E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive Video Multimedia

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I'm enjoying my XCarlink along with the BIG saving / cost difference. There are TWO connections that have to be switched over, the two at the fiber optics. If you don't do this, the system will not work properly. This info is not in the original instructions and the company provides this in another email. It does not come with a backup camera but you can buy these all day long for around $25.00. Just trying to figure out why someone would want to buy a MMN and spend nearly double the cost. I honestly can't see where its twice as good...! When you look at at the systems, they look very similar and I would be surprised if they are not coming from the same or similar source.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Just trying to figure out why someone would want to buy a MMN and spend nearly double the cost. I honestly can't see where its twice as good...! When you look at at the systems, they look very similar and I would be surprised if they are not coming from the same or similar source.

I am with you Tony. I tried 3 times before getting the MMN one. Basically, the first time around, I almost fried my iDrive monitor (and shelled 800 bucks at the stealer to repair it who didn't want to touch it without replacing the tapped cables) when the instructions told me to tap into wires. I returned the unit and burnt 50 bucks on shipping etc. The second time around I bought the unit from XCarLink and everything worked except that the car won't switch to the rear camera on reverse and flicker once in a while. XCarlink wanted me to ship it back to the UK and refunded my money (minus shipping). Then I gave up and ordered MMN and Kris gave me a good discount and great service. Infact the first two times when I was trying to install another aftermarket module, he was very helpful in helping me sort out whats going on.

Today, I am more comfortable using an aftermarket system on my car. But I think we all start somewhere and MMN offers a system that will work for sure (and has a real person who is willing to help on the phone). For me, 6+ months of trial and error and the PTSD from burning my iDrive monitor while tapping wires was not worth the $200 I was trying to save (well I ended up paying ~$100 on shipping my old units back).

So all in all, I am with you. I was in the same boat as you are and wanted to try out the aftermarket units. I just got unlucky I guess.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
I am with you Tony. I tried 3 times before getting the MMN one. Basically, the first time around, I almost fried my iDrive monitor (and shelled 800 bucks at the stealer to repair it who didn't want to touch it without replacing the tapped cables) when the instructions told me to tap into wires. I returned the unit and burnt 50 bucks on shipping etc. The second time around I bought the unit from XCarLink and everything worked except that the car won't switch to the rear camera on reverse and flicker once in a while. XCarlink wanted me to ship it back to the UK and refunded my money (minus shipping). Then I gave up and ordered MMN and Kris gave me a good discount and great service. Infact the first two times when I was trying to install another aftermarket module, he was very helpful in helping me sort out whats going on.

Today, I am more comfortable using an aftermarket system on my car. But I think we all start somewhere and MMN offers a system that will work for sure (and has a real person who is willing to help on the phone). For me, 6+ months of trial and error and the PTSD from burning my iDrive monitor while tapping wires was not worth the $200 I was trying to save (well I ended up paying ~$100 on shipping my old units back).

So all in all, I am with you. I was in the same boat as you are and wanted to try out the aftermarket units. I just got unlucky I guess.
Exactly, I don't need the backup camera, but this is the only wire that has to be connected to the backup power wire. If I recall correctly, I think it's somewhere around the gear shift /console, it was clear when I read the instructions on what to do. Since I don't need a camera, it really made no sense to just about double the cost when everything else was basically the same. After I plugged everything up, it worked great and I'm very happy with the unit. I haven't had any flickering problems that you mentioned, that would clearly be distracting.

I do have one issue, but it's with my iPhone and iTouch. When I play the exact same movie from either device, the phone plays in full screen and the Touch plays in wide screen, weird! Something in these two items causes this and I can't find any settings that will let me change it up.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

So. Whats the best option close to OEM to play videos from a usb stick?
ACM or. Dension500 or xcarlink?
Thx
Old 11-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I do have one issue, but it's with my iPhone and iTouch. When I play the exact same movie from either device, the phone plays in full screen and the Touch plays in wide screen, weird! Something in these two items causes this and I can't find any settings that will let me change it up.
Is your iDevice jailbroken? There is an app in cydia called TVOut2 where you can set the dimensions and centering of the video-out signal. Once you do that, it saves the coordinates and every time you connect, you will get a perfect picture.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
Is your iDevice jailbroken? There is an app in cydia called TVOut2 where you can set the dimensions and centering of the video-out signal. Once you do that, it saves the coordinates and every time you connect, you will get a perfect picture.
good idea I'll have a look to see what apps might help. It's not jail broken so hopefully itunes store has something. I just thought it was strange that my iphone plays it regular and the touch plays it in wide screen.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

Quick question to the OP.
Does the kit come with an AUX cable for the sound or do you have to buy it separetely?
Just bought this and want to make sure I have everything ready when it arrives.
If it does then what type is it 3.5mm to 3.5mm or RCA to RCA or 3.5mm to RCA?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

No aux cable, only the RCA inputs for direct connection and then there are some wires that I believe are for non aux connection/fm modulator.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:15 AM
New Members

Sorry this is my 1st post on here and is already a question lol
Basically I have been toying with getting the xcarlink for a while but was put off by horror stories on other forums. I have a 2004 (54) car with Pro Nav so will my car have the aux input for audio?
Old 12-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

If you don't see AUX on the AM/FM/CD source list in iDrive then no.

Quick Reply: iDrive Video Multimedia