E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iDrive says to change brake fluid...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

hello everyone.
i got a notification from my i drive that the car is in need of a brake fluid change.
im assuming the fluid is just low. i have yet to take apart all that plastic crap and get in the reservoir and check it out. could this be the cause? i cant manually reset the service date so it brings me here..
i also have noticed the power steering is in need of some atf. this shouldnt have any effect.. .correct?

thanks for your time!
-Bill
Old 09-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, 6 speed auto with Steptronic, premium, sport and M-packages, silver gray metallic, Dakota black leather with Anthracite maple trim, 19" 125 series rims

Originally Posted by Bill109
hello everyone.
i got a notification from my i drive that the car is in need of a brake fluid change.
im assuming the fluid is just low. i have yet to take apart all that plastic crap and get in the reservoir and check it out. could this be the cause? i cant manually reset the service date so it brings me here..
i also have noticed the power steering is in need of some atf. this shouldnt have any effect.. .correct?

thanks for your time!
-Bill
I believe it to be a general maintenance thing. The same reminder came up on my i-drive a few months ago around 130,000 kms. I did the brake flush myself but if you're not mechanically inclined and very particular when bleeding the air from the lines you're better off having a BMW mechanic do it. That being said, while I was flushing the lines I did have some air come out of the driver's side front caliper. The last brake fluid flush was done by my BMW service department. I was not impressed to say the least but now my brake peddle feel is more solid than ever.

There is also a procedure for resetting the service interval but I would recommend obeying the notification for the long term sake of your braking components and having the flush completed without just a reset.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:13 AM
Members

My Ride: See signature

Don't know if it is true for all models and years, but on my '05 545i it is not mileage based but to be done every two years.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

For all the years (40) that I have owned BMW's, The BMW policy has always been to change the brake fluid every two years. The reason for it is that brake fluid is ascorbic and collects moisture over time. The risk is that with moisture in the system braking becomes spongy. If the brake system is hot it can become really dangerous. The 545 / 550 series is capable of 150 MPH plus.

It usually costs about $100.00 at the dealer site.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

interesting.
so let me ask this, once the flush and change is done will the i drive message go away or will i need to manually reset it?

could this have anything to do with the fact i have recently put 19" wheels on the car from the stock 17?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bill109
interesting.
so let me ask this, once the flush and change is done will the i drive message go away or will i need to manually reset it?

could this have anything to do with the fact i have recently put 19" wheels on the car from the stock 17?
No special tools are required. A dealer or competent indy will reset it if they do the job. If you do it, you can manually reset it as well. There's a procedure to reset any of the condition based monitoring alerts that pop up on the i-drive. Most of the alerts are mileage based, some are time/date based. It doesn't have anything to do with the parts you put on.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

As noted above, brake fluid is two year time-based. It is completely separate from power steering fluid and tires have no bearing on the issue either.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:06 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
As noted above, brake fluid is two year time-based. It is completely separate from power steering fluid and tires have no bearing on the issue either.

In the case of my '07 at least, along with the cabin filter change, it is part of the 90,000 mile service.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

what fluid did you use?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:25 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by phlfly
what fluid did you use?
I changed the brake fluid (and clutch fluid) in my 2006 530xi and used ATE SL.6:
http://www.ate.de/generator/www/com/...indow.jsp.html

Quick Reply: iDrive says to change brake fluid...