E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

As the iDrive gets upgraded versions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 06:31 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Picked up a 545 last week replacing my 6-month old 525 / My 525 had not been to the dealer since I drove it off the lot...so it had whatever version of iDrive software that was out 6-7 months ago. Well now I have the 545 that has the latest and greatest version of software and there are subtle differences in the climate control settings, the stereo settings etc. The differences are subtle but they are enough different that I?ve found myself having to get re-acquainted with certain features that were previously 2nd nature to me.

Now I can fumble my way through, that's not the point...it's just that I?m in the IT business and when new revs of software come out for my customers telephony/Data networks we are well aware of what will change (and how) prior to having the software loaded.

Typically it's the case that you gain more features/functionality...and I think that's the case with my car too...it's just that it would be nice if a) someone could tell me ahead of time what is going to change and b) once it does change someone could provide a revised "how to" guide...

Do any such things like this exist?
Old 10-20-2004, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Yes this type of thing exists...all of that information can be found right here.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 20 2004, 08:33 AM
Yes this type of thing exists...all of that information can be found right here.?
[snapback]47069[/snapback]
Wow?thanks for the link?that site is great! A plethora of information?and what seems like a really decent group of people making up the membership base.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 20 2004, 07:33 AM
Yes this type of thing exists...all of that information can be found right here.?
[snapback]47069[/snapback]
Hey Rudy, not really. We suffer first as a group and then share the knowledge. I have learned alot from this forum. Liitle tips like holding the I-drive knob to get to the last screen in whichever off the 4 main menus and holding down the nav instruction steering wheel button to mute nav instructions. None of this is in the manual.

Each new release should be acompanied by a document for public review from BMW which tells us the fixes, changes and enhancements in each version. That would save us all a lot of hassle.

I run a small IT consulting company and I am an automobile enthusiast. BUT I dread to think what my Dad would do if he bought an E60. BMW must publish this info so that people can use the cars the way they were designed. E.G. My dealer has never seen the Voice command list thats on this site. Its in my glove box. Every E60 owner should be given one.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 20 2004, 05:07 PM
Each new release should be acompanied by a document for public review from BMW which tells us the fixes,? changes and enhancements in each version.? That would save us all a lot of hassle.

[snapback]47312[/snapback]
Since BMW is not an IT company, it's not used to being in contact with their user base on a regular basis. All the older cars didn't require our level of support. Obviously they didn't plan for it so we just suffer until the software is stabilized/updated. They didn't lear anything from the 7 series.

They remind me of Microsoft. Don't admit anything because they you'll have to explain it and the stock value will probably go down.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 20 2004, 08:07 PM
Hey Rudy,? not really.? We suffer first as a group and then share the knowledge.? I have learned alot from this forum.? Liitle tips like holding the I-drive knob to get to the last screen in whichever off the 4 main menus and holding down the nav instruction steering wheel button to mute nav instructions.? None of this is in the manual.

Each new release should be acompanied by a document for public review from BMW which tells us the fixes,? changes and enhancements in each version.? That would save us all a lot of hassle.

I run a small IT consulting company and I am an automobile enthusiast.? BUT I dread to think what my Dad would do if he bought an E60.? BMW must publish this info so that people can use the cars the way they were designed.? E.G.? My dealer has never seen the Voice command list thats on this site.? Its in my glove box.? Every E60 owner should be given one.
[snapback]47312[/snapback]
I know, I know, I was only kidding around...

To be honest, most of the issues with upgrades are sorted out here really quickly which, in turn, helps us to provide the answers to the most common things faster than most people are getting the software upgrades. So in actuality, there is a small bit of truth to my joke!

I wouldn't hold your breath for BMW to produce any updated documentation -- they're too busy working out all the bugs to have time for that!
Old 10-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Rudy
I know, I know, I was only kidding around...

To be honest, most of the issues with upgrades are sorted out here really quickly which, in turn, helps us to provide the answers to the most common things faster than most people are getting the software upgrades.? So in actuality, there is a small bit of truth to my joke!

I wouldn't hold your breath for BMW to produce any updated documentation -- they're too busy working out all the bugs to have time for that!
[snapback]47345[/snapback]
You are right. so whats this about V14.2? It would be sweet if it retrofitted the car for BT. I will run to dealer when its available. This 13.2 Rev is so slow
Old 10-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW only provides dealers what module will be affected. Not detailed fix. If someone looks on BMW TIS, he knows what I am talking about.