E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iDrive Pixels

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i, Orient Blue, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Package, Satellite Radio, Rear Reflectors, Chrome Grilles. 2007 Z4, Silver Grey Metalic, Premium Package, Sport Package, Heated Seats, Xenon, Premium Radio

I noticed one bad pixel in my Idrive screen. Not a bid deal. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and whether your dealer replaced the screen under warranty. Not sure it's worth the possibility of dashboard rattles to fix one small pixel. Is the screen easy to switch out? Thanks for your comments.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Senior Members

Yes, I had that exact same problem and the screen was swapped out easily. It was a big red pixel. Not something that the supplier should have given to BMW in the first place.

BTW, welcome aboard e60.net!
Old 09-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedSoxFan' date='Sep 7 2005, 07:35 PM
I noticed one bad pixel in my Idrive screen.? Not a bid deal.? I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and whether your dealer replaced the screen under warranty.? Not sure it's worth the possibility of dashboard rattles to fix one small pixel.? Is the screen easy to switch out?? Thanks for your comments.
[snapback]168117[/snapback]
Welcome to forum!
You'd better have dealer change the screen for you.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Orient Blue, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Package, Satellite Radio, Rear Reflectors, Chrome Grilles. 2007 Z4, Silver Grey Metalic, Premium Package, Sport Package, Heated Seats, Xenon, Premium Radio

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Sep 7 2005, 11:06 PM
Yes, I had that exact same problem and the screen was swapped out easily. It was a big red pixel. Not something that the supplier should have given to BMW in the first place.

[snapback]168136[/snapback]
Thanks for your advice. Mine is a small red one but it still annoys me. I also worry that more will appear. I plan to have the dealer replace the screen.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by RedSoxFan' date='Sep 8 2005, 02:15 PM
[quote name='gdavis' date='Sep 7 2005, 11:06 PM']Yes, I had that exact same problem and the screen was swapped out easily. It was a big red pixel. Not something that the supplier should have given to BMW in the first place.

Thanks for your advice. Mine is a small red one but it still annoys me. I also worry that more will appear. I plan to have the dealer replace the screen.
[snapback]168246[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't know if they will accept so easily to do it for just a pixel. On the IBM laptop computers, they must count at least a couple of dozen of defectuous pixels before considering replacing the screen. If we consider the same rule and applying a 1/4 ratio to take into account the size, I imagine they will require to see at least 6 wrong pixels in order to consider replacing the screen. Now, LCD is not plasma, there is normally no chance that this first bad pixel "contaminates" other pixels...

I understand it is good to ask at least but if I were you, I would not consider this replacing as obvious. I simply hope I was wrong and that you will have a nice surprise .
Old 09-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

I had the screen on my E60 replaced for one dead pixel, as did my other half on her 1 series...
Old 09-08-2005, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

IBM laptop = $3000 BWM 5 series = 46k-70k

We didn't buy a laptop we bought a BMW. They'd better replace the screen!

Originally Posted by fred1976' date='Sep 8 2005, 11:17 AM
I don't know if they will accept so easily to do it for just a pixel. On the IBM laptop computers, they must count at least a couple of dozen of defectuous pixels before considering replacing the screen. If we consider the same rule and applying a 1/4 ratio to take into account the size, I imagine they will require to see at least 6 wrong pixels in order to consider replacing the screen. Now, LCD is not plasma, there is normally no chance that this first bad pixel "contaminates" other pixels...

I understand it is good to ask at least but if I were you, I would not consider this replacing as obvious. I simply hope I was wrong and that you will have a nice surprise? .
[snapback]168269[/snapback]
Old 09-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by fred1976' date='Sep 8 2005, 11:17 AM
[quote name='RedSoxFan' date='Sep 8 2005, 02:15 PM'][quote name='gdavis' date='Sep 7 2005, 11:06 PM']Yes, I had that exact same problem and the screen was swapped out easily. It was a big red pixel. Not something that the supplier should have given to BMW in the first place.

[snapback]168246[/snapback]
[/quote]

I understand it is good to ask at least but if I were you, I would not consider this replacing as obvious. I simply hope I was wrong and that you will have a nice surprise .
[snapback]168269[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll let you know. A computer screen is a few hundred dollars... this baby was $50 grand. I bet they will swap it out and send it back for credit with the supplier... at least I am hoping.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Members

Update: My dealer ordered a new IDrive screen (arrived today) after a mechanic confirmed that I had a bad pixel. No questions asked. It will be installed next Monday. (Install & reprogram). Thanks for all your comments. I am glad I didn't decide to live with it.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Contributors

I have the same problem too. But only one small one.

Quick Reply: iDrive Pixels