E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I'm Now in a Hemi Charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are those car as hemi as they are advertised? how about corning and handling?...i forgot...american cars do not speak that language
Old 04-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

FYI, some driving thoughts on the Charger R/T Hemi:

Yes, it is powerful (and thirsty). The stock Goodyears are awful and the suspension is soft. What is most troubling is the floaty power steering. I have a fairly steep, winding, but well-paved city road down to my river-front house and it's not unusual to take it at 40-45 mph in the 545. Sunday morning, I started down the road and hit the second turn at my usual clip and WHOA, this thing was like a marshmello at the 45 mph mark heading into a moderate turn. It wasn't out of control, but it certainly wasn't reassuring.

I think it was mostly the lack of our weighted power steering at speed, but also, no assisted steering, the crappy all season tires, and marginal sedan suspension, but I got one of those unnerving tingles down my spine that said SLOW down NOW. Oh, and the brakes are average/adequate, but not up to sport-driving standards.

It will pickup and surge when asked though; just do it in a straight line. I'd be curious to know what the SRT or whatever they call the more sporting model offers. I do like the upright seating, and the car is a lot easier for me (6'3") to get in and out of, and the steering wheel doesn't need to power itself up and out of the way for me to get in.

Forward visibility is a hoot: It's like riding in a Peterbilt with one of those steel sun visors. From my all-the-way-back seating position, it seems like the base of the windshield is at least 50 inches away, and the top edge of the windshield is about 30" ahead. I'll try to take a picture to convey the hooded perspective; it really is unique. Rearward/C pillar view blockage is right up there in Noseeum land with ours.

Don't know how long I'll have it (no word from my dealer on my Electronic Fault diagnositcs), but I'm glad I took it instead of the I35. This is a lot more car, and more suited to my size; it just needs to be tightened up in the handling department by about 25%, and I bet decent tires might cover nearly half of that. It would be more appropriate to compare this to a MB that is a bit softer than BMW.

Would I own one if I had to? Yup, but pass the options tray this way.

Ray Hull