E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iDrive went black

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 07:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

Can iDrive be switched off? Mine just went blank.... anyway to reboot?

tubbs
Old 06-17-2004, 08:01 AM
Members

Nevermind, she's back..... wonder what happened....

strange.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:02 AM
Members

Idrive cant be turn off.. to reboot just turn off and on the key
Old 06-17-2004, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I believe the iDrive screen can be turned off, but it is in the vehicle settings menu, not something you would accidently trigger I would think. I've never done it, but when you do turn off the iDrive screen, I have seen other posters complain that it's not truly off, and that when it gets dark enough, you can still see the screen glowing. If yours is totally black, sounds like a failure of some sort.

Glad its back, must have rebooted itself. Sometimes when I start my car, the iDrive screen doesn't come up right away and it seems to reboot more than once. And on even rarer occasion, I have to press the iDrive knob to get it going.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:18 AM
Contributors

You can assign "display off" to a steering wheel button on mine, not that I'd want to
Old 06-17-2004, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's true that "display off" doesn't really turn it off, just sort of turns it gray.

As far as the problem you encountered tubbee, I've seen it many times in the morning after waking the car up.

Sometimes you'll see the BMW screen for a long time (while this is showing, my US spec car shows the odometer and other readings in km instead of miles), then it'll go completely blank, then it'll come up normally.

We can only hope that the coveted version 12 will put this glitch to rest.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:40 AM
Members

Glad its back, must have rebooted itself. Sometimes when I start my car, the iDrive screen doesn't come up right away and it seems to reboot more than once. And on even rarer occasion, I have to press the iDrive knob to get it going.
I notice as well that the idrive takes time to come up only if you get into the car without pressing the keyfob to open the door (ie if the car was left open). When you press the keyfob to unlock the doors it turns on the idrive and loads all your preferences (radio stations, etc) on that keyfob.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

You may be on to something. I seem to notice it only in the morning when I get into my unlocked car in my garage.

Good call!
Old 06-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

interesting all the different quirks. I always keep my car locked when I'm not in it (New Orleans isn't the safest of cities) and always use the keyfob to unlock, yet still have the delay sometimes. As for Rudy's screen, I don't ever recall seeing the odometer on the iDrive screen, I'll have to pay closer attention to see if I ever get that.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

kscarrol, I wasn't very clear.

The odometer information that displays in km instead of miles is in the usual odometer place between the speedometer and tachometer, not the iDrive screen. (The iDrive screen is still either black or displaying only the BMW screen during this time.)

The most frustrating part of this glitch is that the PDC visual display doesn't come up until everything is initialized. That means I get to hear the beeps as I'm backing out of my garage and into my driveway but can't use the visual display at all since I'm already driving away from the house by the time the iDrive screen initializes.

Quick Reply: iDrive went black