E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I went car shopping today

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After owning 530 for 20 months now, I am kind of getting tired of my car to be frank.

I have kept on adding "accessories" to the car for more excitement, but recently i lost interest.

so I went to a car dealer today. (oh, I didn't buy one though)

I tried out M5 and Viper SRT10.

one word: WOW.

Viper was too much of a car for me, and I couldn't see anything (visibility sucked)....it wouldn't be practical for daily use, so i gave up.

I tried out M5...I really envy you, m5 owners!!!
M5 was a beast (It was the first time I got in M5)

I drove back home in my 530, and it felt like i was driving a Pinto.

man, weather in LA is so nice today
Old 06-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Contributors

so are you planning on getting the m5 or just teasing yourself?
Old 06-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Members

I am moving back to east coast in a month, so i am not sure if M5 or any RWD can do well in east coast weather.

Do you guys in east coast drive e60 during winter time, or own a winter car?

I'll probably wait until I come back to west coast.

I move so often...I think it's time for me to get married and have my wife tie me down
Old 06-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

There are a lot of members here that own/drive a RWD year round on the east coast that just have a winter set up for wheels/tires and seem to do just fine, even M5 owners...get yourself the M5, if you don't and you end up get something else, you'll always be comparing it to the M5 and wishing you got it anyway...
Old 06-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Gene is right. Tons of east coast members drive their E60s in the winter.

All you need is a set of dedicated snow tires. If I lived in the mountains of Vermont or New Hampshire I'd get an Xi. But for living in most northeastern cities or suburbs, RWD with 4 snow tires is enough for day to day driving in the winter.

I have had a bunch of RWD V8 cars up here in the northeast. I've always been fine with winter tires.

A Viper is blazing fast but is a toy -- not a real day to day car. It's a second car only.

The M5 is real fast (not Viper fast but plenty fast) and can do it all -- carry a full load of passengers and theur luggage and still go like stink.

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='925847' date='Jun 27 2009, 05:26 PM
There are a lot of members here that own/drive a RWD year round on the east coast that just have a winter set up and seem to do just fine, even M5 owners...get yourself the M5, if you don't and get something else, you'll always be comparing it to the M5 and wishing you got it anyway...
Old 06-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Members

just get yourself a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires. BMWs really are phenomenal cars in the snow with the right tires. Germany/Austria gets a good amount of snow.

go for it
Old 06-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='925853' date='Jun 27 2009, 05:42 PM
Gene is right. Tons of east coast members drive their E60s in the winter.

All you need is a set of dedicated snow tires. If I lived in the mountains of Vermont or New Hampshire I'd get an Xi. But for living in most northeastern cities or suburbs, RWD with 4 snow tires is enough for day to day driving in the winter.

I have had a bunch of RWD V8 cars up here in the northeast. I've always been fine with winter tires.

A Viper is blazing fast but is a toy -- not a real day to day car. It's a second car only.

The M5 is real fast (not Viper fast but plenty fast) and can do it all -- carry a full load of passengers and theur luggage and still go like stink.
At least you can take an M5 around a corner faster than 10mph

You have to come to a complete stop before you can go around a corner in the viper
Old 06-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='925859' date='Jun 27 2009, 05:52 PM
At least you can take an M5 around a corner faster than 10mph

You have to come to a complete stop before you can go around a corner in the viper
Are you referring to the Viper's Peterbilt-like turning circle?
Old 06-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Senior Members

On my 2007 525i non sports I drove in the winter without any issues. The all season conti tires did a great job on traction. I did have one problem this past winter going up hill but my tires were almost bald I did replace the tires with a new set before lease end and drove the car for rest of the winter with no problems.

On my current car, I am kinda worried, but I think I will be calling in sick for work during snow storms.
Maybe get some snow tires, but I don't think I will taking the car out when it snows.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Members

If you want to save some $$ just compromise between your 530 and the M5.. get a used 545i.

Quick Reply: I went car shopping today