E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive Retrofits

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 11:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: UK 2005 530d E61

Firstly as a newbie I have to say this is a great forum. It's helped me a lot during my E61 aquisition and since.

I have two questions about adding functionality to iDrive. Firstly I gather it is possible to add extended voice control to the iDrive system. I've read a couple of posts on this but I have a few questions: (1) Is this possible with Sat Nav Pro (2) is there any difference according to car build date and (3) does the split centre button have to be fitted, or can I just go with a software update and the existing button on the steering wheel? I'd be interested in hearing from anybody who's done this thorough a UK dealer. My dealer says it is possible but it is costly.

Secondly, I'm after adding the aux-in audio for the kids' DVD player. My dealer says this is probably not possible with SatNavPro and 6-CD fitted. Is that so?

Any help much appreciated (and sorry if I didn't catch all previous info on these topics in my browsing!)
Old 10-31-2005, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

Hi sumu, I've done both on my April '04 build.

(1) Voice is fine if you have SatNav Pro
(2) Not sure, might have to be post March '04
(3) I suppose it doesn't *have* to be fitted, but it comes as part of the kit. The steering wheel button is enabled too.
As to cost, it's around ?170 inc VAT. Not what I'd call expensive (for BMW!)

No problem with the Aux-In with ProNav and 6CD changer either. Same set-up as me. The standard location for it is in the glove box, so if it's for the kids DVD, you might want to see if the dealer can locate it elsewhere (or run a cable under the passenger seat). Cost for this was about ?140, again reasonable, imo.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:45 PM
Members

My Ride: UK 2005 530d E61

Hi browellm,

Thanks for the info. Yes that cost sounds very reasonable compared to the ?700 inc VAT I was quoted today for adding voice to my Mar '05 build E61 (with media pack)! The dealer told me that most of the cost was parts - a BMW pack to add the function. Seems like I will have to ask some more questions.

With the aux-in in the glove box can you get a cable in from the interior of the car, or does the connected kit have to be in the glove box too?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sumu' date='Oct 31 2005, 09:45 PM
Hi browellm,

Thanks for the info. Yes that cost sounds very reasonable compared to the ?700 inc VAT I was quoted today for adding voice to my Mar '05 build E61 (with media pack)! The dealer told me that most of the cost was parts - a BMW pack to add the function. Seems like I will have to ask some more questions.

With the aux-in in the glove box can you get a cable in from the interior of the car, or does the connected kit have to be in the glove box too?
[snapback]191501[/snapback]
?700, you've got to laugh, some of these dealers take the piss. The part costs about ?80 then about an hour's labour. I've got the invoice knocking around somewhere. Who's your dealer - ask them to call Sytner Nottingham for a realistic price.
Unless something very drastic has happened to the innards of the E60/E61 in the last 12 months.

As for the cable, no problem, I've got a crappy one from Maplin and the ipod sits on the front passenger seat - so you could easily get one to run under the front seat (maplin do a 3m one). Aesthetically, it's not the best but your comedy dealer might try and charge you ??? for an alternative location.