E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive Improvements

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 12:20 PM
richard

Rather than complain about the iDrive concept, why not discuss ways to improve it; if BMW was unable to design an elegant and intuitive software package on their first try, perhaps they will incorporate our comments/suggestions into future software patches.

Suggestion 1: At start up, the iDrive screen should revert to the screen setting that existed when the ignition was last turned off.

Suggestion 2: Allow the owner of the vehicle to accept the legal-liability warning at start up once and for all. E.g. "I the owner of this vehicle accept....etc."
Old 01-22-2004, 01:20 PM
adm

What Legal Warning ????

We don't have that in the UK - it just starts up straight to the main menu.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:33 PM
richard

In the States there is a disclaimer-warning (that caution must be exercised by the user of idrive) that appears on the idrive screen at each startup. It must be "accepted" by pressing the controller before you can access the system. Must be a DOT (Department of Transportation) requirement here. British government must have greater faith/trust in its citizens than ours to exercise good judgment and common sense.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you only get that in the US
Old 01-22-2004, 03:35 PM
Members

Both are good ideas. I wondered if the rest of the world had the stupid disclaimer. Guess only us Americans have stooped so low as to sue anyone and everyone for money, even when it is our own fault (winning millions for spilling hot coffee and not knowing it was hot)
Old 01-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

When you test drove the car, do you remember having to hit this acceptance note. I have test driven about three or four, and I don't remember me or the salesman turning it off. I am asking because I am wondering if it is something that they program into the car before delivery.

Has anyone tried to get this removed at the dealer? They are probably not allowed to remove it. Just thinking out loud.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Members

No such legal warning on the idrive screen at startup.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:45 PM
Members

No such warning in UK either

Does anyone know how to turn off the seatbelt warning system?
Old 01-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Members

They could add a "next CD" option to the user config buttons.

I found that if I want to change CD and I go into entertainment it takes me to track listing first. This is fine if you have single CD but with the changer it should take you straight to the CD bar along the top.

To be honest they could replicate any fucntion the car does onto the user buttons, I preferred the cruise control on my 328ci on the steering wheel as I could disengage and recall speed without moving my left arm off the rest (yeah I'm real lazy )
Old 01-23-2004, 03:57 AM
Alan

Originally Posted by BMW525UK' date='Jan 23 2004, 01:45 AM
Does anyone know how to turn off the seatbelt warning system?
Using the seatbelt is probably the best and safest option!!

Earlier this week, the passenger seatbelt warning system came on, despite having no passenger and I could only stop it by plugging in the passenger seatbelt.

Quick Reply: iDrive Improvements