E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

i love the 50/50 weight distribution

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 06:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

50/50 weight distribution makes the car so much more predictable and fun to drive.
under hard braking and acceleration, the platform remains stable and flat.

in 'N'.
i like to roll the car to a full stop at traffic lights (let physics do your braking), this took some pratice in pacing (also to mind the traffic behind as you have no brake light).
the desired effect is stopping the vehicle 2 feet away from the object in front. it is much easier to do this on an uphill stop, hand braking at precisely the moment before the car rolls back.

my garage is slightly inclined on an uphill, i usually never need to touch the brakes and completely stop in exactly the same position inside the garage.
when i take off, i can just let the car roll out of the driveway (in N) then engaging 1st and drive away.

i do need to watch traffic and pedesterians a bit more cautiously, while excerising my 'lazy' habit though.
reversing while need not in 'R', stopping without touching the brakes.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by rollee' date='May 29 2005, 07:30 AM
50/50 weight distribution makes the car so much more predictable and fun to drive.

in 'N'.
i like to roll the car to a full stop at traffic lights (let physics do your braking), this took some pratice in pacing (also to mind the traffic behind as you have no brake light).
the desired effect is stopping the vehicle 2 feet away from the object in front. it is much easier to do this on an uphill stop, hand braking at precisely the moment before the car rolls back.

my garage is slightly inclined on an uphill, i usually never need to touch the brakes and completely stop in exactly the same position inside the garage.
when i take off, i can just let the car roll out of the driveway (in N) then engaging 1st and drive away.

i do need to watch traffic and pedesterians a bit more cautiously, while excerising my 'lazy' habit though.
[snapback]134264[/snapback]
And all this to keep brake dust off your wheels. Now I know why you are "Rollee"
Old 05-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='May 29 2005, 10:21 AM
[quote name='rollee' date='May 29 2005, 07:30 AM']50/50 weight distribution makes the car so much more predictable and fun to drive.

in 'N'.

[snapback]134264[/snapback]
And all this to keep brake dust off your wheels. Now I know why you are "Rollee"
[snapback]134285[/snapback]
[/quote]
I use the manual function of the step to try to do the same thing. Not only dust but extend brake life. Do have to be cautious about no brake lights. I tap them if I see someone coming on too fast or thinking I am not stopping.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on black. 6spd MT, Nav, sports package.

You should have gotten the 6spd manual rollee.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:22 PM
Senior Members

my e60 is 6sp manuel (= m6 in sig).
saving brake dust is a good thing.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by rollee' date='May 29 2005, 09:22 PM
my e60 is 6sp manuel (= m6 in sig).
saving brake dust is a good thing.
[snapback]134386[/snapback]
He probably meant me since I said I shifted the step manually. Yea goyk, I could only get about 40 driving years out of my clutch leg (15-55) Hated to see it go like that but it creeps up on u (age that is) So BMW gave me just what I needed, smooth shifting and a little fun now and then. Afraid my neck would snap off if I got the SMG