E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What is the best for the money?
Steptronic
69.81%
Comfort Access
30.19%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

I need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laet' post='315886' date='Jul 27 2006, 07:43 PM
I've finally made up my mind on interior and exterior options. Now I'm trying to decide if I should drop the Steptronic for the Comfort Access. I had a manual trans before I loved it except for when there was traffic to deal with. The cost to drop the steptronic would cover the cost of the comfort access.

What do you suggest and why?

Help!
If you are thinking about a manual - get one.

The step is a very good auto - but I have always had manuals and I miss it.

That one of the main reasons I am trading in my e60 for a MANUAL 330i msport.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, Steptronic 6, Silver Gray, Black Dakota leather, Anthracite wood, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Premium Sound, pro nav, Active Steering, Park Distance, folding rear seats.

Originally Posted by clarence' post='316607' date='Jul 29 2006, 02:30 PM
TBH, I don't think u'll get the answer here, cos these things are subjective.
U either want manual or auto, then u'll decide on CA if u don't want auto. Basically, CA isn't high priority as it all depends on ur gearbox choice. Ask urself, under what conditions will u drive the car most? Urban areas? Autobahns? Excluding driving enjoyment, BMWs perform well with an auto. Very very few ppl can change gears as fast, or kickdown as well, as an auto. On the other hand, manual means u can use ur left-foot (assuming u don't left-foot brake).
As for CA, yes it's a nice option, but u won't die without it. It also depends on how long u'll keep ur car for. Generally, auto should fetch higher 2nd hand prices than CA.
If u ask me abt my own preference? Then I'll have Steptronic. I won't have CA even if I have manual cos it's a potential security risk.

Thank you very much! I will keep steptronic. If I decide to go with Comfort Access, I'll add it.

I've added all the packages BMW has to offer, still not sure if I need the cold weather pkg, when all I really want is the "Heated Seats" However, the cost of heated seats are $500, and the pkg is $750 adding $250 for the extra options. Moreover, I do kinda like the heated steering wheel.

It gets really cold where I am :'( and many times, I remember wishing I had heated seats.

Active steering is a really nice to have option too. Nav is a must! Prem. pkg is nice! And sport pkg is even better!

I travel the autobahn allot traveling up to 1800k's I love to drive the BMW. In Germany some parts of the freeway (autobahn) is open, meaning you can go as fast as you want. That?s what it's all about.

I cruse at 140 mph and if I'm really in hurry, 150 to 160 at least that's what the speedometer reads.

I once asked a service manger at my local BMW dealer how fast could I drive the car and for how long, he said "it's ok to do 140 for 45 min. the car was designed to take that, you could go longer if you are welling to cover the cost of the gas.

Can't wait to get my 530i
Old 07-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 523i silver, black leather , sunroof , bluetooth , pdc , M sports kit , Steptronic gear box , active stearing , active cruise control

I think steptronic is the best one to chose , It is so efortless and you never feel the gear changes it is that smooth it is realy worth the money and it should save you money in the long run because you will get better fuel ecnomy with an auto
Old 07-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by laet' post='316681' date='Jul 30 2006, 01:34 AM
I've added all the packages BMW has to offer, still not sure if I need the cold weather pkg, when all I really want is the "Heated Seats" However, the cost of heated seats are $500, and the pkg is $750 adding $250 for the extra options. Moreover, I do kinda like the heated steering wheel.

Active steering is a really nice to have option too. Nav is a must! Prem. pkg is nice! And sport pkg is even better!

I cruse at 140 mph and if I'm really in hurry, 150 to 160 at least that's what the speedometer reads.

I once asked a service manger at my local BMW dealer how fast could I drive the car and for how long, he said "it's ok to do 140 for 45 min. the car was designed to take that, you could go longer if you are welling to cover the cost of the gas.

Can't wait to get my 530i
Apart from heated seats & heating steering wheel, wht does the cold weather pack have? An extra $250 seem insignificant, but why waste $250 for sth which u don't need or seldom use. On the other hand, as u said, the weather can be very cold where u're staying, then maybe the extra $250 will save ur life once in a while!
What are ur experiences on Active Steering?? Some like it but some loathe it. Does it feel good on the Autobahn? Seems the engineers have been hard at work on this system for the past few yrs.
I don't know wht Premium pkg has, but I'm sure it's sth that adds to residule value when selling time comes. Sometimes Sport Pkg helps too, but if someone wants the Sport pack for it's dynamics & not it's looks, then he/she will be better off just specifying all it includes individually except the bodykit.
Where I live, taxes on new cars are very high, & options are taxed too. Circumstances forces me to tick boxes sparingly.
I think ur car will cruise Autobahns with no problems. Another forum member posted pics of him doing an indicated 260km/h in his 530i, so 140mph is no problem.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, Steptronic 6, Silver Gray, Black Dakota leather, Anthracite wood, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Premium Sound, pro nav, Active Steering, Park Distance, folding rear seats.

Originally Posted by clarence' post='316745' date='Jul 29 2006, 09:54 PM
Apart from heated seats & heating steering wheel, wht does the cold weather pack have? An extra $250 seem insignificant, but why waste $250 for sth which u don't need or seldom use. On the other hand, as u said, the weather can be very cold where u're staying, then maybe the extra $250 will save ur life once in a while!
What are ur experiences on Active Steering?? Some like it but some loathe it. Does it feel good on the Autobahn? Seems the engineers have been hard at work on this system for the past few yrs.
I don't know wht Premium pkg has, but I'm sure it's sth that adds to residule value when selling time comes. Sometimes Sport Pkg helps too, but if someone wants the Sport pack for it's dynamics & not it's looks, then he/she will be better off just specifying all it includes individually except the bodykit.
Where I live, taxes on new cars are very high, & options are taxed too. Circumstances forces me to tick boxes sparingly.
I think ur car will cruise Autobahns with no problems. Another forum member posted pics of him doing an indicated 260km/h in his 530i, so 140mph is no problem.
Cold Weather Package has:

High-pressure headlight cleaning system
3-stage heated front seats
Heated steering wheel

Active Steering? When parking, it's much easier, On the Autobahn it works up until 70mph after that you are dealing with the normal BMW steering system.

Premium Package has

Dakota leather upholstery and door trim
Poplar Grain wood interior trim
4-way power lumbar support for front seats
Automatic-dimming inside rear-view mirror
Lighting Package
Integrated 3-button Universal garage-door opener

The e60 handle very well at high speeds and in snow and ice too. The DSC works very well, no spinning on Ice and I did not have any side to side sliding, very impressive!