E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Illogical BMW "Break-in" Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

This topic assumes that you know about correct engine break-ins.

I'm laying in bed one night, reflecting all the information I have read about break-in process for new motors. Then I remember BMW's advice and here's what I have came up:

1. FACTS: Racing experts say to do "hard" break-ins to get the most power. Engine may not last. Street experts say to break-in moderately. Just about everyone say NOT to use synthetic oil, but regular oil.
Logic: Break-in moderately because you want the balance of power and lasting. Why does BMW put synethic oil in and tell you not to change the oil until 14K miles?

2. FACTS: Experts say that the break-in process is relatively short - about 20 miles to 100 miles.
Logic: To be liberal, lets say maximum of 500 miles for break-ins. Why does BMW say 1200 miles? Is it because the synthetic oil? Expert say not to use it; additionally, you must change the oil after break-ins.

3. FACTS: Experts say that 2K RPM will not help seal the rings. You must do at least 3K RPM. Varying RPM is advised.
Logic: BMW says to vary speed (maybe RPM too). City driving - that makes sense if you can put above 2.5K RPM. Highway driving? Varying from 55 mph to 85 mph will attract lots of wanna-be racers - one minute you pass them, the other minute you slow down. Additionally, you would have to shift to vary over 1K RPM difference (2k to 3.5K)

Conclusion:
BMW's break-in process is bogus. First, you don't use synethic oil to break-in because it won't seal as good as regular oil. Second, you need to have an oil change ASAP after a break-in because of the particles in the filters and oil. Third, varying speed won't do the trick because you need at least 3K RPM to seal the rings. So what is BMW trying to do?

1. Cover themselves legal.
2. Ensure that owners don't screw anything up for the first 1200 miles. Extend the probability of something not breaking down sooner.
3. Let owners have the fun by being magnets for wanna-be racers.

In my opinion, BMW already "BROKE-IN" your engine (by way of testing) before it was matched to the car chassis. For some of us who bought the car at 40 Odometer, it was broken-in by customers testing or at the distribution center.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

Have there really been any big engine difficulties with BMWs that are broken in this way? Would BMW continue to recommend such a process (they have recommended this process with synthetic oil for ages) if it turned out that the engines would say goodbye after X miles? I don't think so. I think the break-in process is safe and sound, but again, I think you'd have to be a bit reckless to do something very wrong in the break-in period. In the end, I would guess you overall driving style would determine the lifespan of the engine and it's parts.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Aug 30 2005, 01:49 PM
This topic assumes that you know about correct engine break-ins.

I'm laying in bed one night, reflecting all the information I have read about break-in process for new motors. Then I remember BMW's advice and here's what I have came up:

1. FACTS: Racing experts say to do "hard" break-ins to get the most power. Engine may not last. Street experts say to break-in moderately. Just about everyone say NOT to use synthetic oil, but regular oil.
Logic: Break-in moderately because you want the balance of power and lasting. Why does BMW put synethic oil in and tell you not to change the oil until 14K miles?

2. FACTS: Experts say that the break-in process is relatively short - about 20 miles to 100 miles.
Logic: To be liberal, lets say maximum of 500 miles for break-ins. Why does BMW say 1200 miles? Is it because the synthetic oil? Expert say not to use it; additionally, you must change the oil after break-ins.

3. FACTS: Experts say that 2K RPM will not help seal the rings. You must do at least 3K RPM. Varying RPM is advised.
Logic: BMW says to vary speed (maybe RPM too). City driving -? that makes sense if you can put above 2.5K RPM. Highway driving? Varying from 55 mph to 85 mph will attract lots of wanna-be racers - one minute you pass them, the other minute you slow down. Additionally, you would have to shift to vary over 1K RPM difference (2k to 3.5K)

Conclusion:
BMW's break-in process is bogus. First, you don't use synethic oil to break-in because it won't seal as good as regular oil. Second, you need to have an oil change ASAP after a break-in because of the particles in the filters and oil. Third, varying speed won't do the trick because you need at least 3K RPM to seal the rings. So what is BMW trying to do?

1. Cover themselves legal.
2. Ensure that owners don't screw anything up for the first 1200 miles. Extend the probability of something not breaking down sooner.
3. Let owners have the fun by being magnets for wanna-be racers.

In my opinion, BMW already "BROKE-IN" your engine (by way of testing) before it was matched to the car chassis. For some of us who bought the car at 40 Odometer, it was broken-in by customers testing or at the distribution center.
[snapback]165188[/snapback]
Get your facts straight;Up to 1200 miles vary both engine and vehicle speed don't go over 100 mph or exceed 4,500 rpm,(at 120mph I still wasn't up to 4,500 rpm).If BMW says to use syenthic oil thats good enough for me and probably 99% of the other people that have BMW's.This is my third BMW and I followed BMW's break in instructions and never had any engine or differential problems.If you check the facts BMW has one of the best engines in the world so they must be doing something right. Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 08-30-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Why risk the possibility of shortening component life? It's only for a few miles, so just do it. You'll have several 100K more to thrash it.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm not saying who's right here but I have a problem with the term "experts." Who's to say who's an expert and who's to say who's not an expert?

Wouldn't BMW be the "experts" on their own engines? Who are the experts that Bimmer32 is quoting?

You can break the car in any way you choose. In my case I choose to follow the recommendations of BMW since I feel they are the most qualified to decide what's best for the car they designed and built.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Contributors

I agree that the break-in is probably done prior to the engine being matched to the car - Also - the average person (read non enthusiast) is not going to follow any sort of break in period. I'm on my 6th BMW and have never had any sort of an engine, seal, or transmission problem prior to 100,000 miles. I must say I have not followed the break in and have usually purchased the car I test drove, which was certainly not babied!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Green-Crayon' date='Aug 30 2005, 01:28 PM
I agree that the break-in is probably done prior to the engine being matched to the car - Also - the average person (read non enthusiast) is not going to follow any sort of break in period.? I'm on my 6th BMW and have never had any sort of an engine, seal, or transmission problem prior to 100,000 miles.? I must say I have not followed the break in and have usually purchased the car I test drove, which was certainly not babied!
[snapback]165210[/snapback]
Yeah, but the average person is not going to beat the crap out of it either.....
Old 08-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

I'm not even certain that BMW recommends a break-in period on the e60. My dealer said that BMW no longer recommends it. Can anyone point to a document / manual item from BMW that specifies a recommended break-in period for e60s?
Old 08-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Aug 30 2005, 01:49 PM
I'm not even certain that BMW recommends a break-in period on the e60.? My dealer said that BMW no longer recommends it.? Can anyone point to a document / manual item from BMW that specifies a recommended break-in period for e60s?
[snapback]165220[/snapback]
It definitely is in the Owner's Manual. Here is part of Page 107:

Break-in period
Moving parts need breaking-in time to adjust to
each other. To ensure that your vehicle continues
to provide optimized economy of operation
throughout an extended service life, we request
that you devote careful attention to the following
section.
Engine and differential
Up to 1,200 miles/2,000 km:
You should attempt to vary both engine and
vehicle speeds. Until the break-in period has
been completed, you should also refrain from
exceeding an engine speed of 4,500 rpm or a
driving speed of 100 mph/160 km/h.
Always obey all official speed limits.
Avoid full-throttle operation and use of the
transmission's kick-down mode during these
initial miles.
Once you have driven 1,200 miles/2000 km, the
engine and vehicle speeds can be gradually
increased.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

watso ever... my BMW guys said for the brake-in vary the rpms and as diesel do not go over 3000rpm and he said that I can do the 200km/h the next day - I got it w 002kms- then avoiding big brakes will be advised also.

Took the car now on a 4200kms trip at 900kms I felt the car awaking up at 1500kms I tried the Sport mode in Steptronic and then rev it up to even 4000 rpm, and now it flies went over 222km/h as the traffic damn-did not allowed more but beated all the cars except one porsche

Mine is a DEcreased performance one -10bhp less for the reg tax here is HIGH, but then it will be remapped to 250bhp , but even w 210bhp reduced by BMW Factory it flies like an angel (inside )

E60

Quick Reply: Illogical BMW "Break-in" Recommendation