E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

to iceman: wooden trim for bottom console

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Wow - I really want that. The biggest dissapointment in my car is that part of the central dash, it looks Sooooo cheap.

I anyone manages to get the new facia (with soft paint) then please let me know.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by stream' date='Feb 20 2005, 08:55 PM
That part should be available now.? My '05 545i (11/04 build) has all the parts shown in that pic in soft paint (the pic says 09/04 for soft paint).
[snapback]92483[/snapback]
Yeah, but I'll have to give my car to the dealer in March anyways for one week, maybe longer. So, I let them take care on everything then.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 20 2005, 05:12 PM
[quote name='stream' date='Feb 20 2005, 08:55 PM']That part should be available now.? My '05 545i (11/04 build) has all the parts shown in that pic in soft paint (the pic says 09/04 for soft paint).
Yeah, but I'll have to give my car to the dealer in March anyways for one week, maybe longer. So, I let them take care on everything then.
[snapback]92562[/snapback]
[/quote]
Is soft paint the same as what is on other parts of the dash? - i.e. to the left and right of the centre console with CD/NAV slots as shown in stream's picture. If so, and if that is indeed a picture of the interior of stream's car, then he does not have the soft paint as it is the same as mine. If it's not a picture of your car stream, please post one so that we (me anyway) can see what soft paint looks like.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 20 2005, 05:12 PM
[quote name='stream' date='Feb 20 2005, 08:55 PM']That part should be available now.? My '05 545i (11/04 build) has all the parts shown in that pic in soft paint (the pic says 09/04 for soft paint).
[/quote]

Are you sure it reallly makes a dif in looks? I failed to find a big one
Old 02-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by DXXXi' date='Feb 20 2005, 09:09 PM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Feb 20 2005, 05:12 PM'][quote name='stream' date='Feb 20 2005, 08:55 PM']That part should be available now.? My '05 545i (11/04 build) has all the parts shown in that pic in soft paint (the pic says 09/04 for soft paint).
[/quote]
Is soft paint the same as what is on other parts of the dash? - i.e. to the left and right of the centre console with CD/NAV slots as shown in stream's picture. If so, and if that is indeed a picture of the interior of stream's car, then he does not have the soft paint as it is the same as mine. If it's not a picture of your car stream, please post one so that we (me anyway) can see what soft paint looks like.
[snapback]92697[/snapback]
[/quote]

The pic in my post above (with the anthracite wood--not the one with the arrows and descriptions of changes) is my car. And yes, the dash part surrounding the A/C control knobs and CD & DVD slots is soft paint, as are the other pieces pointed to in the other pic. I've had soft paint interior parts on my Porsches, and it feels & looks the same. Not sure what you're referring to in the pic. The pic with the description of changes even says it's soft paint from 09/04.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stream' date='Feb 21 2005, 11:59 AM
[quote name='DXXXi' date='Feb 20 2005, 09:09 PM'][quote name='Iceman' date='Feb 20 2005, 05:12 PM'][quote name='stream' date='Feb 20 2005, 08:55 PM']That part should be available now.? My '05 545i (11/04 build) has all the parts shown in that pic in soft paint (the pic says 09/04 for soft paint).
[/quote]
[snapback]92697[/snapback]
[/quote]

The pic in my post above (with the anthracite wood--not the one with the arrows and descriptions of changes) is my car. And yes, the dash part surrounding the A/C control knobs and CD & DVD slots is soft paint, as are the other pieces pointed to in the other pic. I've had soft paint interior parts on my Porsches, and it feels & looks the same. Not sure what you're referring to in the pic. The pic with the description of changes even says it's soft paint from 09/04.
[snapback]92839[/snapback]
[/quote]
My question refers to this: What the heck is soft-paint? If the centre piece on your car is indeed soft-paint, I don't understand would anyone spend money to replace these pieces on an older car because yours looks the same as on my car. I can't see it well enough in the picture with all the arrows.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by igor' date='Feb 21 2005, 01:15 PM
Are you sure it reallly makes a dif in looks? I failed to find a big one
[snapback]92759[/snapback]
I have no clue how it looks. I heard, it improves the look... Well, I will see. Before they switch the parts I will take a look at them.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by stream' date='Feb 21 2005, 11:59 AM
[quote name='DXXXi' date='Feb 20 2005, 09:09 PM']
The pic in my post above (with the anthracite wood--not the one with the arrows and descriptions of changes) is my car.? And yes, the dash part surrounding the A/C control knobs and CD & DVD slots is soft paint, as are the other pieces pointed to in the other pic.? I've had soft paint interior parts on my Porsches, and it feels & looks the same.? Not sure what you're referring to in the pic.? The pic with the description of changes even says it's soft paint from 09/04.
[snapback]92839[/snapback]
My question refers to this: What the heck is soft-paint? If the centre piece on your car is indeed soft-paint, I don't understand would anyone spend money to replace these pieces on an older car because yours looks the same as on my car. I can't see it well enough in the picture with all the arrows.
[snapback]92900[/snapback]
[/quote]

Soft paint is a coating that is applied to plastic interior pieces, that makes them feel and look higher quality (less shiny, more of a matte finish), and in fact has a similar finish to smooth leather. It's called soft paint because when you touch it, the texture makes it feel soft, almost like it was leather covered. My guess is it's actually a rubber coating.

I don't have any point of reference for comparison on the 5 series so I can't say if the soft paint would be noticeably different and worth upgrading to. I can tell you that Porsche also uses this finish, and it greatly improves the finish quality--to the untrained eye the pieces match the leather dash, for example, perfectly.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

Ok, thanks. I think I understand. I will check it out and if it looks a lot better and the parts aren't too excessive, maybe I'll swap em out.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Members

How long its take to get an order at you're dealer?
My dad ordered a wood piece for center console will it have soft-paint yet?

Iceman, its stupid to change everything to a new modelyear.... I don't think it gonna make sens. But a wood piece is enough for mee( but soft-paint will be nice)

Quick Reply: to iceman: wooden trim for bottom console