E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive processor speed upgrade on E60...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took a very close look at the new 3 series today at one of the dealerships near me and was shocked to see that the iDrive on the one that I sat in was extremely fast and responsive. It was like they had designed the hardware and software to match speeds and run at a normal rate.

It actually preformed the function that you selected just after selecting it!!!!!!! It was just like the e60s should be doing, but they run very slowly, often to the point of not knowing if it 'took' the command that I entered, until time passes waiting to verify it.

Has anyone learned if it might be possible to upgrade the processor chip that runs the iDrive computer?

It would be worth an overhaul if it is possible.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Jul 30 2005, 08:05 PM
I took a very close look at the new 3 series today at one of the dealerships near me and was shocked to see that the iDrive on the one that I sat in was extremely fast and responsive. It was like they had designed the hardware and software to match speeds and run at a normal rate.

It actually preformed the function that you selected just after selecting it!!!!!!! It was just like the e60s should be doing, but they run very slowly, often to the point of not knowing if it 'took' the command that I entered, until time passes waiting to verify it.

Has anyone learned if it might be possible to upgrade the processor chip that runs the iDrive computer?

[snapback]154719[/snapback]

The E90 automatically has NAV with iDrive right? I would be frustrated too if mine was as sluggish as you guys with NAV have described yours to be. My non-NAV is really fast, like what you're saying the 3-series is like.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Senior Members

Yes, it did have NAV and must be provided specifically for NAV. I'm not sure you can order the iDrive without NAV, but maybe?

But in spite of NAV, it was really fast, as it should be.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Members

Well maybe the I Drive in the 3 series will be like the one in the 06 5 series i read that they said that they were upgrading the I Drive in the 06 5 series.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Sif
Members

I have recently purchased an E61 and have had the car back three times for software upgrades. The problem I still have is when navigating through menus by pushing the idrive forwards or backwards you sometimes hit it four or five times before it moves up or down the menu. Is this normal...it seems that you are describing something similiar.....

any feedback would be apreciated

regards

Sif
Old 10-21-2005, 05:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Steptronic, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Sport Pkg, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Logic 7, Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Anthracite Trim, IPOD Integration Produced Sept 5, 2005 CIP 24

I have a 2006 (Real September 5 Production) 530i and the I-drive is only slow at start-up. Once the car is started, the i-drive initializes and I press accept, the sytem is responsive. If I click on the knob the change of screen is almost instantaneous. The only time it takes about two - three seconds to respond is when I am at the menu screen and just tap the knob in one of the four directions. I do have nav, too.

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Jul 31 2005, 04:05 AM

[snapback]154719[/snapback]
Old 10-21-2005, 06:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JARRETT' date='Jul 30 2005, 11:08 PM
Well maybe the I Drive in the 3 series will be like the one in the 06 5 series i read that they said that they were upgrading the I Drive in the 06 5 series.
[snapback]154739[/snapback]

I picked up my 2006 550 (Sep 1 build date) last weekend and I don't think the I-Drive has changed any.

Initialization is OK, but it certainly is not intstantly on. Yes, controller commands to move around still take a moment to register on the screen. By far the slowest funciton is calculating a new route in navigation - the few examples I ran took at least 10 seconds. The computer in my old 740 was 10 times faster. :thumbsdown:

Also, RDS is missing in the radio functions. :thumbsdown:

BMW needs to work on this for the E60 because we know it can be much better (like the E90).
Old 10-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' date='Oct 21 2005, 10:41 PM
I picked up my 2006 550 (Sep 1 build date) last weekend
[snapback]186978[/snapback]
Wow!!! Congrats on your 550 . One hell of a car you got there!!

Anyway, just to clarify what someone wrote earlier on, we in Singapore did not have NAV in our E60 until the upgraded 6 in-line engines came. And yes, we do have I-Drive even w/out NAV.