?
[/quote]

Nope not really... thats pretty much it. I say go for it if you like it. Enjoy it. Dont worry too much... It'll still be fine...
Old 01-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Contributors

Over 16K miles on mine, and no issues, except for the occasional driver error.

Would I buy another one for long term? Yes. If not available, would get manual.

If they have any older model 3 series with SMG (not M), would be similar, also the Z4 previously stated by Rudy to the E60 SMG. I test drove a 330Ci with SMG before ordering my car. Have not driven the M style SMG.

Would like to state that would be wonderful, if the normal manual mode shifts were as fast as the Sport Manual Mode, and that the Sport Manual mode was faster. Mine is always in manual Sport. Most of the time, shifting with the selector rather than the paddles.