E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive Software Updates

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been about a year since I got an idrive software update from the dealer. Does anyone know if there has been any update(a feature, an improvement, etc) over the past year that is cause to get this done?

I came across the attached pdf that lists each update, but it doesn't seem like there is much to be gained from an update; although I can't decipher much of what's on the page.
Attached Files
Old 08-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

If your idrive is functioning normally as expected, then you don't need to upgrade it regularly. Unless you want to activate certain compatible features (IPod, MP3 playback, TCU, etc). There is always a risk of something else might get screwed up while or after installing the newer version, so dealers would try to avoid doing it without a valid reason. Just my $0.02.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Unless you are having trouble, no point. Most of the updates have been dealing with Trans slam and N54 wast gate duty cycles,HPFP failures, and Turbo failures...Some other minor things.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Members

This question came up because I updated my ipod touch software to os 4.0 and now my spec.dock (gateway 500) is not functioning properly. I updated to the latest firmware on the Dension which did not solve the issues. I'm not sure if it would do anything or not, but I was considering having the idrive software updated to see if that by chance would solve the problem. As I was considering that, I was curious if there were any other updates that would make it worthwhile. If not, I think I will just get an ipod classic because it's the same price that it would cost me to get an idrive software update and I know that it will work in the Dension.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by jherm
This question came up because I updated my ipod touch software to os 4.0 and now my spec.dock (gateway 500) is not functioning properly. I updated to the latest firmware on the Dension which did not solve the issues. I'm not sure if it would do anything or not, but I was considering having the idrive software updated to see if that by chance would solve the problem. As I was considering that, I was curious if there were any other updates that would make it worthwhile. If not, I think I will just get an ipod classic because it's the same price that it would cost me to get an idrive software update and I know that it will work in the Dension.
Or you can just downgrade the iPod Touch OS to the previous version. Search in youtude, there are some DIY videos for it.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by theXman
Or you can just downgrade the iPod Touch OS to the previous version. Search in youtude, there are some DIY videos for it.
Yep, that's what I did when 3.0 came out and I upgraded to that. I had similar issues so went back down to 2.whatever. I was hoping to be able to keep 4.0. Namely because the last several apps that I tried to get couldn't be downloaded without 4.0.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 535D
Model Year: 2006

Can anyone tell me how to find out which version of Idrive I have?
I'm going to guess it's stock 2006 as the sat nav was 2006-1 when I purchased the car!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Members

My Ride: Model: 5 Series Series: 520d M Sport Touring Body: Estate Colour: Carbon Black Engine: Turbo Diesel | 1995cc Gearbox: 6-Speed Manual Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Adam1v
I'm going to guess it's stock 2006 as the sat nav was 2006-1 when I purchased the car!

Yeah, I'd like to know the same; just buying a 2006 320D M-Sport Touring and would like to find out more about what generation idrive I have, so I can look into what's involved with upgrading, etc.
Attached Thumbnails iDrive Software Updates-1247958.jpg  
Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I publish that list you referenced and posted from the sticky. Since September 2005, BMW has ceased providing specific lists of fixes in a programming SIB. Instead I have to research each SIB released whether it be for brakes, engine, engine electronics (DME), auto transmission (EGS), audio, navigation, alarms, or seats (well you get the picture) to see if contains within the comments any reference to a specific CIP/VTS (vehicle target status) release fixing the specific issue addressed. If it does I include that SIB number and title in my list under fixes. As for features those are even less likely to be announced by BMW. It is up to forum members here and other boards that I frequent to make those known. I have to be careful in leaping to conlusion that there is a "NEW" feature as some individuals may not have updated for years, get an update and unknowingly announce to the world - wow a new feature - but in reality just the same old feature that everybody else got back a year or two earlier (or months as the case may be) when they upgraded to an previous version. Only if it is very obvious and I know that the individual knows where they were software wise and what they could do in the old version versus the new version they got can I trust and announce some "feature" change. In truth, it is the 3 series folks that do this better than the 5 and 6 series people for some reason. Since it can be reasonabaly safe to "assume" that general features (NAV or otherwise)) would be implemented in like configurations (CCC or CIC based vehicles) regardless of model I should probably look at updating "features" from my reviews of knowledgable 3 series board members. I'll put that on my "roundtuit" list
Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Adam1v
SAT NAV disk date and software do not go hand in hand. I could still use NAV disk date 2005 (1 or 2) and be on 2.34.1 (released July 09) as I am now.

So unless you bought new in 2006 and know you never upgraded then you could guesstimate your version based on my list and your build date. YOu could be on anything from 20.00.00 to 24.00.00 depending on build date. If you bought used then you may have no clue what the other owner did and when. Only the dealer can tell you if you have NAV. If non-NAV there is a way for the owner to determine but I never tried to learn it and would not know how accurate it is.