E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I will give $1000 to the first person...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

that can come up with an idrive hack to get rid of the annoying, pointless idrive warning screen that we have to click through every time we start our cars.

May God curse all product litigation/personal injury lawyers for this thorn in my side.

Any takers?
Old 07-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Members

The Agony of pushing a Button! Is it really that big of a deal to push the I-Drive button once?? Or do you really feel like... :bashwall: when you get in the car?
Old 07-15-2005, 01:24 PM
A90
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this -> nuke i-drive

Old 07-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Jul 15 2005, 10:09 PM
that can come up with an idrive hack to get rid of the annoying, pointless idrive warning screen that we have to click through every time we start our cars.

May God curse all product litigation/personal injury lawyers? for this thorn in my side.

Any takers?
[snapback]149500[/snapback]

Is this how you feel...
Old 07-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no way anyone can hack the i-Drive unless source code is available and hardware to load hijacked i-Drive sw is also needed. Just image a whole software dept working on i-Drive sw and still have bugs here and there. What happen if some one hack i-Drive and screw up? Nah, don't think about.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:32 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Jul 15 2005, 11:30 PM
There is no way anyone can hack the i-Drive unless source code is available and hardware to load hijacked i-Drive sw is also needed. Just image a whole software dept working on i-Drive sw and still have bugs here and there. What happen if some one hack i-Drive and screw up? Nah, don't think about.
[snapback]149522[/snapback]
But in europe there is no warning. So maybe it's just a parameter to change, but they won't do it for you due to US laws.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Senior Members

Is there a US version of iDrive software that causes this, or is this a feature on all our cars but only active on US vehicles because of a "location" setting in iDrive?

Maybe I can sell you my SW for $999.99!
ha ha!
Old 07-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Contributors

afaik, i-drive uses the msft windows ce os.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2...03-04BMWpr.mspx

that's a start. if europe does not have it, then there's probably a section of code that turns it on or off based on geography.

how to get to that piece of code is the key; when your dealer loads updated software, ask them if they have to go thru a setup screen. maybe there is a code to enter for geographical location.

but how it affects the other functions then is the question (or if they would even do it). but if the software load is tweaked per region (meaning US receives its own version of 18.xx, and europe gets its own, etc)...

...well then, unless you are a sw engineer working for bmw + assigned on the i-drive project + have access to the hw equipment that loads the software, then you're probably out of luck. (and i hope i'm wrong, since it bugs the hell out of me, too).

or for $1000 have your kid/neighborhood kid jump in your car when he/she hears it start, so he/she can click it for you. then pay the kid a buck - that should be good for a 1000 times!

Old 07-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by daydok' date='Jul 15 2005, 04:18 PM
afaik, i-drive uses the msft windows ce os.

or for $1000? have your kid/neighborhood kid jump in your car when he/she hears it start, so he/she can click it for you. then pay the kid a buck - that should be good for a 1000 times!

[snapback]149529[/snapback]

So there is no warning in Europe. Damn I hate lawyers in this country. The sad thing is there is some stupid BMW lawyer in this country that actually thinks that forcing someone to read the same warning 10,000 times is actually necessary. Can't I just sign a waiver ONE TIME saying that if I crash while using idrive that I won't sue BMW????

I'd like to find that lawyer, sneak into his house, and cut off all the DO NOT REMOVE tags on his mattress just to panic him.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Contributors

...or install a keypad lock in ALL his bathrooms where he needs to TYPE 'accept' on the keypad before it lets him in to use it...

Quick Reply: I will give $1000 to the first person...