E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive refuses to boot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by jkava' post='502570' date='Dec 4 2007, 07:18 PM
Latest update... the saga continues. My dealer updated the Progman to the latest version 27.02 (I think). Anyway, all was good for a couple weeks and now the same issue is occurring randomly again. I will call for another service appointment and request that a PUMA case be opened. There must be a permanent fix for this known issue...
As Coppello states elsewhere here a CCC replacement is the solution, certainly for my experience it is.

There must many a PUMA case on BMW's books for this problem - one was created for my e60 back in May07 - it took five tries by the dealer to convince BMW that the CCC required replacing to secure a solution - BMW had insisted that the dealer re-program again and again, even BMW GmbH went through a step by step re-program with the dealer (on-line) twice before they admitted defeat and approved replacement of the CCC again.

Note from my experience of this iDrive problem: the first replacement CCC used by the dealer was an 'older' version that the dealer?s engineer suspected of being repaired previously and had been re-circulated within the parts chain. (I have a very good relationship with my dealer and I was shown the first CCC unit which appeared to have wear marks where you?d believed if it was new it would not) My dealer?s engineer opined from experience that these units were more susceptible to instability issues post being re-programmed.

The telephone(s) in use as mentioned by moema535d being a factor is interesting ? BMW I know (dealer told me) are collecting telephone model and telephone software version data from telephones that are paired in e60?s that exhibit this problem, I was asked by BMW to supply (via dealer) information post the CCC replacement on both the telephones I use ? the only point I can raise here is the iDrive was fine with both telephones prior ? also, I had added and removed several different telephone pairings with no problem in the past ? the problem surfaced post a reprogram to cure other issues, this just happened to be V25 at that time.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

My CCC just stopped working today When I start the car, the CCC does not show any.. just blank.... I tried several times. I checked the fuses... all is fine... Any other option to fix? low Battery?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530D Touring MSport Navi professional, HUD, bicolour leather sport seats, BT integrated, automatic transmission, panorama roof.
Model Year: 2006

I have the exact same problem. The idrive sometimes doesn't boot up. This is happening one out of ten-fifteen times I start up the car. It is really annoying. There is no music no screen no nothing. I have never tried to reboot though but I will try first thing getting out in my car again. I am also reluctant to update the software because I have the version wit the two dials around the speedo and the revcounter. They indicate cruise control and engine operational temperature. I have heard that they actually stops working when you update the idrive to a certain version.

This is most certainly a software problem but I wish it was some hardware related that was causing it. Would have been great to just change a small box or bring out my soldering iron :-)
Old 11-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport Touring

Do you get any other messages on the dash like "High battery discharge"? If your battery is running low on juice the car shuts down the non-essentials to start the engine. I had the same issues last winter and a new battery stopped it. My CCC unit failed about a month ago but that is another story.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:37 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530D Touring MSport Navi professional, HUD, bicolour leather sport seats, BT integrated, automatic transmission, panorama roof.
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by fiona
Do you get any other messages on the dash like "High battery discharge"? If your battery is running low on juice the car shuts down the non-essentials to start the engine. I had the same issues last winter and a new battery stopped it. My CCC unit failed about a month ago but that is another story.
Yes, ive got a weak battery, and it has happened sometimes that the time and date has been reset to zero, but it has never been together with this idrive boot problem.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i - Sport package, Cold Weather package, Nav, Xenon lights, 6 speed manual Mods coming soon...Still need to figure it out.

I have had this same problem with my car since it was purchased a year ago. It has only happened a few times and after the car sits for 10 or 15 minutes it goes away. I have never tried to reboot it but if it happens again I will. I am hesitant to bring it in to the dealer and get the run around. Let me know how you make out.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I had this same problem and it progressively got worse. End result? I have a new CCC and TCU to hopefully fix everything.

Oh, and Rudy, the iDrive reset does work with just one eject button............if you don't have NAV, if you have NAV you need to hit both buttons