E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ice and Snow in Northern England

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530d M sport auto, Carbon black, Beige leather, Light poplar trim, Media pack, Extended voice control.

After washing my new beemer, and posting photos yesterday, guess what happened.

My nice shiny car gets covered in snow. Anyway it turned out to be good opportunity to try out the handling in icy conditions.

I'm pleased to say the electrickery worked as advertised and it felt like a stable and sure footed ride. The DSC /DTC warning flashed away depending how hard you pushed but very comforting to know that BMW has done a good job at keeping the E60 on the straight and narrow
Old 03-13-2006, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

:thumbsdown:

I was thinking of replying on your post yesterday, and say that you should be lucky that you don't have any snow at all! Here i Denmark, the winter is cold this year, and we still got snow. Temprature is around -1 -> -8 C.. So the E60 is dirty.... I don't have a garage where I can wash the car in the winters, as I have in Stockholm where we lived before... So I'm waiting for tempratures over freezing... The weather forecast says friday
Old 03-13-2006, 04:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Saw your photos of the beast in yesterday's post - looks great.

What options do you have? If you add some details to your signature we can see what she's got.

Are those 18's on runflats? My 17 inch Bridgestone runflats were hopeless when we had some decent snow on March 1st. (We only had a light covering with very slushy roads here in Southern most Wales yesterday.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: –

I feel sorry for you m8..

That is exactly the opposite we have in Turku right now Sun is shining and it's +1 degrees Looks good feels good
Old 03-13-2006, 05:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530d M sport auto, Carbon black, Beige leather, Light poplar trim, Media pack, Extended voice control.

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='254145' date='Mar 13 2006, 01:14 PM
Saw your photos of the beast in yesterday's post - looks great.

What options do you have? If you add some details to your signature we can see what she's got.

Are those 18's on runflats? My 17 inch Bridgestone runflats were hopeless when we had some decent snow on March 1st. (We only had a light covering with very slushy roads here in Southern most Wales yesterday.
Have updatede signature as suggested. (Hope it works)

Yes they are 18" run flats (Good Year) and the grip seemed fine to me. I don't think we had as much snow as you. Also I probably wasn't giving it too much welly as I want to run my baby in properly (also don't want to run off the road inadvertantly)

I'm a little worried about all the posts re poor ride on run flats. The GY's seem good to me and I expect a firmer ride with the sport suspension set up. I would like to compare a similar M Sport car with non run flats to see if ride is any better but this is probably difficult to arrange
Old 03-13-2006, 06:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I forget if you waxed it or not... but if you did look at it this way... you put a nice layer of protection before the white stuff hit.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='254177' date='Mar 13 2006, 03:08 PM
I forget if you waxed it or not... but if you did look at it this way... you put a nice layer of protection before the white stuff hit.
Did not wax the car, but paint was protected before delivery with "diamondbrite finish"(see the following web site: http://www.jewelultra.com/diamondbrite.htm )

My dealer sold me this and I hope this treatment will help me keep the carbon black paint looking good and avoid swirl marks that others complain about. I must say that it did seem easy to wash and a simple wipe down with a chamois leather was all that was needed to bring up the shine.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Nige Nige' post='254197' date='Mar 13 2006, 03:57 PM
Did not wax the car, but paint was protected before delivery with "diamondbrite finish"(see the following web site: http://www.jewelultra.com/diamondbrite.htm )

My dealer sold me this and I hope this treatment will help me keep the carbon black paint looking good and avoid swirl marks that others complain about. I must say that it did seem easy to wash and a simple wipe down with a chamois leather was all that was needed to bring up the shine.
Oh well - would have got dirty soon enough with all the road grime anyway.

Nice car though.