E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

i vs. xi - Any feedback after latest storm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 03:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi, platinum gray w/ nat brown; anthracite headliner, PP, SP, CWP, 18" wheels, L7, Ipod, FDR seats

I'm trying to decide between the i and xi version for the 530/535 - I've had the E46 and E39 RWD, and with snows never got into a real problem (I'm in upstate NY, but not the snow belt areas near the lakes). I've never had the sport package, and from what I've read, fans of the SP say you haven't driven a BMW until you've tried one with the SP, and I know the xi versions don't have the sport suspension. I've also heard owner's (and dealers) say xi is incredible all year round, especially in ice & snow, and BMW standard suspension is great without the SP.

Just wondering, with the big storm in the NE this past week, does any of you RWD owners wish they went with the xi? Does anyone regret getting the SP due to harshness, bad roads, etc.? When leasing for 3 years, a test drive doesn't always give you the full picture - I just don't want to have any regrets during the 2nd and 3rd years of the lease.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

Originally Posted by JimO' post='392174' date='Feb 16 2007, 07:49 AM
I'm trying to decide between the i and xi version for the 530/535 - I've had the E46 and E39 RWD, and with snows never got into a real problem (I'm in upstate NY, but not the snow belt areas near the lakes). I've never had the sport package, and from what I've read, fans of the SP say you haven't driven a BMW until you've tried one with the SP, and I know the xi versions don't have the sport suspension. I've also heard owner's (and dealers) say xi is incredible all year round, especially in ice & snow, and BMW standard suspension is great without the SP.

Just wondering, with the big storm in the NE this past week, does any of you RWD owners wish they went with the xi? Does anyone regret getting the SP due to harshness, bad roads, etc.? When leasing for 3 years, a test drive doesn't always give you the full picture - I just don't want to have any regrets during the 2nd and 3rd years of the lease.
I have a 2004 530i with the sport package and 17" Dunlop Wintersport M3s. My car handled the recent snow "storm" very well.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2011

This past week I was in York County, Pennsylvania with my RWD 525i. It was fine in the snow and icy conditions but one had to be careful. While there, I drove a colleague's new 330xi and the difference was remarkable.

While my RWD handled the conditions well, the xi drove like the snow was not even there. Really impressive. Next time, I am going for AWD.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M-Sport xDrive
Model Year: 2017

I used to drive VW 4motion with all season tires and I must say my 545i with snow tires handles much better in the ice and snow.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JimO' post='392174' date='Feb 16 2007, 07:49 AM

I currently have an E39 with the SP. All you need is a set of good snow tires (I have the Dunlop M3s as well and love them), and you can get through just about anything that's thrown your way. When my snow tires were new and even 2 or 3 seasons old, I was passing suvs that were stuck.

I love the sport package and I think the sport suspension is absolutely fantastic in a BMW and I wouldn't want the car any other way. I just ordered my '08 e60 and bought the i, not xi, because, the way I see it, it's about the numbers: 95% of the year, I won't have to worry about snow. If I bought an xi, I would get the sport package with the upgraded 18 inch 246 wheels with summer tires anyway (for performance, handling, and style). So I would have to buy snow tires in the winter to replace the summer tires regardless of whether I bought the i or xi. If I have to buy them anyway, I'll deal the with RWD in the 4 or 5 bad snow days a year (at least where I live) because the car is still good in the snow, and have the sport suspension the other 300 or so days a year.

Don't get me wrong, I think the xi is a fantastic car. It's just that, for me, I wouldn't want to give up the sport suspension and active roll stabilization which I will absolutely love 95% of the year, just so that my 'great' car in the snow, will be 'exceptional' in the snow, 4 or 5 times a year.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:12 AM
Members

I just purchased an 07 525i last weekend and when the snow hit i wished i had my ML350 again. I got stuck 3 times and it took my 30 minutes to get out if a parking lot. Spend a little more and go with the xi. I WISH I DID
Old 02-16-2007, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

I think it boils down to priorities. If you lust after a stiff riding, quasi 4 door sports car (as I do), then a sport package rear driver is the answer and snow tires will allow you to cope with most conditions. However, I must say that the standard suspension E60s I have driven still have a nice tight ride. If you can't discern a considerable difference between the sports and standard suspension cars, then go xi all the way. If I had to choose a BMW to enter into a comparison with other sedans from rival companies, I would choose the 535xi manual, for price, performance etc...

Good luck
DRP
Old 02-16-2007, 06:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gravis121' post='392195' date='Feb 16 2007, 09:12 AM
I just purchased an 07 525i last weekend and when the snow hit i wished i had my ML350 again. I got stuck 3 times and it took my 30 minutes to get out if a parking lot. Spend a little more and go with the xi. I WISH I DID
Do you have a set of snow tires on the car? When I got my 525 (e39), I was stuck in my own office driveway during the first snow storm that I had the car. And the driveway is totally flat. I took some advice and bought a set of snow tires, and I can tell you that it is a completely different car. I go up hills that my wife won't climb in her Lexus SUV. I bought Dunlop Wintersport M3s. If you don't have snow tires, give it a shot.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545i | Orient Blue | Blk Lthr | Sport | 6 Sp MT | Cold | Logic 7 | Sirius | iPod | Rear Heat | PDC | Rear SRS | NAV | HUD | AngeliBright Blue Up Next: New Radar Detector (Valentine 1 w/remote), SolarGuard 6% on all windows, Italian Euro Plate) '07 ML 500 | Alpine Blue | Blk Lthr | Pkg II | Lighting Pkg | Multicontour Seats | 6 CDC | iPod (Wife's Ride) Fond memories of: '03 540ia (the tightest car I ever owned!)

Originally Posted by JimO' post='392174' date='Feb 16 2007, 06:49 AM

I LOVE MY BLIZZAKS, and I live in Chicago and we just got pounded this last week... BMW RWD is amazing (when coupled with a great snow tire). EOS
Old 02-16-2007, 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545i | Orient Blue | Blk Lthr | Sport | 6 Sp MT | Cold | Logic 7 | Sirius | iPod | Rear Heat | PDC | Rear SRS | NAV | HUD | AngeliBright Blue Up Next: New Radar Detector (Valentine 1 w/remote), SolarGuard 6% on all windows, Italian Euro Plate) '07 ML 500 | Alpine Blue | Blk Lthr | Pkg II | Lighting Pkg | Multicontour Seats | 6 CDC | iPod (Wife's Ride) Fond memories of: '03 540ia (the tightest car I ever owned!)

Originally Posted by geobmw' post='392193' date='Feb 16 2007, 08:11 AM
I used to drive VW 4motion with all season tires and I must say my 545i with snow tires handles much better in the ice and snow.

Amen brother!

Quick Reply: i vs. xi - Any feedback after latest storm?