E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

If your battery dies how do you start your car if you can't get into your trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5
Default If your battery dies how do you start your car if you can't get into your trunk?

I am currently stuck in a lot at Costco, after I get all the shopping done, I go to the car to unlock, the alarm goes off and I can't open the doors. Unlocked manually, but can't access the trunk to get to the battery. Is it possible to boost the car from the front end? The oe lock assembly is covered by an m5 style trunk lid plate/cover.

CAA tried to boost but nothing, no power. Any ideas?

Last edited by Bimmer5project; 11-14-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Update
Old 11-14-2014, 11:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer5project
I am currently stuck in a lot at Costco, after I get all the shopping done, I go to the car to unlock, the alarm goes off and I can't open the doors. Unlocked manually, but can't access the trunk to get to the battery. Is it possible to boost the car from the front end? The oe lock assembly is covered by an m5 style trunk lid plate/cover.
When you say boost if you mean jump the battery to start the car, then yes you can boost the car from the front end.

In fact the two terminals under the hood (positive under the black plastic cover with the +, and the negative hex bolt on the left (drivers side US) strut tower), is the ONLY place you should jump start the car or use a battery tender to charge the battery. Both battery cables on the car are expensive and easily damaged, and you don't want to clamp jumper cables on to them.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:58 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Jump start only from the under hood terminals.

Don't know about your car, but my 2006 E60 trunk has a key hole also. Pull the key out of the fob and use it to get into the trunk.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

try and get that OE m5 style cover off and to get into the boot. Or connect booster cables on the front and try pressing the trunk button on the key, but that won't work if the following happened: a mates E60 went dead all of a sudden (speedo clocks all froze, remote trunk key not doing anything) but there was 12v available under the hood. Looked in the trunk and found the +ve battery cable that went to the fuse panel was lose....
Old 11-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Members

My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
try and get that OE m5 style cover off and to get into the boot. Or connect booster cables on the front and try pressing the trunk button on the key, but that won't work if the following happened: a mates E60 went dead all of a sudden (speedo clocks all froze, remote trunk key not doing anything) but there was 12v available under the hood. Looked in the trunk and found the +ve battery cable that went to the fuse panel was lose....
Is the OE Style trunk cover glues or clipped on?
Old 11-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

I have no idea what the OE style truck cover is, but I do know the OEM M5 trucklid doesn't have a keyhole (well not visible at least...)

how about pressing the truck release button near the gas pedal?
Old 11-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

positve battery terminal is located under the hood, negative attachment point should be mounted to the left strut tower. These are the points you should use to jump start the car. no trunk access is required. good luck.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Members

I have no idea what the OE style truck cover is, but I do know the OEM M5 trucklid doesn't have a keyhole (well not visible at least...)

how about pressing the truck release button near the gas pedal?
The M5 trunk cover, goes over the keyhole and is either glued or clipped down.

So no access to keyhole, unless I pry the cover and risk damage.

The trunk release needs power, so that wont work.

Spoke with the dealer, saying that the only way to open it is to pry it open..
Old 11-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Members

This sounds dead on.

I did mess with the terminals a while back. I may have forgotten to tighten. I think the only way to get to the trunk is to pull the rear seats or break open the trunk.

Thanks for your input!
Old 11-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Members

https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...inisher-30140/

a thread I found with the M5 finisher, the real name of the part. I'm trying to remove.

Quick Reply: If your battery dies how do you start your car if you can't get into your trunk?