E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I-Drive Screen Backlight

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thelmuffinman32' post='270809
As said if you turn the brightness down on the I-Drive it goes completely black so why can't they make display off feature turn the brightness down to the lowest value as well.
The problem is it doesn't go completely black
Old 04-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Members

maybe, whoever thinks of these little features told the guy who figures out how to make it happen that he wanted the screen to be able to be disabled or turned off and the guy who makes it happen didn't know exactly what that meant, but on a bigger scale. i don't know, i'm just throwing some scenarios out there.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Members

or maybe they forgot because the idrive system controls the climate, audio, and other main features of the car.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Built Nov 06 Silver Grey with Black Leather Steptronic Automatic Tranmission Premium Package Navigation System Sirius Satellite Red Reflectors :-)

I'd say this is one of the drawbacks that need to be improved. It is the exact reason why I never turn it off. For me, leaving it on is less distracting than the blank grey screen.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

I read that the LCD needs to warm up to operate optimally. Maybe that's the reason.. just guessing too.

The backlight when off makes it very irritating in fact especially when driving in the deserted highway/motorway at night.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

I wrote to BMW about this when I first got the car. The Audi A6 screen can be turned off completely and it is also LCD. BMW UK told me it is always on so that you can access data immediately, however the Audi unit comes on straight away so I think its more like a disign mistake / cost cutting solution.

You do eventually get used to it, but occationally it catches me out in really dark surroundings. Not ideal.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nova Invicta' post='273444' date='Apr 24 2006, 12:20 PM
I wrote to BMW about this when I first got the car. The Audi A6 screen can be turned off completely and it is also LCD. BMW UK told me it is always on so that you can access data immediately, however the Audi unit comes on straight away so I think its more like a disign mistake / cost cutting solution.

You do eventually get used to it, but occationally it catches me out in really dark surroundings. Not ideal.
I think it was an excuse for BMW to get away from your answer.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

In the 6er we have a little curtain that ........well never mind, it broke on mine
Old 04-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Members

an lcd xan turn off its backlight......you just wont see the screen, take a look at a backlite watch, you can turnit off....plasmas funcion by the gases actually lighting up the screen in diff colors, lcd's need a backlight, btu they can be turned off, its just another anoying quirk in BMW's stupid software sometimes
Old 04-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is annoying for me also. usually on cut the display off during the day..at night it's useless. even with the display off, the status bar displays alerts..this is probably why the screen's power is not cut..since it needs to warm up. bmw should figure out how to address this annoyance.

Quick Reply: I-Drive Screen Backlight