E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive Screen Symbols/Icons

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11/2007 E60 LCI 530d ///M Sport - Deep Sea Blue - M Double Sp 172 19" Mixed Wheels - Sports Automatic Transmission - Cream/Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Wood Bamboo - Full Visibility Package - Full Media Package - Heated Seats - Auto-Dim Int+Ext Folding Mirrors - M Rear Spoiler - Sun Protection Glazing - Voice Control

Hi,

I cannot find in any manual what all the icons/symbols mean along the lower part of the idrive screen. Naturally some are obvious and some are not such as a 'T' which keeps appearing. Does anyone know what they all are?

I specifically refer to when my iPhone is connected (always via bluetooth incidentally). I had a 3G up until recently which when connected displayed a little mobile phone symbol and right next to it the signal strength bars, but this was not always the case as when I first got it, the only symbol on the idrive screen was just the signal bars. It was some time before the phone symbol also appeared. Now, recently I changed to an iPhone 4 and again initially I only got the signal bars and after a few weeks the phone symbol appeared. My SIM card went faulty last week and had to be replaced and so far now I only get the signal bars again and not the phone symbol !!

Can anyone shed light on the mystery of why the phone symbol is only there sometimes ??

I have attached a snapshot so that you are clear what I am whittering on about :-)
Attached Thumbnails iDrive Screen Symbols/Icons-img_0471.jpg  
Old 08-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

mine has never appeared, i got the roaming symbol while on holiday though, I have an iphone 3gs.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Members

My phone icon started doing this a couple months ago. Not that frequently, but every now and then it doesn't show up. I've noticed that sometimes if I click a button on my phone it will reappear or the bars change.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xi

i have a 3gs and the phone symbol and bars have always shown in my idrive when the phone is connected.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Senior Members

The mobilephone next to signalbar indicates you have a missed call.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by E60Sim
The mobilephone next to signalbar indicates you have a missed call.
ooooooook that would explain it lol
Old 08-13-2010, 04:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 11/2007 E60 LCI 530d ///M Sport - Deep Sea Blue - M Double Sp 172 19" Mixed Wheels - Sports Automatic Transmission - Cream/Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Wood Bamboo - Full Visibility Package - Full Media Package - Heated Seats - Auto-Dim Int+Ext Folding Mirrors - M Rear Spoiler - Sun Protection Glazing - Voice Control

LOL, ok I'll ring my car now from the office to see if that is true.......... back shortly !!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Melv
LOL, ok I'll ring my car now from the office to see if that is true.......... back shortly !!
hey i know this isn't exactly the point of this post, but i have 2 questions:

1. it looks like your nav is a bit more 3-D than my 2007 530i. like you are looking across a horizon, whereas my view is straight down like on a regular map. how did you get it to look like that? i have the latest 2010 nav dvd.

2. is there anyway to use your iphone 3gs in bluetooth and simultaneously listen to it via your AUX input? the dealer told me that was impossible.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tuffluck
1. it looks like your nav is a bit more 3-D than my 2007 530i. like you are looking across a horizon, whereas my view is straight down like on a regular map. how did you get it to look like that? i have the latest 2010 nav dvd.
That's the "perspective" view. It doesn't matter which nav DVD you have, that's a software feature. I don't know what version of software you need, but I got the perspective enabled when I upgraded to the version below in my sig. Previously the perspective option in the menu had always been greyed-out. After the SW upgrade it became selectable.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Members

E60SIM you are absoultely right !! Now that I have called the car with my iphone connected it does indeed bring up the other little symbol of a mobile phone. There in solving one little mystery, however interestingly now that it is there, it does not go away even after the phone has been cleared of missed calls which explains why it took a while to appear but then stayed there. Bizzare !!

Do you know what any of the other symbols mean along the bottom edge of the screen??

Quick Reply: iDrive Screen Symbols/Icons