E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iLove iDrive

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 06:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 545i, titanium gray, gray interior with poplar trim, sport package, cold weather package, premium sound

I can't believe all the fuss made by the media about how difficult iDrive is to operate. I have driven my new 545 for a little over a week now, and I really like the iDrive. I had no difficulty operating it from the beginning, but the more I use it, the more I like it. I love being able to control everything without ever taking my arm off the armrest! I understand that a lot of the negative comments about the iDrive were actually aimed at the 7 series, but on the 5 it is not difficult to operate at all.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d (Jan 2005) premium pack, pro nav, steptronic

Agree despite some software bugs and slow response time with Nav
Old 09-07-2005, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by jtsutton1' date='Sep 7 2005, 09:48 AM
I can't believe all the fuss made by the media about how difficult iDrive is to operate.? I have driven my new 545 for a little over a week now, and I really like the iDrive.? I had no difficulty operating it from the beginning, but the more I use it, the more I like it.? I love being able to control everything without ever taking my arm off the armrest!? I understand that a lot of the negative comments about the iDrive were actually aimed at the 7 series, but on the 5 it is not difficult to operate at all.
[snapback]167863[/snapback]
I feel the same way about the I Drive but if you have Voice Command and get used to it you will find yourself using the I Drive less and less.
cheers
vern
Old 09-07-2005, 07:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jtsutton1' date='Sep 7 2005, 07:48 AM
I can't believe all the fuss made by the media about how difficult iDrive is to operate.
Keep in mind that these are the same folks that use a keyboard to navigate around their PCs, and prefer DOS over Windows.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I think that the problem with the media is that they usually only get a car for review for a few hours. If they can't figure something out (face it, they aint brain surgeons) they trash it in the review. The same with active steering and other features. It honestly took me about 6 months to get comfortable with this car. Between the power and all the technology I was a bit overwhelmed. But now you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands to get it away from me.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 545i, titanium gray, gray interior with poplar trim, sport package, cold weather package, premium sound

Originally Posted by JG996' date='Sep 7 2005, 11:09 AM
[quote name='jtsutton1' date='Sep 7 2005, 07:48 AM']I can't believe all the fuss made by the media about how difficult iDrive is to operate.
Keep in mind that these are the same folks that use a keyboard to navigate around their PCs, and prefer DOS over Windows.
[snapback]167870[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ahh, yes. Living in 1987.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I loved idrive until I added this 2006 Range Rover to the fleet, with the touch screen. A touch screen really is better. A combination of a touch screen and idrive would probably be the ultimate.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by jtsutton1' date='Sep 7 2005, 09:48 AM
I can't believe all the fuss made by the media about how difficult iDrive is to operate.? I have driven my new 545 for a little over a week now, and I really like the iDrive.? I had no difficulty operating it from the beginning, but the more I use it, the more I like it.? I love being able to control everything without ever taking my arm off the armrest!? I understand that a lot of the negative comments about the iDrive were actually aimed at the 7 series, but on the 5 it is not difficult to operate at all.
I like it too. Same experience as you.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The concept of iDrive is just similar to iPod. iPod owners knows what I mean - Rotate and click to go down to submenu. If those old fart media folks does not like iDrive, I'm sure they don't know what the iPod for.
When I first answered the survey from some third party company regarding my new E60, I commented that iDrive sucks and it was just a few weeks after owning E60. As times goes by, I realize that iDrive is a very nice feature.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Sep 7 2005, 12:49 PM
I loved idrive until I added this 2006 Range Rover to the fleet, with the touch screen. A touch screen really is better. A combination of a touch screen and idrive would probably be the ultimate.
[snapback]167916[/snapback]
I respectfully disagree. I use a touch screen extensively on a Honda Odyssey and although it appears easier at first, it becomes more cumbersome to use because you have to keep taking your eyes off the road to find the right "button" to press. There is no tactile feedback so your finger can't feel if it's touching the right button, etc. With iDrive, I can glance at the screen quickly and know that I need to do something like turn right two clicks, then push down. Also, some touch screens I've seen, including my Odyssey, aren't perfectly calibrated so you need to press slightly above where you think you should press to accurately select the right function. (This may be just on my car -- I can't say for sure.)

When I'm driving the Honda, I find myself wishing I had an iDrive controller to operate the darn thing!

Oh, and I won't even get into the grease prints on the screen issue...

Quick Reply: iLove iDrive