E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I have a noise (rattling sound)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's worth a shot asking. I've noticed that on all but the smoothest of streets, I hear what sounds to me like a piece of loose trim rattling. Sitting in the drivers seat (left hand drive) it seems like it's located near the right rear passenger seat. While I had a passenger there one time though, I asked and she said she couldn't hear anything near her. There were kids in the car so it was generally noisy though.

When I'm by myself (which is 90% of my driving) I have the phat beatz kranked so I can't hear the rattle. When I'm not by myself though and have to have the music at a level allowing conversation, it's there to annoy.

Has anyone else had a noise there that sounds like a piece of loose trim ? I've searched high and low while the car wasn't moving but haven't found anything.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

When I don't have my Phat Beatz playing all I hear is the engine purring.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Maybe you have some junk in your trunk. Under the floor/side panels, there could be something rattling around.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stoic1
Maybe you have some junk in your trunk. Under the floor/side panels, there could be something rattling around.
Good point. Under the carpet where the spare wheel is, I might have some tools or something in there. Gonna empty the trunk tomorrow and see if that helps
Old 11-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Members

Accoustics can be deceptive. I had a similar noise and found it to be the passenger head rest rattling. Some clever person before me slit a length of hose down the middle and wrapped it around the posts on the drivers head rest to shut it up. I did the same for the passenger and it's gone...
Old 11-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I had rattling that I couldn't pin point for the longest time, and after I figured it out, it was a moment.

First, check your trunk and see if the jack is making the rattle.

Next, see if it's your sun roof. Mine turned out to be the sun roof, even though it did sounded like it was coming from the rear. I fixed it by placing double sided table to the trouble spot and taped electrical tape over it. Since it's black, you can't really see it anyway.

From where you're describing the sound, my guess is it's the sun roof for you as well.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rictor
Accoustics can be deceptive. I had a similar noise and found it to be the passenger head rest rattling. Some clever person before me slit a length of hose down the middle and wrapped it around the posts on the drivers head rest to shut it up. I did the same for the passenger and it's gone...
Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I had rattling that I couldn't pin point for the longest time, and after I figured it out, it was a moment.

First, check your trunk and see if the jack is making the rattle.

Next, see if it's your sun roof. Mine turned out to be the sun roof, even though it did sounded like it was coming from the rear. I fixed it by placing double sided table to the trouble spot and taped electrical tape over it. Since it's black, you can't really see it anyway.

From where you're describing the sound, my guess is it's the sun roof for you as well.
These are two great suggestions, and things I hadn't considered. I'll give both of them some prodding / pushing / pulling tomorrow before I try emptying the trunk.

So glad I started this thread
Old 11-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Contributors

see if it's your sun roof. Mine turned out to be the sun roof, even though it did sounded like it was coming from the rear. I fixed it by placing double sided table to the trouble spot and taped electrical tape over it. Since it's black, you can't really see it anyway.

We have a winner

It was indeed the sunroof sliding cover. Just the slightest pressure with my finger pushing it upwards stopped it. I shoved a folded-up tissue in the gap at the back and that's all it took to stop the noise. I'll find something better to use eventually, but that's fine for now

Old 11-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I had the same issue too. From my seat (driver's) i heard it in the rear. Then in the passenger's foot-well, then under my foot- well, it drove me crazy. Then my wife gets in the car and tells me it coming from under her seat. It sounded like metal to metal rattling. Sounded like it was coming form outside of the vehicle too. Then about 6 months later by change i heard it in the sunroof. The metal on the front of the sunroof was making contact with the glass. Felt on top of metal worked. Mine was on the opposite side of yours and it was under the sliding cover...the metal lip making contact with the glass

I get some door creaking and so forth which thoroughly cleaning and spraying some 'static guard' (laundry stuff) on the rubber has eliminated the issue thus far. Unless your door has been taken apart due to an accident/repair...then i'd be sure to make sure everything is re-fitted properly and use a foam and new clips to get a nice tight fit.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

i'm having this same problem with the sunroof. for the longest time i thought it was my suspension or some loose body part, but it's been getting warm over here in socal, so when i opened the shade on the sunroof, the noise was more noticeable and i was finally able to pin point it to the sunroof.

what exactly though is making this noise? when the sunroof is opened, it doesn't make this noise. if it's closed and i knock on the glass, it'll mimic the noise.

where are you putting black tape or felt to stop the glass from making the rattling noise? it's late, and i'll look again this morning, but any help would be amazing.

THANK YOU!

Quick Reply: I have a noise (rattling sound)