E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive ProNav Assistance Window

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 06:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545i MY05 week 6 Mystic Blue / Black Dakota Steptronic, Sport Package, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive, ProNav, HUD

Hi Guys,

I wonder if any of you more experienced guys can help me out...

I have the Nav on my Canadian MY05 545i, which means that the iDrive screen is a bit wider than the non-nav one (I think).

On my car, the "Assistance Window" is always present (a window taking up 1/3 of the screen on the right). If I "turn it off", it just goes black, but does not go away. Is this normal? The car is new, and I could swear that at one point the nav map took up the entire width of the screen??? Am I just imagining things? Is there any point (other than the top menu screen) when the whole screen is used?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

--
Dave
Old 04-04-2005, 06:21 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by ynnepd' date='Apr 4 2005, 07:16 AM
Hi Guys,

I have the Nav on my Canadian MY05 545i, which means that the iDrive screen is a bit wider than the non-nav one (I think).

On my car, the "Assistance Window" is always present (a window taking up 1/3 of the screen on the right). If I "turn it off", it just goes black, but does not go away. Is this normal? The car is new, and I could swear that at one point the nav map took up the entire width of the screen??? Am I just imagining things? Is there any point (other than the top menu screen) when the whole screen is used?

--
Dave
[snapback]110884[/snapback]
yes, its normal
Old 04-04-2005, 06:22 AM
Contributors

You're imagining. If you look very closely, it's actually two seperate screens. It will never go away! Would be nice though.

Welcome to the site!
Old 04-04-2005, 06:29 AM
Contributors

Not really 2 screens but the default start screen is the only one that takes up the whole display. So maybe the great CIP version coming in September will have some more options since it is taking so long.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Members

ynnepd,

Since you've got your Can spec 545i recently (just like me), could you tell me what type of documentation did you receive with the car?

Do you have Bluetooth enabled in your I-Drive? Did you receive a phone and cradle with your car?

The problem is that I am in Belgium temporarily and the Belgian dealer is not sure what I should receive as a Canadian.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ynnepd' date='Apr 4 2005, 07:16 AM
Hi Guys,

--
Dave
[snapback]110884[/snapback]
I had actually wondered the same thing, I could have *sworn* that the nav window took up the entire display when the car was new but once I used the assist window I could never get nav on the whole display, just the leftmost 2/3 rds. May just have been my imagination as well.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Welcome aboard!
Old 04-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 545i MY05 week 6 Mystic Blue / Black Dakota Steptronic, Sport Package, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive, ProNav, HUD

Originally Posted by Canadian' date='Apr 4 2005, 02:09 PM
ynnepd,

Since you've got your Can spec 545i recently (just like me), could you tell me what type of documentation did you receive with the car?

Do you have Bluetooth enabled in your I-Drive?? Did you receive a phone and cradle with your car?

The problem is that I am in Belgium temporarily and the Belgian dealer is not sure what I should receive as a Canadian.
[snapback]111007[/snapback]
Bluetooth was not available on the menu it should be on, however the dealer says I should just come in and they will set it up for me (at no charge). I'll let you know how it goes. This should have been done as part of the prep, but it looks like they don't do it routinely unless you ask (and I failed to).

I did not ask for or receive a cradle for a phone, as I was planning to bluetooth to my Treo650.

The center armrest comes with a generic fold up tray that nicely holds a phone, but I'm not quite sure how/where I'm going to power the Treo in a neat fashion. I might have to eschew the tray and mount a bracket on the dash and power it from the 12V in the passenger footwell.

How have others done this?
Old 04-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Canadian' date='Apr 4 2005, 02:09 PM
[snapback]111007[/snapback]
Just the owner's manual that you can download from this site, and the usual "service book" that they never bother to fill in anyways!

Is that what you meant by documentation?
Old 04-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' date='Apr 4 2005, 02:29 PM
I had actually wondered the same thing, I could have *sworn* that the nav window took up the entire display when the car was new but once I used the assist window I could never get nav on the whole display, just the leftmost 2/3 rds.? May just have been my imagination as well.
[snapback]111016[/snapback]
I'm with you on this one. I think the nav screen was full width. On some other screens there was a blank assist window. When I finally figured out how to put something in the assist window, the assist window was always there on the nav as well.

The assist window is useful for the "Arrows" when navigating, but I have HUD for that. Maybe it's just HUD people?

Pure speculation now, being a software guy, I'll bet the "close assist window" did at one point close the assist window, and then they realized there was no menu item to get it back! Easy fix: blank it, don't close it, then ship the software!

Quick Reply: iDrive ProNav Assistance Window