E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Idrive Died

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tallers' post='520035' date='Jan 19 2008, 02:06 PM
First of all, neither the CCC nor the software update are covered by CPO.
I am sorry to hear that although I suspected that and posted something to that effect either in this thread or in a similar thread.

This is a very expensive part and critical to the car?s operation but BMW has not covered satnav systems and radios in earlier cars so I am not surprised.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d

Originally Posted by tallers' post='520035' date='Jan 19 2008, 08:06 PM
First of all, neither the CCC nor the software update are covered by CPO. :thumbsdown:
Sorry to hear about that
I really don't understand BMW policy here ! They know CCC with 27 Progman can dysfunction, and they don't even pay for SW upgrade ? I know you have a 04 E60, but SW upgrade should (could ?) have been free (my opinion anyway..)

Good luck with your new SW update !
Old 01-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by copello' post='520208' date='Jan 20 2008, 01:27 AM
I really don't understand BMW policy here !
While I would agree that it is not the best policy, it's pretty clearly stated in their CPO literature.

Not Covered: Radio/cassette player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, or any components of those systems.

That would imply it's not covered. However, climate control is covered, and this is coupled with iDrive, so this may be a conflict with the above. Perhaps if iDrive dies, you should complain that you can't adjust the vent settings.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='520241' date='Jan 20 2008, 09:57 AM
While I would agree that it is not the best policy, it's pretty clearly stated in their CPO literature.

Not Covered: Radio/cassette player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, or any components of those systems.
The thing is CCC is more than radio/nav/tel/cd changer: isn't it THE master computer controlling basically everything onboard? I remember my first CCC crash led to battery discharge.....
Old 02-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i, Silver Gray-Black Dakota, Cold pkg, Prem. Sound, Sport pkg, Nav, Voice Activation

Just a quick update. Still no problems with the iDrive since the software update. It appears that was the problem.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tallers' post='525833' date='Feb 1 2008, 03:59 PM
Just a quick update. Still no problems with the iDrive since the software update. It appears that was the problem.
Great news !
Hope things get settled down !
Old 02-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i, Silver Gray-Black Dakota, Cold pkg, Prem. Sound, Sport pkg, Nav, Voice Activation

I guess I spoke too soon. I started my car today, went somewhere for 1 1/2 hours, when I returned to my car and started it the iDrive screen was blank! I think the software update did not do the trick. It was blank for a short ride. Stopped again. When I restarted the car shortly thereafter, all was ok.

If my CCC is going bad, which is not covered under my CPO, I may wait 'til it dies for good. I understand the CCC cost is ~ $1200 USD + install. Has anyone had this done and if so, what was the cost?

Also, if the CCC is 07 or later, does the NAV come with RTT (Real-time Traffic)?
Old 02-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tallers' post='526377' date='Feb 2 2008, 05:57 PM
I guess I spoke too soon. I started my car today, went somewhere for 1 1/2 hours, when I returned to my car and started it the iDrive screen was blank! I think the software update did not do the trick. It was blank for a short ride. Stopped again. When I restarted the car shortly thereafter, all was ok.

If my CCC is going bad, which is not covered under my CPO, I may wait 'til it dies for good. I understand the CCC cost is ~ $1200 USD + install. Has anyone had this done and if so, what was the cost?

Also, if the CCC is 07 or later, does the NAV come with RTT (Real-time Traffic)?
No point in waiting - if it does die for good, you may find yourself stuck somewhere.

Re the RTT, that's a radio function. One of the FM tuners was removed and replaced with a TI tuner.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Members

How does that work, re: removal of an FM tuner? I drove a 07 335i loaner which had iDrive & Nav. The Nav screen showed the traffic conditions, shown in symbols (black triangles) along the route. The more black triangles shown, the congested the route. Also, it's a free service versus a pay for service like XM Traffic.

If it works the same way, where can I have that done and how much? Thanks.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tallers' post='526451' date='Feb 2 2008, 09:52 PM
How does that work, re: removal of an FM tuner? I drove a 07 335i loaner which had iDrive & Nav. The Nav screen showed the traffic conditions, shown in symbols (black triangles) along the route. The more black triangles shown, the congested the route. Also, it's a free service versus a pay for service like XM Traffic.

If it works the same way, where can I have that done and how much? Thanks.
Well, the radio was designed with multiple FM tuners. One tuner was for standard FM and the other was used for the ALL STATIONS or whatever it was called view - in other words it had a specialized use.

When the radio was redesigned, that tuner was removed and the TI tuner was added.

The black triangles are for traffic flow, although I don't think they are triangles but arrows.

Quick Reply: Idrive Died