E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm confused about the CIP update process ( I'm in the UK )

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: UK 2005 535d Sport & Audi Q7 S-Line Vis Pack, Media Pack, Heated fronts and Rears, HUD, Servo Steering,

OK,

I'm pretty clued up on BMWs and in IT matters so after having read almost every post on all the E60 based forums I understood a software upgrade was performed by the dealer plugging my car into a diagnostics computer ( progman ), then connecting to BMW in Germany and downloading to my car the latest version that was available.

My dealer is telling me this is not the case.

He says it's done as I thought but not downloaded from anywhere but updated from a disc they have called CIP ( which is where the version CIP number comes from I guess )

So if this is the case then why in theory if you had both the progman software and a CIP disc couldn't you update your own software ? Note I said in theory as I know this can crash and cause problems.

The reason my car's in for a software update is to enable MP3 playback so my newly fitted iPod interface will be recognized and also so my iPhone 3G has a better chance of working.

I have other questions as well, I've read about people installing the iPod interface and saying because there car was MP3 enabled ( which mine isn't ) when they unplugged there CD Changer and plugged in the interface it just worked. I changed the devices over and then sent the car to have its MP3 option enabled but was told that the dealer was unable to update the car software as it was erroring because the devices it knew about ( the CD Changer ) weren't there. He made me take the CD Changer down so they could swop them back, then after the initial code they swop them over again and perform the update....I didn't think it happened like this or at least thats what others have been saying.

My last question is, my dealer says my car is only a version behind the current version ( which is what ever version his disk is which I'm hoping to find out later today ) so what is the latest UK version as I if he calls me and says his disk is CIP 27 there are later versions right ?

Sorry for the rant but it's been there 3 days now and they seem to hit problem after problem and I'm not confident anything is going to have been sorted when I get the car back

Thanks for reading

Si
Old 09-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F10 M5 DMS RE-MAP 770BHP All Black

Originally Posted by BigladUK' post='666807' date='Sep 11 2008, 12:03 AM
OK,

I'm pretty clued up on BMWs and in IT matters so after having read almost every post on all the E60 based forums I understood a software upgrade was performed by the dealer plugging my car into a diagnostics computer ( progman ), then connecting to BMW in Germany and downloading to my car the latest version that was available.

My dealer is telling me this is not the case.

He says it's done as I thought but not downloaded from anywhere but updated from a disc they have called CIP ( which is where the version CIP number comes from I guess )

So if this is the case then why in theory if you had both the progman software and a CIP disc couldn't you update your own software ? Note I said in theory as I know this can crash and cause problems.

The reason my car's in for a software update is to enable MP3 playback so my newly fitted iPod interface will be recognized and also so my iPhone 3G has a better chance of working.

I have other questions as well, I've read about people installing the iPod interface and saying because there car was MP3 enabled ( which mine isn't ) when they unplugged there CD Changer and plugged in the interface it just worked. I changed the devices over and then sent the car to have its MP3 option enabled but was told that the dealer was unable to update the car software as it was erroring because the devices it knew about ( the CD Changer ) weren't there. He made me take the CD Changer down so they could swop them back, then after the initial code they swop them over again and perform the update....I didn't think it happened like this or at least thats what others have been saying.

My last question is, my dealer says my car is only a version behind the current version ( which is what ever version his disk is which I'm hoping to find out later today ) so what is the latest UK version as I if he calls me and says his disk is CIP 27 there are later versions right ?

Sorry for the rant but it's been there 3 days now and they seem to hit problem after problem and I'm not confident anything is going to have been sorted when I get the car back

Thanks for reading

Si
Sorry Si,

Change it for the M5 Imediatley, sorry mate I cant help you
Old 09-11-2008, 01:00 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2005 535d Sport & Audi Q7 S-Line Vis Pack, Media Pack, Heated fronts and Rears, HUD, Servo Steering,

Thanks
Old 09-11-2008, 02:50 AM
Members

OK update

Just called the dealer and they have the CIP 30 disk so thats good news but they can't recode ( software upgrade my car ) when the iPod Interface is installed as it errors wanting the CD Changer to be there. They thought there disk was "broken" so rolled back there software to 26 and have tried again but this still does not work so they have now raised a PUMA case.

I bought the interface off ebay and was assured it was working fine when it was removed from the X5 but who knows...

On the plus side the dealer said they are waiting on there CIP 31 disk to arrive so this might or might not fix my iPhone problem ( along with the new 2.1 iPhone software tommorrow )

Fingers crossed and I'll keep you updated on my progress
Si
Old 09-11-2008, 03:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by BigladUK' post='666848' date='Sep 11 2008, 06:50 AM
OK update

Just called the dealer and they have the CIP 30 disk so thats good news but they can't recode ( software upgrade my car ) when the iPod Interface is installed as it errors wanting the CD Changer to be there. They thought there disk was "broken" so rolled back there software to 26 and have tried again but this still does not work so they have now raised a PUMA case.

I bought the interface off ebay and was assured it was working fine when it was removed from the X5 but who knows...

On the plus side the dealer said they are waiting on there CIP 31 disk to arrive so this might or might not fix my iPhone problem ( along with the new 2.1 iPhone software tommorrow )

Fingers crossed and I'll keep you updated on my progress
Si
Some info for you:

Upgrades are performed using their current system called SSSR2 (Software Service Station Rev2) although new systems are coming and may be at some dealers. This is connected to vehicle via special connectors/adaptors. The software (PROGMAN) resides on this computer. PROGMAN updates are obtained by the dealer via two methods - major update via CD/DVD; minor via BMW intranet system (various names used for description) The overarching level is called CIP. When a CIP xx.xx.xx (lets use 30.00.00 in this case) is received it covers ALL BMW models. However, PROGMAN MAY have changed for one model (3 series lets say) but not the 5 series. This of course causes much confusion at dealers and with owners when the SA or tech says I updated you to 30.00.00 but in fact you may have identical software to the same model vehicles using 29.00.02 - example only may not be true in this case. The REAL level of software within a particular series is identified by Target Data Status (TDS). This number has a model / date / level identifier that is what really counts. Current CIP 30.00.00, 30.00.01 and 30.00.02 are all TDS E060-08-03-550. And ONLY the dealer can tell you what this is on iDrive equipped vehicles

As for your particular issue it all stems from your car not being "coded" for iPod after you did the install. That is a typical and common problem for DIY. No problem in the install and making it work the initially, but any software upgrade will crash until your vehicle is coded as"Retrofitted" with the iPod. Your dealer is correct in saying it expects to see the 6CDC. thefolks at the technical center responding to his PuMA input will tell him/tech to go through the process of coding the iPod retrofit and THEN they can update your software, with any newer version.

Cannot speak to iPhone problems and fixes as I have not been following that saga.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:47 AM
Senior Members

Yes please do. Mine goes in for an update on the 19th. My eyebrow lights are not working. I was not sure what the latest software is. it looks like 30 or 31. Will need to see what they put on mine.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='666855' date='Sep 11 2008, 12:47 PM
Some info for you:

Upgrades are performed using their current system called SSSR2 (Software Service Station Rev2) although new systems are coming and may be at some dealers. This is connected to vehicle via special connectors/adaptors. The software (PROGMAN) resides on this computer. PROGMAN updates are obtained by the dealer via two methods - major update via CD/DVD; minor via BMW intranet system (various names used for description) The overarching level is called CIP. When a CIP xx.xx.xx (lets use 30.00.00 in this case) is received it covers ALL BMW models. However, PROGMAN MAY have changed for one model (3 series lets say) but not the 5 series. This of course causes much confusion at dealers and with owners when the SA or tech says I updated you to 30.00.00 but in fact you may have identical software to the same model vehicles using 29.00.02 - example only may not be true in this case. The REAL level of software within a particular series is identified by Target Data Status (TDS). This number has a model / date / level identifier that is what really counts. Current CIP 30.00.00, 30.00.01 and 30.00.02 are all TDS E060-08-03-550. And ONLY the dealer can tell you what this is on iDrive equipped vehicles

As for your particular issue it all stems from your car not being "coded" for iPod after you did the install. That is a typical and common problem for DIY. No problem in the install and making it work the initially, but any software upgrade will crash until your vehicle is coded as"Retrofitted" with the iPod. Your dealer is correct in saying it expects to see the 6CDC. thefolks at the technical center responding to his PuMA input will tell him/tech to go through the process of coding the iPod retrofit and THEN they can update your software, with any newer version.

Cannot speak to iPhone problems and fixes as I have not been following that saga.
WOW Thanks for that info..

So in theory they could leave the 6CDC in there and update the software enabling MP3 playback as they do it then just pop back in the iPod adapter.....then happy days.

Oh well I guess they'll work it out eventually

Si
Old 09-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by BigladUK' post='666862' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:16 AM
WOW Thanks for that info..

So in theory they could leave the 6CDC in there and update the software enabling MP3 playback as they do it then just pop back in the iPod adapter.....then happy days.

Oh well I guess they'll work it out eventually

Si
Yes that would make the iPod system work, but then it too has to be coded as being installed in your car configuration so that you do not run into teh same issues you have now with the system halting the update because it expects a 6CDC and yyou do not have one.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Members

I asked for a MP3 retrofit to be done and they charged me ?53. they didnt think it would work but a search on thsi site for the relevent BMW bulletin lied to them i had a friend in bmw who said pass to your bmw techincian and he will know what to do -
MP3 works ok now on my 2004

What is this eyebrow lights not working are they available for a 2004 E60 530i
Old 09-13-2008, 02:28 AM
Members

UPDATE

Thanks CobraDav you were of course right and they confirmed that the retro fitting of the iPod in the MOST was the problem stage they were at. Good news is that BMW came back to them and told them the problem would be gone if they used the newest version of the CCC software with they got yesterday and is version 31.

So hopefully on Monday I should have my car back all working correctly with the very very latest software and with a bit of luck my iPhone ( now running 2.1 ) will be working fully.

My fingers are crossed

Si

Quick Reply: I'm confused about the CIP update process ( I'm in the UK )