E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I-Drive System Dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

Well, after perusing this board and feeling good about the trouble free experience that I was having with my E60, the gremlins struck. My I-Drive will not start up, only get the BMW logo screen, which fades in and out. Tried the three finger salute, and nothing. Shut the car down several times and restarted, nothing. No radio, no control over the climate controls other than the manual dash controls. Locked up my "Bluetooth" phone, etc. So, I took Baby2 to the Doctor, and the Doctor said, "what did you do to your Baby." The Doctor said it may be a few days before he can diagnose the problem. So, he loaned me a X-5, and sent me on my way. We will see what happens next.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:29 AM
JDN
Contributors

Been there and done that, joepoole. The "doctor" kept it for 14 days and sent it back improperly programmed. Mine would try to boot for 10 seconds, go blank for 5 seconds, and recycle adnauseum. I was on a long all night drive and put my ball cap over the iDrive screen to keep my pupils from wearing out.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Mar 3 2005, 08:29 PM
Been there and done that, joepoole.? The "doctor" kept it for 14 days and sent it back improperly programmed. Mine would try to boot for 10 seconds, go blank for 5 seconds, and recycle adnauseum. I was on a long all night drive and put my ball cap over the iDrive screen to keep my pupils from wearing out.
[snapback]96690[/snapback]

Remind me Jim...was that out of the blue or after a software update??
Old 03-03-2005, 03:50 PM
JDN
Contributors

Andy, that was about a month after the pickup from the 28 day software update experience. All I did was insert a new CD, in the right slot at that.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

Originally Posted by joepoole' date='Mar 3 2005, 02:46 PM
Well, after perusing this board and feeling good about the trouble free experience that I was having with my E60, the gremlins struck.? My I-Drive will not start up, only get the BMW logo screen, which fades in and out.? Tried the three finger salute, and nothing.? Shut the car down several times and restarted, nothing.? No radio, no control over the climate controls other than the manual dash controls.? Locked up my "Bluetooth" phone, etc. So, I took Baby2 to the Doctor, and the Doctor said, "what did you do to your Baby."? The Doctor said it may be a few days before he can diagnose the problem.? So, he loaned me a X-5, and sent me on my way.? We will see what happens next.
[snapback]96668[/snapback]
Well Baby2 came home from the Hospital today. It seems that Baby2 needed some "brain" surgery. The Doctor replaced the CCC Control Module, and recoded the system. I have software version 15.2 according to the SA. Everything seems to work as before, although the I-Drive does seem a bit more responsive than before. FYI, according to the SA this would have cost me about $2K if the car were out of warranty, so I think I will opt for the extension, sometime before the basic warranty expires.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is the worst case scenario.

Joe :'(
Old 03-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Mine went in to service for blank iDrive screen on Saturday. Service called yesterday to let me know they found three fault codes, all requiring different costly and hard to come by parts. BMW (NA or DE I am not sure which) told them to wait for roving super tech with special test gear to be sure of diagnosis. He is supposed to be there today. Expectation was Thursday or Friday return to operation.

Initial indication was a tearing of the display much like TV horizontal sync loss right after start up when leaving parking lot at work. Would come back for a few seconds, then do it again. About 60-120 seconds of this then a gradual disappearance of the screen (all black). I had some functionality such as stuck on SAT radio but could use SW button to change preset channels. After engine start the iDrive wheel would be loose, but after the typical boot up time it would have resistance all the time. It did not appear that there was any real control of iDrive, however.

Will post what the work order says.

They gave a ?05 745i as loaner. The Nav disk is the same as mine (2004-2) but the map display is not as feature rich and detailed (missing roads) as on my 6er. I have to suppose CIP version might impact this but would not expect it to impact the presence or absence of roads. Do not like 7s version of CC, E60/E63 version much better IMO. God the gearshift is the pits. In and up/down some for D or R and less so for N and push a button for P. I may just crash this thing before I get my 6er back.

Whoa Boy ? those comfort seats ? really nice.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

Better go ahead and cross your toes too, Joe.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

mine's at the "doctor" too - have a brand spanking new X3 ... supposed to be getting mine back tomorrow or friday ... hopefully not much later.