E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

idrive software crash

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d/full leather/prof. nav/prof. audio/logic 7/bluetooth/

During my holiday in France I had 4 times a software crash of the idrive

what happened is that the sreen went black, and then the system rebooted

the engine and everything else kept on working properly

but anyway it was very annoying as I was working my way through traffic with the satnav, and with the reboot I was suddenly completely lost (as I was not paying attention to roadsigns, while I was relying on the satnav)
it was not the end of the world but I hate such things; I want my car to work perfectly (as did al my former (no BMW) cars!)

anyone else had this problem ?

could it be due to the hot temperature ?? it was about 32?C outside and the car had been parked for some time in the sun

I never had this problem before

do I need a software upgrade ?

specs of the car:

520d
production year 2006
european model
Old 08-06-2008, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by avaneyck' post='640691' date='Aug 6 2008, 09:04 AM
During my holiday in France I had 4 times a software crash of the idrive

what happened is that the sreen went black, and then the system rebooted

the engine and everything else kept on working properly

but anyway it was very annoying as I was working my way through traffic with the satnav, and with the reboot I was suddenly completely lost (as I was not paying attention to roadsigns, while I was relying on the satnav)
it was not the end of the world but I hate such things; I want my car to work perfectly (as did al my former (no BMW) cars!)

anyone else had this problem ?

could it be due to the hot temperature ?? it was about 32?C outside and the car had been parked for some time in the sun

I never had this problem before

do I need a software upgrade ?

specs of the car:

520d
production year 2006
european model
Same thing happen to me as far as the screen going black.Dealer,JMK, did a software upgrade and everthing is fine. Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 08-06-2008, 05:13 AM
Members

Ive had the same thing happen to me. 530D 2006. It never leaves any trace in the memory either which is annoying as the dealer could then track the event down and try to cure.

Ive also experienced on many occasions the idrive screen being blank and the potentiometer having no resistance, it just spins.. the only way to cure this is to close the car down, get out for 30 mins and go back to it and try again.. I think the software re-sets itself during this time.

Roy
Old 08-06-2008, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by foxy_uk' post='640700' date='Aug 6 2008, 09:13 AM
Ive had the same thing happen to me. 530D 2006. It never leaves any trace in the memory either which is annoying as the dealer could then track the event down and try to cure.

Ive also experienced on many occasions the idrive screen being blank and the potentiometer having no resistance, it just spins.. the only way to cure this is to close the car down, get out for 30 mins and go back to it and try again.. I think the software re-sets itself during this time.

Roy
When I had the problem I did the same thing by shutting down the car for 30 minutes or so and the software did reset itself but it didn't cure the problem you had to get a software upgrade at the dealer to do so.
Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 08-06-2008, 06:57 AM
Members

My Ride: See signature

Is this problem related to a specific Progman version or does it happen to anyone?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

Originally Posted by avaneyck' post='640691' date='Aug 6 2008, 04:04 PM
I don't think so. The temperature here in Cyprus is usually around 40?C during summer and I haven't had something similar.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:30 AM
Members

Hello Kekkos,

good to see someone else from Cyprus here! Yes it is hot here and I am beginning to think that the heat is causing my problems with i-drive freezing and intermittent loss of audio sound / voice control etc. as this happens only when driving in the heat for an hour or so. Got some good feedback from the folks here and I am waitng for the dealer to check this out at the end of the month. Already had some opinions from mechanics ranging from faulty alternator to software upgrade and recently (which might make sense with the heat) that the M-ask fan is not working to cool down things causing the problem. Do you take your car to the local BMW dealer here?

Cheers.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

Gia su Peter,

I don't see how PROGMAN update can resolve this. Repairing M-ASK's fan is more sensible. As I mentioned yesterday I haven't experienced something similar and the car is parked in the sun for long periods everyday. I don't use the local BMW dealer.

Good luck resolving the issue.

P.S Remember to edit your location under your personal profile settings.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kekkos' post='641533' date='Aug 7 2008, 07:11 AM
Gia su Peter,

I don't see how PROGMAN update can resolve this.
If it doesn't how come my same problem never came back after the upgrade ?
cheers
vern
Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vern' post='641605' date='Aug 7 2008, 04:57 PM
If it doesn't how come my same problem never came back after the upgrade ?
cheers
vern
I hope this help the others as well. Full PROGMAN update takes a lot of time => expensive. On the other hand replacing a faulty fun is cheaper, and in this case more sensible in my opinion.