E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

i had to ask

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 E90 M3

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jul 5 2005, 10:15 PM
Now that i look at it mroe I think I would get it if it was availabe here in the US... US BLAH! we get nothing...?
[snapback]146111[/snapback]
we get highgloss with the sport package in canada
Old 07-06-2005, 03:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ats77' date='Jul 5 2005, 11:06 PM
[quote name='tonye60' date='Jul 5 2005, 08:39 PM']sorry had to ask
[snapback]146033[/snapback]
ya see the thread linked here in this post section

it is a HIGH GLOSS balck trim, no dull black like normal
yes to have non-chrome you have to pay but well worth each cent.
My wife chose the color and all and we saw a 6er w shadowline indiviual high gloss -we took it for our car and will pay for it is awesome very classy but sporty this is way much easier to keep clean and not the opposite as many say. BETTER looking and unique.
[snapback]146065[/snapback]
[/quote]

It s not easyer to clean at least the middle part between the windows. After 1 or 2 years it will be full of scratches and spots. Sure now its easy to clean but give it some time.... The under part of the window, the mirror base and upper window trim is indeed easy to clean. Its just that middle part between the windows that a problem. When opening the doors you have that part always in your hands...thats one of the reasons it weares out

That being sayd it realy a cool thing to have but after a while you will start to hate it. I have owned 5 bmws and all my friends drives bmws, a lot of them complained about the trim middle part. Me to i have some experience in the matter having owned previous bmw s.

But all in all i still would recommend it. You just have to take realy good care of the middle part. With some effort it will stay nice for a longer time. But if you neglit it the thing will become ugly Never clean it with a cloth and dont put pressure on that part if you wash the car. Just realy smood soft wipes and make sure the zeemvel is proper
Old 07-06-2005, 03:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pmmeke' date='Jul 6 2005, 05:12 AM
[quote name='ats77' date='Jul 5 2005, 11:06 PM']
ya see the thread linked here in this post section

it is a HIGH GLOSS balck trim, no dull black like normal
yes to have non-chrome you have to pay but well worth each cent.
My wife chose the color and all and we saw a 6er w shadowline indiviual high gloss -we took it for our car and will pay for it is awesome very classy but sporty this is way much easier to keep clean and not the opposite as many say. BETTER looking and unique.
[snapback]146065[/snapback]
It s not easyer to clean at least the middle part between the windows. After 1 or 2 years it will be full of scratches and spots. Sure now its easy to clean but give it some time.... The under part of the window, the mirror base and upper window trim is indeed easy to clean. Its just that middle part between the windows that a problem. When opening the doors you have that part always in your hands...thats one of the reasons it weares out

That being sayd it realy a cool thing to have but after a while you will start to hate it. I have owned 5 bmws and all my friends drives bmws, a lot of them complained about the trim middle part. Me to i have some experience in the matter having owned previous bmw s.

But all in all i still would recommend it. You just have to take realy good care of the middle part. With some effort it will stay nice for a longer time. But if you neglit it the thing will become ugly Never clean it with a cloth and dont put pressure on that part if you wash the car. Just realy smood soft wipes and make sure the zeemvel is proper

[snapback]146184[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks for confirming what I said earlier in another thread . I mentioned the fact that my wife's X5 has that trim and it is now full of oxidized water marks, stains, scratches, and fingerprints. Sure, if everyone uses the door handle to open/close the door (as someone posted) then there will be no fingerprints, but the rest of the stains would still be there. Besides, the fingerprint are not permenent and they do wash off easily, it's the other stains that don't come out. I get fingerprint marks on the matte Shadowline on my 545i too (if the fingers are oily, etc.), but it doesn't get any of the other stains that my wifes high gloss Shadowline gets.

I also agree about the wide vertical parts being the problem and not the base and upper horizontal trim. It's only the wide vertical part between the front and rear window, and in the case of the X5, also the wide vertical panel in the back of the rear window that is the problem. The rest, including the black part of the mirrors are still clean and shiny just like they were when new.

I agree that if taken care of properly from the beginning it should be much better, but I did not know that with my wife's car since before that I had only had matte shadowline trim. Maybe Rejex or some other sealent applied when the car is new and reapplied every few months would help.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Jul 6 2005, 04:58 AM
Maybe Rejex or some other sealent applied when the car is new and reapplied every few months would help.
[snapback]146188[/snapback]

Can we put Rejex on the matt finish of the black trim? (shadow line, non high gloss one) I see left over water stains on it now and its bugging me.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jul 6 2005, 08:10 AM
[quote name='rodybmw' date='Jul 6 2005, 04:58 AM']Maybe Rejex or some other sealent applied when the car is new and reapplied every few months would help.
[snapback]146188[/snapback]

Can we put Rejex on the matt finish of the black trim? (shadow line, non high gloss one) I see left over water stains on it now and its bugging me.
[snapback]146217[/snapback]
[/quote]

I assume that Rejex can be used on matte shadowline, but the waterspots have to be removed first so that Rejex does not seal them in. I bought a bottle of Rejex a few months ago but never got around to using it until last weekend. The only things I did were the wheels and exhaust, but I have to say the ease of application and the ultra slippery feel after I wiped off the haze was amazing. I am now planning on doing the entire car including the glass and matte shadowline. I need to find out what to use to clean the paint and the windshield before applying Rejex. I have very tiny spots on the windshield (and I assume the paints as well) that are only visible when light hits them. They may be tree sap or something. I would use my glass polish but I don't know if Rejex can be applied over that or not. I think I'll post a new thread with these questions. The people who have been using Rejex for a while may know the answers.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Jul 6 2005, 03:23 PM
I assume that Rejex can be used on matte shadowline, but the waterspots have to be removed first so that Rejex does not seal them in.? I bought a bottle of Rejex a few months ago but never got around to using it until last weekend.? The only things I did were the wheels and exhaust, but I have to say the ease of application and the ultra slippery feel after I wiped off the haze was amazing.? I am now planning on doing the entire car including the glass and matte shadowline.? I need to find out what to use to clean the paint and the windshield before applying Rejex.? I have very tiny spots on the windshield (and I assume the paints as well) that are only visible when light hits them.? They may be tree sap or something. I would use my glass polish but I don't know if Rejex can be applied over that or not.? I think I'll post a new thread with these questions.? The people who have been using Rejex for a while may know the answers.
[snapback]146373[/snapback]

I would use a razor blad for the glass and a Clay bar for the body paint. Hummm I do wnat to apply rejex to the matt finish of the trim... just need to get the water spots off first... you want to try first?