E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want that strong leather smell back

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Does anyone have a way of getting that strong smell of leather back? While looking for this current ride, I tried all kinds of cars (Mercs, Porsches, BMWs, Audis etc) and sometimes you'd get into one of them (I think Merc and Porsche the most) and the leather would smell fantastic. I want that. I don't know if that strong smell just comes from new leather, or the highest quality leather, but my 4.5 year old Ascari leather seats don't smell of anything.

I went to a local leather place here and got myself a bag of off-cuts (the bits they have left over when they're covering something). Shoved a few under the seats, but nothing. The guy in the place must have thought I was a bit weird - probably a good judge of character then huh ;-) My German's acceptable, but probably wasn't good enough that I conveyed to him what I was after.

Is there a special type of leather I should look out for that has the strongest finest smell? If so, I'll buy myself a couple of feet of that and see how that goes.

I've tried leather aroma air-fresheners and leather conditioners, they don't help
Old 11-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Contributors

Me too!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

You can buy it here.

Or here.

On the first page/link there is an explanation (in German) why you don't smell your leather.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i Msport Euro specs: voice command, Lighting package, bluetooth package, premium sound and M5 wheels.

I still have the strong scent after 4 years since I never used a car freshener and i keep it clean almost everyday. A bmw from old to new has a particular leather scent like a "Feregamo Shoes" only sweeter.

You must have used or still using a car freshener. This masked the natural scent of the car especially if you are using it for a long time. It acumulates in the interior filter and the airconditioning evaporator.

I have experience this with my friends E46 bmw when he bought it second hand. We brought it for interior detailing since it was filthy inside and it smells like a hooker. They disassembled the aircon vents, evaporator cover, all parts of the interior was cleansed including the head liner. We were surprised that all the wax from the airfreshener were in the interior filter and some on the evaporator.

After coming out of the detailer it smells like what a brand new bmw again. I don't know if this is applicable to you.
This is the final solution than masking it again with leather scent spray...

Hope this helps. Cheers!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the "new car" tips, but that's not what I'm wanting. My car smells just fine. There's nothing I'm trying to hide or mask.

I've tried a few of these cleaners, fresheners and conditioners that you're meant to apply to the leather, but they don't do anything useful.

What I'm looking for is a real way of getting it back. I think buying the right type of leather (that smells the strongest) and laying a few pieces under the seats or on the back seat. I'm just not sure what type it would be or where to get it.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i Msport Euro specs: voice command, Lighting package, bluetooth package, premium sound and M5 wheels.

Buy 2 italian leather shoes and place it under the 2 front seat I remember that when I bought a pair of shoes my bedroom smells like Rolls Royce for weeks.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by joattack' post='723951' date='Nov 18 2008, 06:37 AM
Buy 2 italian leather shoes and place it under the 2 front seat I remember that when I bought a pair of shoes my bedroom smells like Rolls Royce for weeks

How 'bout that? Can I put a RR under my bed so I can dream about Italian shoes?
Old 11-18-2008, 02:52 AM
Members

you're my idol bro
Old 11-18-2008, 05:04 AM
Members

Try groits.com they sell an air frsh leather spray.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:24 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

leatherique leather conditioner and cleaner should do the trick

Quick Reply: I want that strong leather smell back