E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I feel like a dog with my tail between my legs driving away last night

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well last night I was out driving enjoying the gorgeous 70 degree evening air and my new mods-a nice LOUD (so I thought) sounding intake, remus exhaust and a fresh tune that on its third day reall "came alive"-hence why I was enjoying driving (this is my 07 530 by the way). I was also thinking again wow-how fast this felt and as I past most cars people would look and more so liste to the german sound go buy and honestly sounds more powerful than it is-either way it was feeling fast.

So probably-well definetly is my own fault but from seriously like 6 blocks or more away I heard the classic "tin can" honda civic sound that is USUALLY not mistakeable for a riced out civic-and I am sure many out there can beat me but they are always up for a race. So I cruise up a bit faster to find this car-and literally blocks and blocks later-way out of my previous site I was shocked and had to double take but its coming from a BIMMER-and I mean like the most high pitched tin canny sound ever-but LOUD. It was pitch black so I could not tell and plus the car was black-I get closer and I cant exactly tell but I drop to 2nd and rev pretty loud normally-well right when I flew by him to urge him on-that is when I saw the M-badge.

Well as blowing by him I am realizing this is an E60 M5-and he hits it right when I go by and literally sucks my doors off and just destroys me. Drowning out the sound of my intake/exhaust with this FKING LOUD exhaust-thing was it sounded like absolutely shit-but was loud as all hell and only could be from a big V8/10/12-Just to save face I tried to give him a pull and kept flooring it but he walked me like a human steps on an ant.

He slowed, revved and wanted to go again-obviously not realizing I was a 530-maybe thinking a 550 or not knowing or thinking I was supercharged or something. Anyway I catch up and just slow down and drive beside him as we split seperate directions down a fork in the road-as he is leaving he floors and revs it and breaks the sound barrier-just deffening loud even at normal driving-

Awesome car and power but MAN did this guy have a hideous sounding exhaust.

Also just felt like crap driving home realizing there is always someone out there better and faster-but man is the M so muhc faster than the measley 530.

I was out again early this morning and I quickly forgot-and was enjoying my car again but man driving home i felt like my dog sometimes looks after he gets barked at and his tail goes between her legs and she darts off-is this normal to have felt like this? Part jelousy and part just feeling inadequate in a wierd sorta way-it was odd
Old 05-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Members

LMAO! The loud exhaust thing is very common over at m5board.com. There are some that are very nice, and some that are just way too loud to drive comfortably. The BMW already has a difficult reputation to deal with because of all the haters and the F1 style exhausts don't help.

As for power, its not even close. The M5 could of easily had some nice power mods to make the difference even more pronounced. The Evosport headers and power pulleys seem to be very popular.

As for better and faster, that seems to be the rule. Also no dragging on public streets!!!
Old 05-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jcflys' post='421437' date='May 5 2007, 02:23 PM
LMAO! The loud exhaust thing is very common over at m5board.com. There are some that are very nice, and some that are just way too loud to drive comfortably. The BMW already has a difficult reputation to deal with because of all the haters and the F1 style exhausts don't help.

As for power, its not even close. The M5 could of easily had some nice power mods to make the difference even more pronounced. The Evosport headers and power pulleys seem to be very popular.

As for better and faster, that seems to be the rule. Also no dragging on public streets!!!
You know come to think of it-if it is F1 racing sounding you mean-come to think of it that is ALOT what it sounded like. But something about the acoustics in a race track or those REALLY powerful engines make it sound mean-this one was just a bit too high-pitched copy of the race cars you hear-At WOT it did sound pretty mean but at regular driving it was just awful. All I am saying is I would be careful to buy something that sounds good on that much hp since it will be aplified-I mean spend 80k on a car and sound like a tin can is strapped on back is not smart! But yes nice cars.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='421425' date='May 5 2007, 04:22 PM
Well as blowing by him I am realizing this is an E60 M5-and he hits it right when I go by and literally sucks my doors off and just destroys me.

Also just felt like crap driving home realizing there is always someone out there better and faster-but man is the M so muhc faster than the measley 530.

lol..........the 530 is fast...but not FAST........a M5 will make you feel like you're pedaling a bicycle trying to keep up!!!

Mitsubishi....infiniti...some acuras.....tuned hondas.....will all make you feel like crap driving home from a speed standpoint.....but here's the catch....none of those cars is as smooth, well engineered/built, styled the way your 530 is!!! They'll kill you in the 0-60...but go home in a Mitsubishi as you drive home in a 5 series !!!!! lol
Old 05-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Banned

Cool

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='421498' date='May 5 2007, 08:31 PM
lol..........the 530 is fast...but not FAST........a M5 will make you feel like you're pedaling a bicycle trying to keep up!!!

Mitsubishi....infiniti...some acuras.....tuned hondas.....will all make you feel like crap driving home from a speed standpoint.....but here's the catch....none of those cars is as smooth, well engineered/built, styled the way your 530 is!!! They'll kill you in the 0-60...but go home in a Mitsubishi as you drive home in a 5 series !!!!! lol
Ya no doubt-and not at all trying to be some poser but with a simple intake and exhaust or even stock-90 percent of the population THINK the 5 series is fast-it looks pretty aggressive. Heck before I looked into it I did not even know what all the numbers meant-which were fast and which werent etc-I never was into bimmers before this car. So I am guessing most people are the same.

With my intake and exhaust even the fast cars think I am fast and often stay back and do not wanna challenge-only the true car people or kids will bring on the 5-er-anyone who knows stock hp is 258! Still urks me-come on BMW I mean for a 50-60k car they could not just have dropped a 300 plus hp engine in the first place-seriousssly.

But totally agree-ESPECIALLY in cool weather. It finally cooled off where I am at to around 65 degrees and that inline 6 is just silky smooth-bimmers are not made for extreme heat-definetly do not run as well but MAN smooth is an understatment. I cannot even tell the car is on with my windows up and driving on the freeway until you step on it-crazyiness
Old 05-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

did it sound like these?

M5 w/ Eisenmann Race exhaust

M5 w/ Eisenmann Meisterschaft exhaust

M5 w/ Kreissieg exhaust
http://www.kreissieg-usa.com/index.php?pag...id=&pid=103

btw, i love the loud high-pitched f1 sound, and if i had an m5 i'd mod it that way as well.
if you're not into the high-pitched sound, that's cool. i guess you like the deep sound then?
maybe like this?

540i w/ Remus

i think the appeal of the high-pitch is that that m5 is only sedan that comes even close to these -

Gallardo w/ Tubi

355 w/ MS Racing

CS w/ Capristo 3