E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Walked Away from Wrecked 550i, Now I'm into this. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone again.
May be some of you already know, I raised a question of buying 2008 BMW 550i, which has airbags deployed.
I got such a excellent feedbacks from you guys. I was sad, but smart enough to walk away from it.
Now is this.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

How much should I pay for OTD? Tax is 7%
Of course I am gonna go through $200 check up with BMW maintenance, but what are things that YOU MUST do, in order to avoid a Headache car?
How much to buy extended warranty? I think this one is also expired.
BMW maintenance cost will be crazy? I know that it is a lot more expensive to maintain a BMW compare to Infinti, but I don't know the exact price range.

Thank you in advance.

Josh,
Old 09-21-2011, 04:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

If you are living in, around or near Atlanta you might want to give David a call at Princetonmotorcars. He might not have what you want but it would be worth to ask if he knows or is planning on getting something in that you would be interested in. http://www.princetonmotorcars.com I purchased from him and was absolutely the best experience I have ever had with a car purchase. I walked away feeling all was fair and I wasn't taken... I had looked at the other Co. and admired their inventory, but after researching on Google I changed my mind.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:15 AM
New Members

I don't own a 550, so I can't give you guidance specific to that model, but I can offer some general ideas applicable to the e60 (or any car for that matter).

First, when you are having the car checked over at a BMW dealer, have them print out service history. The fact that the car is being marketed right after warranty expiration makes me wonder if it has been a problem child, so I'd use the service history to determine that.

Second, have the mechanic estimate remaining life on tires and brakes -- both are expensive to replace, so if they are near eol I'd use that in final price negotiations. Also, get the mechanic to list all and everything that currently needs attention or will very soon, along with the cost to correct each item. Again, this will help you get a realistic picture of what you are getting into and the cost or running a 550 and could give you additional negotiation leverage.

BTW, good move walking away from the last one. This one looks great, has the right miles, and is extremely well optioned. Only thing better would be the same car with CPO warranty and 100k extended maintenance for ~$2k more.

Good luck... Seems that you are smitten with the 550... Nothing wrong with that!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:59 AM
Members

Def ask for the service history. Pay attention to the type of work and frequency that it was in for. Look under the car for any odd wear and tear. If a shop will let you get under the car and take the shields off to look around that would be great to look for any crazy drips.

When you take the car in for the pre-buy inspection specifically ask them to check if the rims are bent. Sounds odd but it's not on their checklist and I bought a car that had 4 bent rims and went through an inspection at Classic BMW in Dallas.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Members

Why is it not CPO-d?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Members

abt to close deal on 34k otd.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

Originally Posted by JoshLee89
abt to close deal on 34k otd.
Or I misunderstood something, but car price is ~31,500, why do you want to 34K?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:43 AM
Senior Members

I think it's a good price assuming it's near new cndition, which it appears, never been in an accident and tires are 70 % or better. I paid $37k for my 2008 550i in march with37k miles less nav and hud.....but cpo from a bmw dealer. Get a good aftermarket warranty and assume you'll invest $1000 in tires in first yr......trust me, these contis last 10-12k on these. Gl
Old 09-23-2011, 01:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Laci535i
Why is it not CPO-d?
Not a bmw ddealer
Old 09-23-2011, 01:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by phlfly
Or I misunderstood something, but car price is ~31,500, why do you want to 34K?
Otd, taxes, doc fees, etc.

Quick Reply: I Walked Away from Wrecked 550i, Now I'm into this. Worth it?