E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive not recognizing Ipod playlists

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm..my dealer just gave me a USB extender cable?? when i use the standard ipod-usb cable, I get music but get wierd 4-character in my titles list "aabc, aebd..." etc etc.... Haven't gotten around to finding out what I'm doing wrong yet...
Old 12-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i

Originally Posted by Leburpor' post='510586' date='Dec 25 2007, 08:39 PM
hmm..my dealer just gave me a USB extender cable?? when i use the standard ipod-usb cable, I get music but get wierd 4-character in my titles list "aabc, aebd..." etc etc.... Haven't gotten around to finding out what I'm doing wrong yet...

This is the exact problem I first had. You can work around this and find the sounds by not going into "Directory" yet choosing the options next to it and you can choose "artist" or "song". The tracks now kind of display the correct names but the ipod freezes sometimes and playlists don't work. Best thing is to use the y connector according to everyone.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Leburpor' post='510586' date='Dec 25 2007, 11:39 PM
You need the iPod cable. See posts above discussing this.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535xi

I stopped using the iPod cable that came with the car. The sound quality going through the aux port isn't that great. I copied all my music over to the iPod in disk mode and use a standard iPod cable into the usb port. The sound difference is like night and day
Old 12-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by flipside' post='510681' date='Dec 26 2007, 07:53 AM
I stopped using the iPod cable that came with the car. The sound quality going through the aux port isn't that great. I copied all my music over to the iPod in disk mode and use a standard iPod cable into the usb port. The sound difference is like night and day
Are your playlists recognized? If so, how? I am having trouble with the playlists. I create them in iTunes and the BMW says that no playlists are recognized, while everything else, artists, song etc., come up.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='510584' date='Dec 25 2007, 08:34 PM
Let us know what they say.
I spoke to my salesperson today and he said it wouldn't be a problem. So I'm going to go pick up the cable from the dealer. I'll post on the sound quality once I try it out. Hopefully I won't have the same problem others are having.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by BemveE60' post='510583' date='Dec 25 2007, 08:33 PM
Well I'll call up the dealer tomorrow and hopefully they'll be cool about it. If they want too much for the cable maybe I can get the extra one from you for a better deal. Thanks for all the help guys.
If you are the 1st time purchaser then it's included in the I-Pod option package...my dealer handed it to me when I picked up the car. Although, I bet you could find a better deal on that same cable from an electronics store. After all, it's just a "Y" cable with USB & mini plugs one one end and an I-Pod plug on the other

Anyone know the answer as an extra cable probably wouldn't be a bad idea?
Old 12-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by flipside' post='510681' date='Dec 26 2007, 07:53 AM

Interesting comment...I was thinking that the Logic 7 system in general is pretty weak, but I'll check that out and compare a normal CD to my I-Pod (sound quality). Question, does the I-Pod charge (I think so) when it's plugged into the car (with the '08 I-Pod interface option) and the engine is running?
Old 12-27-2007, 04:07 AM
Members

I just had an ipod adapter installed in my 07 525, and it works fine. All I see in the glove compartment is an ipod cord. Playlists come under "cd 1". Artists under "cd 2" etc. I think it is limited to 500 though. I went under artists and tried to scroll to The Verve Pipe and I could only get to "p". Any one else notice this?
Old 12-27-2007, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='510952' date='Dec 27 2007, 07:11 AM
If you are the 1st time purchaser then it's included in the I-Pod option package...my dealer handed it to me when I picked up the car. Although, I bet you could find a better deal on that same cable from an electronics store. After all, it's just a "Y" cable with USB & mini plugs one one end and an I-Pod plug on the other

Anyone know the answer as an extra cable probably wouldn't be a bad idea?
If the cable isn't anything special, why not try an audio patch cable (male mini plugs on both ends) and the USB cable that comes with the iPod? There's really no need for the "Y" part, two individual cables should be the same thing. Again, this is assuming that there's no additional circuitry embedded into the BMW cable. (They may have done something to regulate the volume output from the iPod to control any distortion, etc. coming into the car.)

Quick Reply: iDrive not recognizing Ipod playlists