E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

i drive problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 06:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just taken delivery of a 530i and had to bring it back to the dealer since the CD player and electric seat adjustments were not working properly. The dealer fixed the seats and reset the i drive to fix the cd problem. However, the run flat indicator now displays an error message. The dealer told me that it's showing the error message becaause I changed to after-market wheels and now not using run-flat tires. This doesn't make any sense to me...... Any ideas on how to fix this problem since it's very annoying to drive around with this error message?
Old 08-20-2004, 08:37 AM
Contributors

DN530:
Can't you go through the "initialization" process in the FTM menu on your idrive? I believe that whatever tires or tire pressue you have, when you "reset" the system with "initialize" it clears the warning message.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Contributors

DN530:
ps - welcome aboard, these guys know waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than your dealer will ever know.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

I read somewhere that there are actually NO sensors on the wheels themselves. The system detects the flat tire by comparing the speeds of all 4 wheels among other things.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:17 AM
JDN
Contributors

I keep misinterpreting this section of the manual because it confounds me. First it says one thing and then it says another. What I don't understand is how a change in pressure would cause a wheel to turn any slower, especially a front wheel.

The concept
The Flat Tire Monitor keeps track of the inflation pressures in the four fitted tires as
you drive. The system provides an alert whenever the inflation pressure drops significantly in relation to the pressure in another tire.

The check of the tire inflation pressure is based on monitoring the relative speeds of
the wheels. A flat tire is detected and reported on the basis of a deviation in certain
speed ratios.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Contributors

If the tire is lower in air pressure, the diameter of the tire is smaller resulting in a smaller distance around the tire(circumference). Since you are driving in a straight line at a given speed, you go a similar distance for all the wheels, your lower pressure tire would have to rotate faster to make up for this smaller circumference to equal the same distance traveled by the other tires. I think I got that all correct.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:21 AM
Members

Smile

According to my dealer some cars had this problems when upgraded to version 12.2. They had to revert those cars to version 11.3 to have this fixed... So it again seems to be a bug in BMW software. I am just going to upgrade my 545 to 12.2 to fix the CD player not stopping (but muting) problem. We'll see if the FTM will be affected.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I got a flat and the FTM went off. Had a new tire installed and the FTM came on again, after a day. Reset the FTM and all has been ok.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:20 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Aug 20 2004, 12:17 PM
I keep misinterpreting this section of the manual because it confounds me. First it says one thing and then it says another. What I don't understand is how a change in pressure would cause a wheel to turn any slower, especially a front wheel.

The concept
The Flat Tire Monitor keeps track of the inflation pressures in the four fitted tires as
you drive. The system provides an alert whenever the inflation pressure drops significantly in relation to the pressure in another tire.

The check of the tire inflation pressure is based on monitoring the relative speeds of
the wheels. A flat tire is detected and reported on the basis of a deviation in certain
speed ratios.
If you initialized with a low tire, the FTM would think that was a normal condition and would not report it as being underinflated?
Old 08-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Contributors

JDN, I would imagine that it would still warn you because that low tire would still have to be rotating faster than the others, and the FTM would detect the speed difference right? Might have a problem initializing also?

Quick Reply: i drive problems