E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I drive shotcut

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sure some of you will be aware of this feature but for those who are not.

If hold the i drive controller in any direction for two seconds it will take you straight onto the last screen you were using, for example if your currently in the navigation screen and push and hold the idrive controller forwards it will take you straight onto the last screen you used in the communication menu,likewise if your in the navigation menu and pull and hold the controller back it will take you into your last entertainment screen. This makes getting around the Idrive quicker than pressing the menu button repeatedly. I have found that not many people are aware of this and it does make things a lot quicker.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Yes, that's a feature that was available on the 7series idrive even before the E60 was launched.

Was posted here a long time ago, that this also works on the E60.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hodgson100' post='381395' date='Jan 21 2007, 07:08 PM

If hold the i drive controller in any direction for two seconds it will take you straight onto the last screen you were using, for example if your currently in the navigation screen and push and hold the idrive controller forwards it will take you straight onto the last screen you used in the communication menu,likewise if your in the navigation menu and pull and hold the controller back it will take you into your last entertainment screen. This makes getting around the Idrive quicker than pressing the menu button repeatedly. I have found that not many people are aware of this and it does make things a lot quicker.
Thanks, it is a good info.

I am quite new here, this info might be old but not for newbies... like me.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:01 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 520d carbon black M tech with black leather, xenons + exclusive line option pack

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='381415' date='Jan 22 2007, 02:16 AM
Yes, that's a feature that was available on the 7series idrive even before the E60 was launched.

Was posted here a long time ago, that this also works on the E60.

... and is mentioned in the owners manual as well, but for those who never read it=> good info
Old 01-22-2007, 01:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

ha...I've been here since the beginning and I was not aware of this feature...thanks for sharing
Old 01-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

hmmm never knew..thanks for the info now i jus gotta get in my car and try it
Old 01-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by brakki' post='381564' date='Jan 22 2007, 11:01 AM
... and is mentioned in the owners manual as well, but for those who never read it=> good info

...the what? Never heard of it
Old 01-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

Originally Posted by brakki' post='381564' date='Jan 22 2007, 10:01 AM
That is one of the major problems with this car. You should rarely have to refer to the owners manual and certainly not read it. Well designed machines should be intuitive.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Nevermind' post='381760' date='Jan 22 2007, 09:28 PM
That is one of the major problems with this car. You should rarely have to refer to the owners manual and certainly not read it. Well designed machines should be intuitive.
I beg to disagree. First of all, what's intuitive about the two or three pedal arrangement that all cars use? Not to mention the gears arrangement or the levers to the side of the steering column for indicators, lights etc. We have all had to learn how to use these when learning to drive, and the only thing that saves us from having to read about these again with each new car is the fact that they are a common standard, not that they are intuitive.

Secondly, the feature referred to - although very useful - is hardly indispensible to use the car. Apple Macs are generally revered as "intuitive" to use (not that they are, in my view, but never mind). However, the various shortcuts to cut, copy, paste etc. are NOT intuitive, and no-one would know about them without reading (menus, help files or documentation). But they are meant for "advanced users", not as something that is necessary to use the machine.

Thirdly - as with everything that is potentially lethal - if it comes with instructions (or training requirements), it's generally for a good reason. "I haven't read the manual" is not an excuse that I'd like to hear from the pilot of my next flight.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by Hodgson100' post='381395' date='Jan 22 2007, 12:08 AM

Doesn't seem to work on my 2006 model.

Quick Reply: I drive shotcut