E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I Plasti Dipped my (winter) wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 05:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i Sports/Premium package, Sports transmission w/ paddle shifters, Tinted tails/side markers/reflectors, Blacked out emblems
Model Year: 2008

I plasti-dipped my wheels 2 weeks ago and so far love it. I got a great finish on it. thinking about putting glossifier on it at some point. I've also plasti-dipped the 535i badge and keyholes and the silver trim on the lower front bumper months ago and it's held up great. Some pics of all my plasti-dipping are here https://5series.net/forums/topic/122...tion-blackout/
Old 04-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i (10/03) Sport, 6, bk/bk, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Active Headlights, Tinted Windows, Clear Bra! Winter wheels 'plastic dipped'

Originally Posted by naitch
I plasti-dipped my wheels 2 weeks ago and so far love it. I got a great finish on it. thinking about putting glossifier on it at some point. I've also plasti-dipped the 535i badge and keyholes and the silver trim on the lower front bumper months ago and it's held up great. Some pics of all my plasti-dipping are here https://5series.net/forums/topic/122...tion-blackout/
I'm glad you posted that. My current summer rims are the same 124's...nice to see what they would look like. My 15 yr old kid wants me to do the grill and the badge too.

How did you do the badge? On the car? Or...?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i Sports/Premium package, Sports transmission w/ paddle shifters, Tinted tails/side markers/reflectors, Blacked out emblems

Originally Posted by Franko
I'm glad you posted that. My current summer rims are the same 124's...nice to see what they would look like. My 15 yr old kid wants me to do the grill and the badge too.

How did you do the badge? On the car? Or...?

Thanks! The pics aren't that great cause it was evening and I'd already lost a lot of light. I need to do another shoot after put on my M5 rear spoiler. I chose to plasti-dip the 124s cause I want to get new wheels at some point and wanted to see what black would look on the car. I like it!

I did the badge on the car. I taped off around the individual numbers and just sprayed away. After carefully pulling off the tape I was all set. I imagine you could just spray the whole area without taping each number and if the number's edge is far enough from the trunk the plasti-dip should break off there. Regardless make sure you have an xacto knife with you when you start peeling.

For the front silver trim on the bumper I just taped that off as well. No issues. The grilles should be ok to do. Shouldn't be any harder to peel off than the wheels. Just will be tricky to get even coverage with the slats.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 AM
1UP
Members

Originally Posted by naitch
Did you take out the grills to coat them or do it in place?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 1UP
Did you take out the grills to coat them or do it in place?

No I bought matte black grilles. That's the only mod that I didn't plasti-dip. And you would have to remove the grilles and take them apart to do it right. each grill is made up of 2 separate pieces.