E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Idrive/PDC control halted this morning and works fine in the afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I drive my 2005 545i this morning, the Idrive monitor seems to be stuck such that it did not respond to the "mouse" control at all. Even PDC was not activiated in Reverse. And the date and time appeared to be like "/// //" and Voice command didn't beep after I push it. After a short drive to my work I turned off the engine and turn it on again. Nothing changed.
So I thought that I would stop by dealership this afternoon. But when I drive it again this afternoon every fucntion became normal. IDrive works fine and PDC works okay. Since I can't reproduce it in dealership now I don't know what's wrong with it.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thank you.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by bmgg' post='684792' date='Oct 3 2008, 06:15 PM
When I drive my 2005 545i this morning, the Idrive monitor seems to be stuck such that it did not respond to the "mouse" control at all. Even PDC was not activiated in Reverse. And the date and time appeared to be like "/// //" and Voice command didn't beep after I push it. After a short drive to my work I turned off the engine and turn it on again. Nothing changed.
So I thought that I would stop by dealership this afternoon. But when I drive it again this afternoon every fucntion became normal. IDrive works fine and PDC works okay. Since I can't reproduce it in dealership now I don't know what's wrong with it.

Thank you.
Not quite the same problems as yours, but in my two Idrive related issues with mine, the problems have gone away after the car was off and locked for a few hours. It was explained to me that after 20 minutes with the engine off and the car locked, the car performs a software reset and any software related glitches will disappear. Furthermore, my SA just advised me to get used to this because I will be seeing plenty of this because of the complexity of the E60. A little sombering, but I guess I can learn to live with it.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:29 PM
MrG
Members

My Ride: Sept '03 530d SE: Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic Auto, Bluetooth Telephone Prep, 6-Disc Changer, Business Navigation, Sports Suspension, Active Steering, Star Spoke 123 8Jx18" + Run Flat Tyres.

Originally Posted by bmgg' post='684792' date='Oct 3 2008, 11:15 PM

Thank you.
I've not had a problem like that, but if the car is still under warranty I'd be tempted to take it in anyway and ask them to see if there are any stored errors.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by MrG' post='684829' date='Oct 3 2008, 07:29 PM
I've not had a problem like that, but if the car is still under warranty I'd be tempted to take it in anyway and ask them to see if there are any stored errors.
iDrive does have "boot" issues that may cause system hang ups on starting cold. It takes 20minutes between car lock and alarm activation to reset the s/w. If the problem persists, take it into your dealer to check the CCC. A reprogram may help but ultimately, it may be hardware that needs to be changed out. Traditionally, iDrive errors are not stored as ONB or flash EPROM codes....so there's no way to dig this out unless the problem recurs and you can show it to your dealer...

Keep a digital camera handy the next time it happens so you can get a few pix for your SA...
Old 10-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Members

My Ride: See signature

I had a problem where the steering wheel would not lower back to my preferred position, neither the driver's nor passenger front seat could be adjusted and the rear screen would not operate. The next morning everything worked fins and has done so since. Like the OP tried, turning the car off then back on, stopping for 15-20 minutes at a McDonald's didn't change anything. Like others have said, I think there is a software reset that takes place or these cars are so good they are self-healing at times!