E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I got an accident story too

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So as many of you know, I'm away from home for school for most of the year and come home in between semesters when we have breaks. So I leave the Bimmer behind and my dad alternates between driving his car and the Bimmer to keep the battery running.

Well, yesterday I get a call from my mom telling me the car had been in an accident. Still, she said it wasn't major, another car had hit them from behind while they were stopped, or atleast that's what I think she was saying as I stopped listening after she told me they were in the Bimmer and kept thinking "why?" She said it was just the real bumper was damaged and that it wasn't that bad but they'd get insurance to replace it and all should be good.

Still, after owning the car for just a year and two months, the car's had two major instances of damage and I can't help but feel bad. The first time was last winter when my dad was pulling into the garage in the snow and gave it a little too much gas and ended up spinning the wheels on some ice causing the car to move sideways and hit the brick wall edge on his way in. It left a football size gash about two inches deep on the passenger side door which also had to be replaced. I felt pretty shitty then too.

So now it's been about 12 hours since the call, and while I was really pissed and sad that despite me keeping the car meticulously clean and waxed and for a 20 year old with a car like that, not driving like a prick and taking good care of it it still manages to get fooked, I'm over it now and want to know what can be done.

I've always wanted the mtech front, but since the front wasn't damaged, just the rear bumper, it's gonna be hard to milk that out of insurance too. But I was thinking, how much more expensive is an OEM front bumper than an mtech bumper? And how much more is an OEM rear than an mtech rear? Can we make a case with insurance that if the mtech is cheaper, we'd go for that, use the money saved towards the front bumper (maybe side skirts since front and back look weird without sides) and then pay what's leftover from that? I'm not sure how much insurance is going to cover, but I guess what I'm trying to say is, is this a blessing in disguise for someone who wanted the mtech kit but had no valid reason for the parents?
Old 09-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Contributors

i think they are priced nearly the same but don't take my word for it
Old 09-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by mikeg3tsguap' post='1017727' date='Sep 26 2009, 03:27 PM
i think they are priced nearly the same but don't take my word for it
I think you are correct.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Contributors

Moral of the story is don't let anyone drive the car, especially family
Old 09-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

Does anyone have any info on the insurance aide of the issue? Would it be sensible to think that I can get antech rear out of them and then a front from the rents?
Old 09-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about the troubles man, but new mods always keep it going for our cars. as another option though, we do have our replica mtech front and replica sides
Old 09-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60714' post='1018004' date='Sep 26 2009, 10:01 PM
Does anyone have any info on the insurance aide of the issue? Would it be sensible to think that I can get antech rear out of them and then a front from the rents?
The insurance company doesn't care about what parts you put on your car, you need to talk to the body shop. The insurance appraiser will give you (or the body shop directly) whatever they appraise the damage to be. If the body shop is cool, they'll gladly order an mtech bumper for you instead and if there is a price difference you can pay it out of pocket.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

Dang. I dunno if the body shop that did the work on our passenger door is approved by our insurance company. We fixed that one out of pocket instead of filing through insurance.