E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

If BMW asked you ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Twin exhausts like the E63
2. More interior storage space
3. LED brake lights
Old 09-29-2005, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Sep 28 2005, 11:21 PM
As I was reading this article about how Cadillac polled its celebrity clientele on design/styling features to make the Escalade the "King of Bling", it got me to thinking ...

If BMW did the same thing and asked its most loyal 5er customers (i.e. us!? ), what would you suggest?? Let's limit it to 3 suggestions.

Here are mine:

1.? More distinctive exhaust note.
2.? Panorama glass roof (a la the 6 series and the MB E-class).
3.? OEM BBK with nice big, red calipers.? ?
[snapback]176709[/snapback]
There are some additional thoughts on this issue on this thread.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Cryo-treated rotors and ceramic pads. Kill the brake dust! (sure you can do it yourself, but why not from the factory?)

Turbocharged N52.

Limited Slip Differential.

Performance Exhaust option like Porsche - for those who don't mind a bit of extra noise for power.

DSG tranny.

New BT profiles:

SAP (for SIM copying to an in-car phone)
A2DP, GAVDP, AVRCP (audio and control)
BIP (passing images and reformatting to the screen - could be from the phone when a caller calls)
VDP (video from a portable player to the screen in the car)

"Power Pad" technology to charge/power devices by placing them on a surface (no cords - no compatibility or wiring woes)

Better color choices

Liquid crystal privacy glass (all windows) that can only be switched on when the car is off - to completely block prying eyes and sunlight from entering the car.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

1. LSD
2. No CDV
3. Wings
Old 09-29-2005, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Sep 29 2005, 04:08 PM
Cryo-treated rotors and ceramic pads.? Kill the brake dust!? (sure you can do it yourself, but why not from the factory?)

Turbocharged N52.

Performance Exhaust option like Porsche - for those who don't mind a bit of extra noise for power.

DSG tranny.

New BT profiles:

BIP (passing images and reformatting to the screen - could be from the phone when a caller calls)

"Power Pad" technology to charge/power devices by placing them on a surface (no cords - no compatibility or wiring woes)

Better color choices

Liquid crystal privacy glass (all windows) that can only be switched on when the car is off - to completely block prying eyes and sunlight from entering the car.
[snapback]176942[/snapback]
'Hope you watching this BMW Germany!
Old 09-29-2005, 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Sep 29 2005, 11:08 PM
Cryo-treated rotors and ceramic pads.? Kill the brake dust!? (sure you can do it yourself, but why not from the factory?)

Turbocharged N52.

DSG tranny.

New BT profiles:

Better color choices

Hmm.... How much should BMW charge for all this??
Old 09-29-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Sep 29 2005, 10:24 AM
[quote name='UUronL' date='Sep 29 2005, 11:08 PM']Cryo-treated rotors and ceramic pads.? Kill the brake dust!? (sure you can do it yourself, but why not from the factory?)

Turbocharged N52.

DSG tranny.

New BT profiles:

Better color choices

Hmm.... How much should BMW charge for all this??
[snapback]176953[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, the brakes will likely never happen, but perhaps we'll get an all-ceramic option - those usually run in the thousands of dollars.

Turbo Engine will likely be a different model - most likely several thousand dollar increase as well.

LSD - zero

Performance exhaust option? If it gave more power - ~15+ hp I'd say they could get probably $2K for such an option.

DSG Tranny - cost of the SMG

BT Profiles - zero

Power Pad technology - shouldn't be optional - just part of the next gen's features

Liquid Crystal privacy glass - this may not be practical yet, so I wouldn't want to venture a guess as to cost. I've seen it used where I work, but I have no idea what power it would require or how it reacts to the elements and bright sunlight/glare when clear.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Members

How about getting rid of I-drive, and give me a mouse pad instead (like those on the laptops).

I like the idea of i-drive. But a better menu structure and a mouse pad will be even better.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by donv' date='Sep 29 2005, 09:51 AM
[quote name='ipse dixit' date='Sep 28 2005, 11:21 PM']As I was reading this article about how Cadillac polled its celebrity clientele on design/styling features to make the Escalade the "King of Bling", it got me to thinking ...

If BMW did the same thing and asked its most loyal 5er customers (i.e. us!? ), what would you suggest?? Let's limit it to 3 suggestions.

Here are mine:

1.? More distinctive exhaust note.
2.? Panorama glass roof (a la the 6 series and the MB E-class).
3.? OEM BBK with nice big, red calipers.? ?
[snapback]176709[/snapback]
There are some additional thoughts on this issue on this thread.
[snapback]176934[/snapback]
[/quote]Many have great suggestions. But, given all things, I would like for BMW to offer performance options between the 550i and the M5--i.e., sort of an AMG program for those not wanting something as all-out racy as, say, an M5. And, I would like the option of having a ZSG gearbox. Finally, assuming I bought a Steptronic again, I would like some changes in the way the Steptronic works:

1. In general, the shifting could be a tad quicker in both DS and manual.
2. When shifting manually, I want to hit a rev limiter if I go beyond red line rather than have the Step shift for me. Similarly, I would like the Step to be a little more flexible in allowing me to hold gears before red line is reached.
3. After manual shifting has been engaged, I want the Step to downshift to 1st and to revert to DS once a complete stop has occurred.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Members

1) Slight angle to the center stack with the dials/screen. Create a bit more of a cockpit feel like the last gen 5ers.
2) Better spread on the engine power between the 525, 530, 550 and M5. Maybe something like 250hp, 300 hp, 390 hp, then 500hp.
3) Touchscreen capability instead of solely iDrive

Quick Reply: If BMW asked you ...