E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I drove the 535xi 528xi LCI today.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just driven both the xi LCI models back to back.

I am very impressed by the 528xi, its handling is fantastic but I am amazed by its power. Guess like many people the 528 badge is totally deceiving, I don't feel the car is underpower in any way, but its modest rated power is perfectly paired with the chasis. The result drivability is impressive, high wow factor. I am sure with performance slicks ( like PS2) and sports manuel, it is only going to be better.
If trying to smoke every other fancy car is not your everyday cup of tea, get the 528 (i / xi is a personal preference). Save the costs for more options or better wheels makes great sense for the 528i.

On the 535xi : "Where is the power?" I thought the turbo was switched off!
The anticipated feeling of " VROOM" is very different to other turbo charged vehicles. I thought it wasn't there, because the turbo kicks in @1500! If this is BMW's theory of reducing turbo lag, their engineers did a fine job on being creative.
I find the exhaust note to be delicious and more enjoyable to the engine's purr, I believe this is where the excitement differs to the 550i as there is an unmistakable roar from the V8.
The 535BT is plenty power fast enough, but I am too over eager from reviews / writeups that I wasn't as amazed as by the 528 nor it as promising as a 550i replacement. That .2 seconds is a very long time.
Handling and braking are all top notch first class, it is expected but no different to the 528i at all.

The above are xi models, I can only imagine their RWD cousins 528i/535i to perform even better in all departments.

The cosmetic improvements on the LCI seems minor at a glance but prove to be huge for me.
I especially like the new red LEDs rear lights, both the stripes and dots are gorgeous even under bright sunlight, the new front corners are very sporty, a well designed improvement to match the cars performance oriented character.
The new front air dam make the car unique to the 3 series, I can now better distinguish it from the BMW family, that is a good thing.
Even the amber front maker on the fender looks well placed in the real car than in photos.

As for the not too good disappointments of the LCI.
Cosmetically it is the colour choices available, Both interior and exterior colours choices are boring compared to the 3 series or other similar class manufacturers (eg. Audi and Infinti has wow colour combinations). BMW made the E60 young at heart for the conservative old man! They are either too dark or tried too hard, someone should go recalibrate all the monitors at BMW R&D.
Even if the buyer is willing to pay extra for an individual custom colour not everything is approved, these marketing spagetti! Simple fresh colours like Sparkling Graphite with a champagne or cinnamon interior, where to get? Up until now, BMW cannot make a colour correct red, only nailed the blue in interlagos once (remember smurf blue M3? Yuck!). That new gorgous blue interior has fallen short to be two shades too dark, and how about making it twin tone on the seats? What happen to a happy red/orange interior for the 5 series? Anyways, i think it is wrong to limit the colour on a 50k automobile to black, white, grey, blue and silver.

That automatic gear box, I dont want to go there. Yes it is that bad.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by rollee' post='434058' date='Jun 9 2007, 10:25 PM
As for the not too good disappointments of the LCI.
Cosmetically it is the colour choices available, Both interior and exterior colours choices are boring compared to the 3 series or other similar class manufacturers (eg. Audi and Infinti has wow colour combinations). BMW made the E60 young at heart for the conservative old man! They are either too dark or tried too hard, someone should go recalibrate all the monitors at BMW R&D.
Even if the buyer is willing to pay extra for an individual custom colour not everything is approved, these marketing spagetti! Simple fresh colours like Sparkling Graphite with a champagne or cinnamon interior, where to get? Up until now, BMW cannot make a colour correct red, only nailed the blue in interlagos once (remember smurf blue M3? Yuck!). That new gorgous blue interior has fallen short to be two shades too dark, and how about making it twin tone on the seats? What happen to a happy red/orange interior for the 5 series? Anyways, i think it is wrong to limit the colour on a 50k automobile to black, white, grey, blue and silver.
Interesting review... but I agree wiht you on the colors... What Happened???? They're so plain and boring now!

For Red I like Imola Red... Blue LeMans Blue was nice and now Interlagos Blue is a good replacement. Cinnamon interior was the BEST in the M3!!!!

BMW needs a blood red interior like in Bentleys... the E90's red interior is close but not bloody red enough...
Old 06-10-2007, 05:19 AM
Members

I'm not sue I understand your review. I have a 535xi this weekend for a test drive and am simply amazed by the performance. It seems like you are complaining about there being no turbo lag, and the sudden push that accompanies a full throttle hit after the turbo spools up. If that is what you are getting at, I think you miss the point. BMW has put 300 lb. ft. of torque in this car without the extra 200 lbs. over the front wheels (a la 550). You get to drive a performance car (ket's face it, the last 6 cylinder engine was a bit weak at this price point) at a reasonable price for similar performance to the 550. If you like, read Car and Driver's review of the 2008 models: http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/13051...w-5-series.html

For someone who can benefit from an awd sedan, this has to be a top consideration. I may be one of those conservative "old guys" at 49, but who do you think this car is marketed to? 25 year old whiz kids who made a million in the .com bubble or the few guys who are operating internet pharmacies? I don't think so. BMW makes mistakes, but I think they know their target market.

The 535i (xi) will sell well to those looking for a competent 4 door sedan with exceptional performance. At $80,000+ (CAD), this car has near 550 performance, for $10,000 less. Anyone who buys the 550 ow will feel gutted in 6 months when they up he performance of the V8 for the same money of the current engine.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by grover432' post='434102' date='Jun 10 2007, 09:19 AM
I'm not sue I understand your review. I have a 535xi this weekend for a test drive and am simply amazed by the performance. It seems like you are complaining about there being no turbo lag, and the sudden push that accompanies a full throttle hit after the turbo spools up. If that is what you are getting at, I think you miss the point. BMW has put 300 lb. ft. of torque in this car without the extra 200 lbs. over the front wheels (a la 550). You get to drive a performance car (ket's face it, the last 6 cylinder engine was a bit weak at this price point) at a reasonable price for similar performance to the 550. If you like, read Car and Driver's review of the 2008 models: http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/13051...w-5-series.html

For someone who can benefit from an awd sedan, this has to be a top consideration. I may be one of those conservative "old guys" at 49, but who do you think this car is marketed to? 25 year old whiz kids who made a million in the .com bubble or the few guys who are operating internet pharmacies? I don't think so. BMW makes mistakes, but I think they know their target market.

The 535i (xi) will sell well to those looking for a competent 4 door sedan with exceptional performance. At $80,000+ (CAD), this car has near 550 performance, for $10,000 less. Anyone who buys the 550 ow will feel gutted in 6 months when they up he performance of the V8 for the same money of the current engine.
I agree and I'm 41 still young and not a whiz kid with millions . The car is awesome to drive. It has it faults but so do many others. The interior change is subtle but take a closer look and you'll see the significant changes. The engine by far is the best part of the whole car. I owned the 2002 525I and loved the ride but hated the lack of power. Now i've jumped leagues with this car and engine. I still wish I had the sports pack but I give thanks that I can own a car like this and enjoy it with my family, and by myself \--- ..hahhahaha
Old 06-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Members

I had mixed feelings when I first saw the new gear knob.... But after driving the LCI 5, I take back everything I said about it.... it really feels comfortable and just soooo right..... We'll have to see whether it wear out quickly but it does feel good....

As for the interior, well, I prefer the pre-LCI one.... the older one just feels more solid... Don't like the new door grabs (of the 3 series) and the center conole... thought iDrive was supposed to reduce button cluster.... why have they just added more new buttons??? I haven't seen the programming for the new buttons but if the programable steering wheel buttons are anything to go by, it is not the much useful.... I mean, most of us here (in Singapore) don't have the phone and voice command function.... so the two buttons are useless.... and the other two, well, there are limited functions you can program them.... but I suppose it is still not wrong to call them, PROGRAMMABLE BUTTONS.....

I have to agree that the exterior lights are nice.... I have managed to change my rear tail lights to LED and they are sweet..... There is not much difference between the current front lights and those of yore. Oh, another thing, the headlight switches in the LCI feel sooooo much better too......

My 2 cents...