E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AS: I'm getting accustomed to it

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 12:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Well, after some dissatisfaction with the AS setting on my 535d, I'm getting now accustomed to it and started to appreciate it more and more. What confused me, at the beginning, was the difference in behaviour I noticed between my previous 530d and my current 535d, both of them AS equipped. On my 530d (the equivalent of UK sport package) I never complained about AS, great at low speed as well at very high speed. On the contrary, on the 535d (an Eccelsa-means luxury-package) I didn't feel at easy with AS at very high speed, noticing uncertain control of the steering wheel in the middle of high speed turn, where you needed to correct the rotation angle of the steering wheel to keep your track. Unpleasant at least.

Now, thing have changed completely, through the following actions:
-I switched to the fatter heated steering wheel, which greatly improves the feeling with it and allows a firmer grip
-I switched to no-RFT Michelin PS2; they are a whole world apart from the wooden-carved Dunlop RFT the car was equipped with
-I updated the CIP version and now the AS is firmer and more responsive at high speed.

Now I'm totally satisfied with it, still having the nimble behaviour at low speed and along twisty roads but also getting a very sporty and direct feeling when driving at very high speed. No complain any more.

BTW, since few weeks, after all the minor issues of AS feeling, bad tyres and few squeaks have been fixed, I really enjoy every time I drive my 535d: the overall pleasure of driving it is so great that I look for any pretext to use it! (And my new bike is collecting dust in the garage)!

Long live to BMW

Originally Posted by Lucky' post='224450' date='Jan 15 2006, 10:33 AM
Well, after some dissatisfaction with the AS setting on my 535d, I'm getting now accustomed to it and started to appreciate it more and more. What confused me, at the beginning, was the difference in behaviour I noticed between my previous 530d and my current 535d, both of them AS equipped. On my 530d (the equivalent of UK sport package) I never complained about AS, great at low speed as well at very high speed. On the contrary, on the 535d (an Eccelsa-means luxury-package) I didn't feel at easy with AS at very high speed, noticing uncertain control of the steering wheel in the middle of high speed turn, where you needed to correct the rotation angle of the steering wheel to keep your track. Unpleasant at least.

-I switched to the fatter heated steering wheel, which greatly improves the feeling with it and allows a firmer grip
-I switched to no-RFT Michelin PS2; they are a whole world apart from the wooden-carved Dunlop RFT the car was equipped with
-I updated the CIP version and now the AS is firmer and more responsive at high speed.

Now I'm totally satisfied with it, still having the nimble behaviour at low speed and along twisty roads but also getting a very sporty and direct feeling when driving at very high speed. No complain any more.

BTW, since few weeks, after all the minor issues of AS feeling, bad tyres and few squeaks have been fixed, I really enjoy every time I drive my 535d: the overall pleasure of driving it is so great that I look for any pretext to use it! (And my new bike is collecting dust in the garage)!

Long live to BMW
Sorry, mikstake: the original tyres where Bridgestone Potenza, not Dunlop. The Dunlop RFT equipped my previous 530d, and were not so bad (but still way worse than the superb Michelin PS2)
Old 01-15-2006, 12:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Lucky' post='224450' date='Jan 15 2006, 09:36 AM
Do you know which CIP you're running now?
Old 01-15-2006, 04:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by colejl' post='224454
[/quote]
19 something. The dealer told me before Xmas to be ready for another up-grade in January because BMW informed them, via e-mail, that a new software will be available to give to all Pro-Nav equipped cars MP3 capability. Tomorrow I'll ask them to agree a day for that.

Cheers
Old 01-15-2006, 05:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Lucky' post='224501
Originally Posted by Lucky' post='224450' date='Jan 15 2006, 09:36 AM
19 something. The dealer told me before Xmas to be ready for another up-grade in January because BMW informed them, via e-mail, that a new software will be available to give to all Pro-Nav equipped cars MP3 capability. Tomorrow I'll ask them to agree a day for that.
[/quote]
That would make sense. v19 fixed both AL (Adaptive Lighting) and AFS (Active Front Steering) sensitivity. My v18 is suffering - the lights don't turn much at low speeds like they used to and I feel the steering needs the tweaks under 30mph too... (Details here AL+AFS)

edit: In fact I've just found this by fiddling with URLs! AFS Sensitivity - only affects earlier (e.g. mine) models, pre 9/05.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Lucky' post='224450' date='Jan 15 2006, 04:36 AM
Sorry, mikstake: the original tyres where Bridgestone Potenza, not Dunlop. The Dunlop RFT equipped my previous 530d, and were not so bad (but still way worse than the superb Michelin PS2)
You took all the right steps. I am glad it all worked out well for you.