E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive delay problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone else has the problem in iDrive, which I notice when I'm using NAV entry for destinations, that when I move the puck downwards to click to the next lower field, I can't get the frame highlight to move much of the time.

It most often occurs in the field where you enter a new desitination, street name, number, etc, and further down to Map Facing North.

It seems like the software is just sitting there thinking, and it's not only upon start-up of the car.

I was wondering if I have a bad software install, or are there some versions of the iDrive software known for this???? or could it even be a computer problem. Any others' experiences would be great.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Contributors

Mine does this too. Even on reqular menu items like the brightness of the display. I can click into it and the control knob will be frozen for like 15 seconds before it will let me adjust the brightness. My software seems very buggy with all sorts of strange things happening. See my no sound post here.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Senior Members

ULtraPLanet,

Thanks, I read your other post. It sounds like I should have them re-install the software. I also got a red pixel on the screen and a lopsided HUD display they can work on.....
Old 08-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

hard to be certain from the description, but it sounds like either
- delay while device is finding the right bit of data (i find it is slower than i would have expected by far -- the delay from greyed-out/unusable to white/selectable is long indicating the supplier went cheap on the drives)
or
- info not available (never leaves greyed-out) - which is just inadequate data
Old 08-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skidster' date='Aug 20 2004, 07:56 PM
hard to be certain from the description, but it sounds like either
- delay while device is finding the right bit of data (i find it is slower than i would have expected by far -- the delay from greyed-out/unusable to white/selectable is long indicating the supplier went cheap on the drives)
or
- info not available (never leaves greyed-out) - which is just inadequate data
Mine does the usual delay when it is working normally, but sometimes it just doesn't move at all for extended periods of time, even when I give it time to change fields, then I try a second time and 3rd time with lots of waiting in-between attempts.....
Old 08-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

that has happened to me, but a little worse, on a few occasions -- it just froze or died -- -- eventually it restarts

but what you describe does not happen to me - not with busNav and pre-v12 software, at least... let you know next week after i've upgraded
Old 08-21-2004, 01:29 AM
Members

You know what I'm asking myself..?? WHY IN THE WORLD DIDN'T BMW USE A LINUX BASED SOFTWARE???????? Why did they choose this fu*#$&^ Windows one..???
|
Old 08-21-2004, 01:31 AM
Senior Members

Very good point Radu530d!
Old 08-21-2004, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Radu530d' date='Aug 21 2004, 11:29 AM
You know what I'm asking myself..?? WHY IN THE WORLD DIDN'T BMW USE A LINUX BASED SOFTWARE???????? Why did they choose this fu*#$&^ Windows one..???
I asked myself the exact same a couple times.
Attached Thumbnails iDrive delay problems-pinguin_augenaufschlag.gif  
Old 08-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I've had an other problem during my trip to maastricht.

I drove on a road that was rerouted. The navigation did not understand that the road was rerouted (logical) and showed me driving 500 meters next to the road. After a few km's my Navigation frose and nothing worked anymore.. I couldn't even eject the navigation DVD. I stopped at a tankstop and shut the engine. Waited a few minutes and started again. Still nothing only the BMW logo showed. I shutted everything off again and waited 10 minutes.. After that everything worked okay.

Another problem I have is when I am in the startup screen I use the I-Drive controller to the right and navigation will not start. Sometimes I have to do it 10 or 15 times before it goes to the rightside and navigation will start. All other options like entertaiiment and communication will work normal. First I thought the I-Drive knob was faulty and it just wouldn't work pushing it to the right. But in all the other screens going to the right is no problem.

I have pronav and when I am in Navigation and want to change the right side of the screen to give me the arrow routing or other info it won't go there and I first need to go to the mainmenu, then go back to navigation, then ask for the mapscreen and then try it again and most of the times I can change the right part of the screen. Anybody have an idea???

Quick Reply: iDrive delay problems