E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I Raced a '11 Mustang GT 5.0 Today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

so i am driving in to the office this morning on my normal commute. i leave late every morning so the freeways are clear and i can enjoy a spirited drive downtown (read: fast). usually i zip by any and everyone on the freeway. at 70mph and above the dual RPI scoops and dinan intake really increase the power and i love it so passing people on the fwy is a hobby

however this morning a murdered out 2011 Mustang GT (5.0 with 400hp) decided that he didnt want to join the ranks of those left in my dust so easily. he tried his best to keep up with me but i continually pulled away from him. once we left the freeway (it ends once you near downtown Detroit) he wanted to have a go at the red light.

engines rev....menacing glances are exchanged....the light turns green....rubber squeals....and i immediately pull ahead of him. hail to the victors, valiant...

my car: February 2004 build 545i | sport package | Dinan Stage 3 tune | Dinan Throttle Body | Dinan Dual Air Intake System | Dual RPI Scoops | Super Sprint Headers and Exhaust System | Lowered 2 Inches | Wheels: Cor Forged Colonial 20 x 9 front 20 x 10.5 rear | Breaks: R1 concepts cross drilled & slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads

driver: mean sonofabitch that backs down to no one, grew up on Detroit muscle but graduated to German engineering. daughter tested, mother approved.

(professional driver on a closed course. follow all traffic laws and ordinances.)
Old 07-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much horsepower is the Dinan package supposed to give?

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but a stock 5.0 Mustang can break into the 11's. He probably did not know how to drive, or rebadged a V6. Your car stock 0-60 is aout 5.5 seconds. A Mustang can do it in under 4.8 with sub 3 second 60' times. If you pulled on him it was driver error.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

true. all very true. thus my fearless driver comment.

while racing on the freeway (close circuit of course lol) most of it is about skill and judgment, how to play the lanes and maneuver through traffic safely. but coming off a red light, its definitely about horsepower and driver skill.

i havent had my car on a dyno yet, but i would wager that im def not above 400hp but possibly close to it.... the 325hp rating of the 545i engine is underrated according to most, the engine tune, air intake, headers & exhaust help out a lot and many believe that the 400hp numbers released by Ford for their 5.0 engine is a bit overrated or 'cooked' for PR/Sales boost.

all in all....i won, he lost. felt good. haha.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

Motortrend has better numbers on the 550. BMW tends to underestimate the times except for the M-series.

Here's part of the article:
Speaking of its steroidal sibling, the 550i isn't that much slower than the M, blitzing to 60 in 4.8 seconds and the quarter in 13.3 at 105.1 mph. Credit goes to BMW's turbine-smooth 360-horse, 4.8-liter V-8 and the group's only manual, an effortless albeit rubbery ZF six-speed.

I would imagine that with the Dinan your numbers should be better, possibly.

Here's the link: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._bmw_550i.html
Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by umichchris
all in all....i won, he lost. felt good. haha.
This is what matters.

Originally Posted by gotabyte
Speaking of its steroidal sibling, the 550i isn't that much slower than the M, blitzing to 60 in 4.8 seconds and the quarter in 13.3 at 105.1 mph. Credit goes to BMW's turbine-smooth 360-horse, 4.8-liter V-8 and the group's only manual, an effortless albeit rubbery ZF six-speed.

Here's the link: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._bmw_550i.html
Thats a 550. He has a 545. Two different beasts.
He has a 325hp 4.4 V8. The 550 is sporting 360hp a 4.8L V8.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Members

It's not the car that makes the man(woman) but the man(woman) that makes the car..congrats on your victory
Old 07-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gotabyte
Here's part of the article:
Speaking of its steroidal sibling, the 550i isn't that much slower than the M, ...
I didn't realize how much truth there was to that comment until I drove my friends non-modded e60 M5 on Saturday long enough to figure out how to use the SMG.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Steveo

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but a stock 5.0 Mustang can break into the 11's. He probably did not know how to drive, or rebadged a V6. Your car stock 0-60 is aout 5.5 seconds. A Mustang can do it in under 4.8 with sub 3 second 60' times. If you pulled on him it was driver error.
+1
Old 07-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Steveo

You just reinforced what I've been saying all along: It's not what car u drive, it's the size of the arm hanging out the window.

What good is having a car that can go 200 MPH if you can only tolerate 120? A victory is a victory. This one counts because he had the bigger nut sack to push his car to its limit and beat a "superior" car. This was not a book contest, this was a contest on the open road and he clearly won.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

Where about do you live? Why have I not seen you/your car yet? You pass through Troy ever?

Originally Posted by umichchris
so i am driving in to the office this morning on my normal commute. i leave late every morning so the freeways are clear and i can enjoy a spirited drive downtown (read: fast). usually i zip by any and everyone on the freeway. at 70mph and above the dual RPI scoops and dinan intake really increase the power and i love it so passing people on the fwy is a hobby

however this morning a murdered out 2011 Mustang GT (5.0 with 400hp) decided that he didnt want to join the ranks of those left in my dust so easily. he tried his best to keep up with me but i continually pulled away from him. once we left the freeway (it ends once you near downtown Detroit) he wanted to have a go at the red light.

engines rev....menacing glances are exchanged....the light turns green....rubber squeals....and i immediately pull ahead of him. hail to the victors, valiant...

my car: February 2004 build 545i | sport package | Dinan Stage 3 tune | Dinan Throttle Body | Dinan Dual Air Intake System | Dual RPI Scoops | Super Sprint Headers and Exhaust System | Lowered 2 Inches | Wheels: Cor Forged Colonial 20 x 9 front 20 x 10.5 rear | Breaks: R1 concepts cross drilled & slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads

driver: mean sonofabitch that backs down to no one, grew up on Detroit muscle but graduated to German engineering. daughter tested, mother approved.

(professional driver on a closed course. follow all traffic laws and ordinances.)

Quick Reply: I Raced a '11 Mustang GT 5.0 Today...